Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tree-stump removal

Default Tree-stump removal

I have a garden bed reno coming up that has three tree-stumps to remove.

Two of them shouldn't be a problem with a crowbar and mattock but the third could be an issue as it's larger and still very much solid despite the tree being cut back about two years ago.

There's no room to bring in mechanical digging/grinding equipment so what are my options? I really need to get it out as Roses are going in after I have improved the soil.

The owner suggested burning it out? I'm also trying to remember the name of a powder I read about once that will assist the stump and roots to break down quicker than nature would do in it's own sweet time. The only other thing I can think of would be to try to chainsaw it off at or below ground level and plant either side of it if the spacing of the new plants allows.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Tree-stump removal

Get your 4x4 winch in there, it would also help pulling the other 2 while your at it.
    If u go the chainsaw route, dig & hose b4 u cut, soil quickly takes the edge off a chain.
    Another option if the stimp is'nt a monster, drill heaps of holes with a large spade bit & bust it up with an axe.
    Cheers Fred.

goodonya fred, i wouldnt of thought of the spade bit thing.

but i'd just chainsaw and plant around.

unless the stump is worth hundreds to remove . . .

the powder is gun powder

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Brake fluid and chlorine but i never told you that lol
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I'm also trying to remember the name of a powder I read about once that will assist the stump and roots to break down quicker than nature would do in it's own sweet time.
    I think you're thinking of potassium nitrate (saltpetre). Supplies nitrogen which will encourage high fungal activity to break down the wood more quickly.
    ~ Joanne ~

Acid might help

Yer, put that in your pipe & smoke it.
    Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden View Post
    Acid might help
    Certainly did for The Stones and The Beatles!
    ~ Joanne ~

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs HMS View Post
    Certainly did for The Stones and The Beatles!
    Actually Joanne, I was refering to the saltpetre, but that only pertanes to cigarettes.
    Cheers Fred.

Been making some fireworks Joanne?

I'm not sure if that was it? I've read of using KNO3 for hydroponics and flower production etc but just not sure if that was it for breaking down stumps.

I think I'll give the crowbar a go first and if that's no good will probably do the dig around and chainsaw or drill and attack with the mattock. The roots can just stay there and rot.

Kaboommmmmmmm!
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Well it looks like some of the American products like Spectracide and Stump Remover are not available in Australia.

KNO3 is however available from eBay of all places with a couple of sellers providing a technical grade and a reagent grade. Reagent being the most pure and Technical the least pure.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Potassium...item25692ef467

You were right Joanne but it still sounds like a long process for the stump to break down.

I found an article with the following info:

To hurry nature along, you’ll be supplying 2 ingredients in unnatural quantities to speed up the rotting process: nitrogen and water. Tree stump removal will still be slow this way, but it's an improvement over nature.

But first, using a chain saw, cut the stump down as close to the ground as you can, without allowing the chain saw's teeth to strike the ground (this would dull your chain).

Drill holes a few inches deep into the stump in numerous places, using your widest drill bit. The wider and deeper the holes, the better.
    Fill these holes first with water, then with a fertilizer high in nitrogen. For instance, you could use cow manure. If you're using a commercial fertilizer instead, make sure the first of the 3 numbers of the fertilizer's NPK is the highest (for instance, a straight nitrogen fertilizer such as 45-0-0).

Soak the ground all around the stump. Cover the stump with a plastic tarp. The tarp will act as a barrier to help retain moisture in and around the stump. Moisture is a powerful ally to have on your side for tree stump removal.

Apply an organic mulch over the plastic tarp, and water it thoroughly. An organic mulch, such as tree bark or hay, will hold additional moisture, keeping the area even wetter. Wet mulch is also heavy, which will help weigh the tarp down, so that it doesn't blow away. For additional weight, roll some heavy stones onto the tarp.

The final thing you need to do for this tree stump removal project is -- to be patient! You're speeding up the natural process of rotting by employing the steps above, but this tree stump removal technique is still not for those who need the stump to disappear N-O-W.

You'll reduce the wait for completion of your tree stump removal project, however, by periodically removing the mulch and tarp for a moment and once again thoroughly soaking the stump and the ground around it. If you still have that nitrogen source at your disposal, add more of it. Then reapply the plastic tarp and mulch. Soak the mulch again, too, to keep the tarp wet and weighed down.
    The Stump Remover product I mentioned above is supposed to be 99%-pure KNO3 but the same article talks of it a little differently.

There is a tree stump removal product called, "Stump Remover" that breaks down the wood fibre of stumps, leaving them porous. The porous wood then absorbs kerosene readily. After the porous wood is soaked with kerosene and ignited, it will burn away. The flame is a low, smoldering flame. If the use of kerosene and flame is acceptable to you, this is another cheap and easy option for tree stump removal.

I think I might just try to get onto someone with a dairy-farm and get some fresh, hot, cow manure! It'll be good for the roses that go in eventually .

what about a jack hammer we took out some stumps for this guy using his jack hammer.

What do the pro stump remover people use?
    ive seen them aronud...And thats all they do.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast