Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Wow!! Its really going off here in Melbourne.

Default Wow!! Its really going off here in Melbourne.

Cant keep up atm. Phone ringing non stop, grass growing in overdrive, and not enough hours in the day. I think I got at least 12 calls just from Muslim people alone today, all wanting their grass cut before Sunday (end of Ramadam?) Finding my 3 weeklys are just getting way too long atm,...even the fortnightlys are long. Anything that has not been cut within 3 weeks is a cleanup. Even had 4 walk ups today. If you cant find work atm then you must be sitting at home on the xbox.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

Default Re: Wow!! Its really going off here in Melbourne.

i envy you mate,

it was like that here last summer, couldnt stop them throwing their wallets at ya,

summer is only just starting to go off here, about 2 months late imo

damned weather,

makes ya want to move, lol

Same here Happy, I live north Brisbane(Kallangur) and a very slow dry start to the season...some are still
    3/4 weekly. Just not growing and really dusty.

Brad.

Its funny how some r run off there feet while others sit waiting for the phone to ring, while i've been busy its not a patch on last year two things have happened in my area every man and his dog has started a mowing/gardening run and the big boys/girls are coming into the industry at a great rate so at present its really competitive, keeps you on your toes i guess.

Big boys as in Commercial only operators Scoob? or resi franchise? There are at least 3 new Jimmys in my suburb this spring, and one VIP
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

There is also at least one anonymous crew with no signage doing a large amount of lawns. Over 300 I believe. Have only noticed 3 or 4 new cowboys, and a beer money bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    Big boys as in Commercial only operators Scoob? or resi franchise? There are at least 3 new Jimmys in my suburb this spring, and one VIP
    Big boys/girls that not only do commercial but everything, what i was talking about are the bigger cleaning firms/building companies/landscaping businesses that because of the boom period we currently see ourselves in are coming into the garden maintenance industry to catch the money, from experience they normally buggar off again once it drops off but in the mean time the amount of competitors grows by the day. Dont get me wrong business is still coming in but i have noticed the difference in being able to get my price i want compared to last year. Last season was a free for all some of the prices i was getting were incredible but this year i have found its come back to the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    Big boys/girls that not only do commercial but everything, what i was talking about are the bigger cleaning firms/building companies/landscaping businesses that because of the boom period we currently see ourselves in are coming into the garden maintenance industry to catch the money, from experience they normally buggar off again once it drops off but in the mean time the amount of competitors grows by the day. Dont get me wrong business is still coming in but i have noticed the difference in being able to get my price i want compared to last year. Last season was a free for all some of the prices i was getting were incredible but this year i have found its come back to the field.
    Yep and seem to be in with web pages too. Thats the reason why you ALWAYS have to be thinking about advertising ideas as what has worked for you in the past may well work for you in the future. Things change quickly

Member of forum

Stump how do you know there are three new Jim's in your area? Being a Jimmy myself I would be flat out knowing myself!

The only place I see new guys is at the tip and on the Goldy this year there is no one new Indy or Jims(excluding beer money bobs who are irrelivant).

Member of forum

2010 there was a net 1% gain in Mowing Jimmys nation wide. So we are talking about 20 across Oz when taking into account the ones that left the system and the new ones.

I would say comfortably that there is more net grow with Indy's.

I think Very Important Mowing is actually growing faster than Jimbos. There at least 10 of them here (compared to two Jimbos) and they continually advertise more franchises for sale.

Hey Classic Cut. I work a compact territory, and notice them as soon as they hit the streets. Not whinging about them, infact I am often working across the road from one in particular, and nick over for a chat. They all drive distinct vehicles, so they are easy to pick from each other. I never go to my local tip, as they charge like theives.