Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Stihl trouble

Default Stihl trouble

Very new kid on the block(but with grey hair) and first time entrant to this august body of knowledge!
    Purchased twelve months ago new Stihl KM 90R combi head along with whipper and blower. Within the shafts are white plastic sleeves/ferrels that appear to act as guides but also retainers of the drive shaft.Although the black plastic "boots" are replaced after use(to keep dirt out) I have gone through a number of the sleeves. I have also tried some lubrication but to no avail. One, has anyone experienced same and two,has anyone a remedy?

With thanks in anticipation
    Pro Mowing

Default Re: Stihl trouble

Peter,

Big Welcome to the Indy forum.
    Good to see another Albury/Wodonga operator.
    Whilst we have spoken prior, great to see you have finally maded into the forum.

Re the Stihl???, I'm a Huskyman. But there are many here who know their stuff re Stihl's.
    Cheers Garry

have the same problem.. just seem to be a consumable part. i find they wear out if you don't do up the attachments tight enough and it twists around and wears out the white sleeves. i always seem to go through the nuts that tighten up the attachment as well because of over-tightening or cross threading. at least they are cheap parts. seems to be a fine line between under / over tightening! im thinking a permanent fix would be to put a more heavy duty nut and bolt to tighten it up but barely worthwhile

Thank You Chris B

Never had an issue with mine and it gets used as the main whippy as well as the main hedger, r u doing the attachments up tight enough so there is no play in the shaft.

is the outer tube as far in as it can go at the head end?

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Thank you Redeye and Scooby Steve re Stihl combi.I will experiment further with tightness but have observed if its too loose shaft eases around off direct arrow alighnment. Have dismantled and checked engine drive end - seems ok

ProMowing

Quote Originally Posted by pro mowing View Post
    Thank you Redeye and Scooby Steve re Stihl combi.I will experiment further with tightness but have observed if its too loose shaft eases around off direct arrow alighnment. Have dismantled and checked engine drive end - seems ok

ProMowing
    just an update on this.. i realised that after a while the actual aluminum clamp part the grips the shaft was part of the problem.
    with ours when the screw was done up to max (as in the clamp was touching and not possible to go tighter) the shaft could still spin round .
    i replaced it with one off a broken ext shaft and works fine now. also i grinded the gap to open it up a little on the broken one and now that works fine too so you can just do that.
    not sure if that make sense but i can take a pic if need be

Chris B
    Thank you re "Stihl Trouble". I am still having trouble - ground the aluminum clamp as you described, then purchased new aluminum clamp,doing clamp up as firmly as possible. I find the whipper(with greater twisting thrust I presume)causes more trouble.During the course of one and a half years work I would have replaced 10 plastic sleeves. The steel drive shaft(inner) has a small collar splined on,this seems to be what grinds out the inner of the plastic sleeve.
    This trouble has been reported to local Stihl shop, and in turn they discussed it with some tech. "You are the only one we have heard of having this problem" is not the type of support one looks for!
    Thanks for your input
    Pro Mowing

is the plastic sleeve wearing out because it rotating round or because the drive shaft is wearing through it?

mine was because it wasn't clamping tight enough causing it to rotate round wearing down the little white tab that holds the sleeve in place

first it was the nuts striping that caused it to be not tight enough, then the actual thread on the bolt eventually wore out followed by the clamp after that.. all replaced and seems to be fine now, but sure the bolt / nut will strip eventually

No Chris B I've never had a rotating sleeve. I think the little steel collar is the cause of the trouble. As an experiment I've place two light,loose washers between the collar and the plastic inner collar as an attempt to disperse pressure/heat.

not sure what's causing that without seeing it.. nothing more frustrating than having a problem and not knowing what's causing it!

only things i can think of is maybe the clamp is in the wrong position so that its not pushing down the drive shaft enough so it rubs the sleeve??
    or maybe even missing a part? / bush / collar or something?? if you think you are i could post a pic of my kombi to compare
    all the best with it