Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Help! Husky with points and condensor!

Default Help! Husky with points and condensor!

Hi,

Picked up a Husky 18rl, its from the late 80's and is in almost brand new condition, it has the smallest engine ive seen on a brushy only 18cc and weighs nothing. Anyhow, it has the old points and condensor. the thing is that it has no adjustment re timing, i can move the points closer or further away from the crankshaft, but not advance or retract the timing. the points open up just before TDC (Top Dead Centre). It sounds like it might be knocking at idle but runs really smooth and accelerates well??? It has the three magnet flywheel -Does this control when the spark is released to the plug as well??... confused as hell?? Ive tuned 2 strokes (the old pre 80's victas) and 4 strokes before but this ones got me beat. Is it suppost to run like this? Is pretty much brand new and everything is in new conditon, plenty of spark, compression, carby kit, flywheel pin is fine... Ive also been told that the aftermarket ignition modules wont work onthe old brushies cos of the 3 magnet flywheel.....and info will help
    PS -im not taking it to a dealer lol
    Independent and i know it

Default Re: Help! Husky with points and condensor!

Hi SM, From what I understand of that type of ignition, the energy from the secondary windings to the spark plug is created when the points open. I've played with engines similar where you can't adjust the actual timing of the points but you can adjust how much they open. Opening slightly before TDC sounds pretty right anyway.

The condenser is supposed to stop the energy from the primary windings from bridging the points gap.

Sounds like everything is working ok except the knock at idle? Does the knock go away at fast idle or faster?

Maybe that was a characteristic of that engine?

Maybe the condenser isn't earthing properly and letting some energy back through the points and causing a hiccup?

Thanks edbeek! eased my mind a bit!, it runs perfect at just above idle all the way to full throttle, your prob right might just be the design of the engine. Might take a condenser off an old victa one that i know works and give that a try.

Does anyone know if the aftermkt electronic igniton modules work on these machines, ive got one that i bought for an old victa, will that work?....ive heard mixed things and not game enough to try and blow a $25 part up in 1 second lol

Victa module probably not the best idea. If you got good spark theres nothing wrong with the points and condensor.
    If you really want to go electronic Atom used to do a universal module for brushies but why bother?
    You're right re the magnets. They set the timing, points gap only changes the dwell (basically, how long the points are closed to allow charge to build up in the primary coil windings).
    Knock at idle: Has the flywheel been off? If cranknut isnt tight it will knock on keyway then centrifugal force will tend to lock it up to crank.

Thanks, pretty sure the flywheel nut is tight and aligned propperly, ill pull it off tomorrow and inspect again then reassemble. from what i remember it was a snug fit with no wear on the key as its pretty much brand new.