Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: cancelations

Default cancelations

Hey guys im just wondering how you guys do your books and tell your customers
    at the moment when i do a job i take my diary to them and book them in for 3 weeks in front of them and when they are due i normally call the night before to make sure someone is home to pay me...

though today as im calling my jobs for tomorrow i had 6 jobs on now i have 2, 4 of them cancealed and im spewing not sure what to say to them, i got the sh*ts and told them to just call me when needed....
    cheers guys

Default Re: cancelations

Dont call them! Costs you time and money and gives them a chance to "put it off till next week!"
    I tell them at time of quote they are either weekly or fortnightly and thats that! Only time that changes is if theres a break down, rain, winter or drought.
    The least contact you have with customers the better, unless theres a dollar in it for you!

Spot on Mick! I agree fully.
    Life's a garden, dig it! Life's a garden, dig it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Dont call them! Costs you time and money and gives them a chance to "put it off till next week!"
    I tell them at time of quote they are either weekly or fortnightly and thats that! Only time that changes is if theres a break down, rain, winter or drought.
    The least contact you have with customers the better, unless theres a dollar in it for you!
    My approach as well

The only thing I'm worried about is if I go and no one is home I cut and I have to chase my money

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    The only thing I'm worried about is if I go and no one is home I cut and I have to chase my money
    Organise a place for them to put the money each time you are due. You just do your thing, grab the money and you're on your way. Occasionally people will genuinely forget, but if they try and have a lend of you, pull them into line or flick them once you have your money.
    If you go every second Wednesday or whatever it might be, they should remember to put the money out. Send a group txt to all your clients that are due two days before they are due for the first few cuts so they can make sure they have it for you, then they should know from then on that you will be coming.

I have firm arrangements with each customer. If they pay eft, it gets actioned same day as the mow. If they pay cash, then it is left somewhere. I do call 2 days in advance most times, but its never to ask them if I can mow. Its letting them know that I will be mowing that day. If they say next week or whatever, I tell them that I dont do on call mowing, and perhaps we are not the right service for them. Most back peddle quickly, and fall into line, and the occasionally one will agree, which equals one less pain in the A hole for me. Residential clients are very easy to replace.
    Its fine to be a bit flexable in winter if they are genuinely not growing, but other than that, create your own culture, because its the reason you probably became your own boss in the first place.
    For me its quite normal to put on say 30 new regulars during a marketing run, and to cull it back to 20 in the first few months. You quickly work out which ones to keep, and which ones will become ball and chains to your business.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

i dont ring my clients, cost money, do them every2 ,3 weeks , i leave invoice and they put money in bank , save me time , if they have gates that are locked i ring and they leave gates unlock . i have key to 1 client gate and 1 other i supplied a lock and key and have spare keys works for me , why did they cancell . not long enough for a cut yet ,gunna cost more to do it next week as have run sorted tell them.

Member of forum

At this time of year there is no excuse for putting the cut back a week. Everything is growing and remember you are the boss.

I'm happy to have casuals that ring me, but they are priced accordingly. A casual is where most regs end up that are too irregular and don't really care about the lawns apperance.

i cant imagine "forcing" a customer to have a mow if it "doesnt need it" just so i could pad out my schedule.

i mow when THEY want it, but i DO charge extra if they put it off and it's too long for a regular mowing fee.

i cant imagine people keeping you on if you force them to get a mow "when it doesnt need it"

i just book them in for the following week 2 weeks, then go from there.

2 booking day? sounds like time to do some paperwork or some honey do's for the wife.

lol, or goof off, play the xbox, and have a few beers after 3pm

leave them a service call reminder note = when you finish leave them a note of when there next service call has been scheduled for ( weather conditions pending )and if thay choose to cancel thay need to contact you 24 hours notice of cancelation prior to the service call date ...... also at the bottom of the service call schedule reminder add a little part = notes ........ and if you think there drive way needs spraying or the shrubs need cutting back etc list it with a price = suprising how many contact you back saying yes we will get you to do that for us at the next schedulled visit ....... a lot of people are time sensitive and aint home etc its a friendly way to remind them and keep a basic form of contact with your clients ,also helps with obtaing those little etc jobs while your there and thay = extra $$$$$$....... the note can also be used if you think theres excessive dog crap to pick up or any future price increases ....

Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    i cant imagine "forcing" a customer to have a mow if it "doesnt need it" just so i could pad out my schedule.

i mow when THEY want it, but i DO charge extra if they put it off and it's too long for a regular mowing fee.

i cant imagine people keeping you on if you force them to get a mow "when it doesnt need it"

2 booking day? sounds like time to do some paperwork or some honey do's for the wife.

Whos to say it doesnt need cutting (Im not talking winter?) Grass dosent need to be long to need mowing. Best results when cutting less off, easier work and more funds. It is about the money isnt it?
    If you mow when they need it your "on call!" That may work for you but it certainly doesnt work for me! I mow in different areas. If someone doesnt want a cut that week then it may be 2 weeks or more (rain) before I get back out there. That makes life harder for me, takes longer and costs me more. Pass the cost on? How much percentage wise? They dont like the "excessive growth" charge usually!
    Id rather go out and do 6 lawns in one day than 6 over 2 days. Not always possible but still, far better business wise.

Quote Originally Posted by fitternturnercook View Post
    i dont ring my clients, cost money, do them every2 ,3 weeks , i leave invoice and they put money in bank , save me time , if they have gates that are locked i ring and they leave gates unlock . i have key to 1 client gate and 1 other i supplied a lock and key and have spare keys works for me , why did they cancell . not long enough for a cut yet ,gunna cost more to do it next week as have run sorted tell them.
    They all have the same excuses the green waste bin s full....

Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post

Havn't seen a lawn that "doesn't need it" in Spring. Its code for "cant afford it". I don't thinks it possible to "force" somebody to mow their lawns.
    Geenie if you only have a few bookings, then its a golden opportunity to go door knocking and rake in the cash. There is work everywhere, and you will only be watching it sail by if don't get stuck into it.
    May sound silly, but its also about the clients that you don't have that can make a real difference to the makeup of your business, and the speed in which it grows.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    They all have the same excuses the green waste bin s full....
    You need to stipulate an alternative while quoting new jobs, because otherwise you will always get excuses. Charge by the bag if greenwaste bins are full, and ask them to agree from the start. You definately cant rely on greenswaste bins being empty when you have a full card of jobs. Less then half of my clients have them.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast