Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Aftermarket blades for a Dixon ZTR34/ Dixon parts

Default Aftermarket blades for a Dixon ZTR34/ Dixon parts

Hey all,
    Has anyone used aftermarket blades on their ride ons?

I have only ever used genuine Dixon blades but I am looking at putting in an order with Lawnmowerpros.com and they have a large range of aftermarket blades available.

I actually tried to get a quote on the parts I need from my local Dixon dealer, I even supplied them with a list of part numbers and after calling once a week for three weeks they asked me to supply the list of parts again.
    This seems to be more common than not unfortunately, has anyone found a good Dixon dealer in Victoria?
    I am happy with my mower but the after sales support means that I will probably never buy another Dixon.

Interested to hear experiences/feedback

Cheers
    Jake

Default Re: Aftermarket blades for a Dixon ZTR34/ Dixon parts

thanks for the info mate, although i cant help you

i am thinking about buying a new mower, between a dixon ztr and a cox cone drive lawn tractor.

i think you have just decided me on the cox,

the cox dealer is 20 minutes away, im i often drive past there, and is a good shop.

the dixon dealer is 45 minutes away, i never go there, and i dont know if its a good shop

i know they are 2 diff. machines., but all i care about is 1. its gotta be a ride on, 2. it has to be narrow and collect grass.

i cant afford a walker atm, so i am downgrading lol.

the cox has the cone drive, is 32 inch, 16.5 HP, and is a dedicated rear discharge rear catcher machine, no hoses or catchers out the side.

i plan on riding over 75% of my jobs.

sick of the sp honda.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by BCMS View Post
    Hey all,
    Has anyone used aftermarket blades on their ride ons?

I have only ever used genuine Dixon blades but I am looking at putting in an order with Lawnmowerpros.com and they have a large range of aftermarket blades available.

I actually tried to get a quote on the parts I need from my local Dixon dealer, I even supplied them with a list of part numbers and after calling once a week for three weeks they asked me to supply the list of parts again.
    This seems to be more common than not unfortunately, has anyone found a good Dixon dealer in Victoria?
    I am happy with my mower but the after sales support means that I will probably never buy another Dixon.

Interested to hear experiences/feedback

Cheers
    Jake
    No, just genuine Dixon.

No good dealers for Dixon in Melbourne that I have found. Even the guys in NSW get the orders wrong when they post them out. Mower is ok but service and backup from my experience is CRAP. Never buy another Dixon for this reason.

Let me know when you are ordering from LMPros. I may be in for trying some also. Need to get some parts for the Ferris as well. Maybe we can save on shipping, but dont let it go over $1000

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

I would be interested in how these go. Also what sort of time frame do you get out of a set of blades. I have noticed if there is a bit of length in the grass some times there is a line of not cut properly left behind my machine. It only has 8 hours n it and only had six when i first noticed it but doesnt seem to happen on the regular mows.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Quote Originally Posted by Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden View Post
    I would be interested in how these go. Also what sort of time frame do you get out of a set of blades. I have noticed if there is a bit of length in the grass some times there is a line of not cut properly left behind my machine. It only has 8 hours n it and only had six when i first noticed it but doesnt seem to happen on the regular mows.
    Often happens with 2 blades (on a 34inch) Has yours got 2 or 3 blades? Maybe the deck set up, levelling, tyre pressures etc. Ask Mick, he seems to know heaps!

I agree, check deck pitch (you can do a basic test by increasing the rear tires psi and lowering the front casters to min 8 or 9psi) and level etc but also check engine RPM's.
    Are you trying to go too fast? Try slower speeds.
    Do you have the correct length blades?

Sounds like grass isn't getting out of the deck fast enough. See if you can get some Oregon blades with a bit more lift. Oregon also make Fusion blades that Ive had good luck with, the sail is a little longer. As a last resort you could try lowering the blades in the deck. That can be done with spacers or off set/stepped blades. Im not talking much, only 1/4inch or so. Have to remember they are lower when around roots and setting deck height. I did this with my first SZ and it made the cut better.

Try ASP.
    http://www.asproducts.com.au/about.asp

Measure your blade length, centre hole diameter and width then give them a call and they should be able to help you. I would say it would work out cheaper than getting them out of the U S and A. get a few sets while you are at it.
    Everybody is entitled to MY opinion

Problem with ASP blades is they dont have a lot of lift. They would be worth a try though but just get one set first. Also, check there balanced. The ones I were getting were terrible!
    I used to be a big supporter of ASP but after getting Oregon blades, there is no comparison.

Here are a few pics to show what Im saying in regards to lift or sail. The Oregon and ASP look the same from the top view but different on side view.

Top to bottom.. Fusion Blade, Oregon Blade and ASP
    IMG_0279.JPG

Left to right... ASP, Oregon and Fusion
    IMG_0280.JPG

whats the grove in them. what machie are they from?

lol, i havent got this exactly right, but its like gator blades, i am sure: the groove will be a re cutting feature, the grass goes up over the flute, then gets caught, or twisted around the groove, it directs the clip back down to the next blade; which then chops it up a bit more before letting it out,

makes for finer clips

Sorry Happy, I dont think its that sophisticated!
    I think its so they can stamp the sail with less chance of twisting the blade. ie, take a pice of paper, lay it flat, try an just bend up the last 1/5th of a corner and make a sail/flute (im struggling to explain this). It will twist the entire length of that side. Then take some scissors and make a cut where you want the bend to start. Simple as that! Rounded cuts are stronger than square cuts.

Found this vid. There is no way ASP go to these lengths! You can seen in the vid the blank blades with the "slot" already there. http://youtu.be/NdP7jat094M

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill View Post
    Let me know when you are ordering from LMPros. I may be in for trying some also. Need to get some parts for the Ferris as well. Maybe we can save on shipping, but dont let it go over $1000
    Will do John, Just waiting on some invoices to be paid so will probably be in a week or two.

It is a real pity about the Dixon after purchase support in Vic and it sounds like it is the same Australia wide.
    They are good mowers and I will probably be looking to upgrade next year, sell off my Husqvarna backup and retire the Dixon to backup duties.
    If Dixon had decent support I would be looking at them first but the lack of ability to get parts just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmow View Post
    Try ASP.
    http://www.asproducts.com.au/about.asp

Measure your blade length, centre hole diameter and width then give them a call and they should be able to help you. I would say it would work out cheaper than getting them out of the U S and A. get a few sets while you are at it.
    I found that the ASP blades which were supposed to be a direct replacement for my JD, were slightly shorter, so left a strip, and different height so werent really suitable.

Did anyone find some decent aftermarket blades or some from the usa worth looking at.