Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Australian Mens Shed Association

Thumbs up Australian Mens Shed Association

WHAT IS A MEN’S SHED?
    The modern Men’s Shed is an updated version of the shed in the backyard that has long been a part of Australian culture. Men’s Sheds are springing up all around Australia. If you looked inside one you might see a number of men restoring furniture, perhaps restoring bicycles for a local school, maybe making Mynah bird traps or fixing lawn mowers or making a kids cubby house for Camp Quality to raffle. You might also see a few young men working with the older men learning new skills and maybe also learning something about life from the men they work with. You will see tea-bags, coffee cups and a comfortable area where men can sit and talk. You will probably also see an area where men can learn to cook for themselves or they can learn how to contact their families by computer.

So what is so special about this new type of Men’s Shed? Most men have learned from our culture that they don’t talk about feelings and emotions. There has been little encouragement for men to take an interest in their own health and well-being. Unlike women, most men are reluctant to talk about their emotions and that means that they usually don’t ask for help. Probably because of this many men are less healthy than women, they drink more, take more risks and they suffer more from isolation, loneliness and depression. Relationship breakdown, retrenchment or early retirement from a job, loss of children following divorce, physical or mental illness are just some of the problems that men find it hard to deal with on their own.

Good health is based on many factors including feeling good about yourself, being productive and valuable to your community, connecting to friends and maintaining an active body and an active mind. Becoming a member of a Men’s Shed gives a man that safe and busy environment where he can find many of these things in an atmosphere of old-fashioned mateship. And, importantly, there is no pressure. Men can just come and have a yarn and a cuppa if that is all they’re looking for.

Members of Men’s Sheds come from all walks of life - the bond that unites them is that they are men with time on their hands and they would like something meaningful to do with that time.

A good Men’s Shed has a co-ordinator who has both the technical and social skills to develop a safe and happy environment where men are welcome to work a project of their choice in their own time and where the only ‘must’ is to observe safe working practices. All in a spirit of mateship.

Because men don’t make a fuss about their problems, these problems have consistently been either ignored or swept under the mat by both our health system and our modern society. It’s time for a change and the Men’s Shed movement is one of the most powerful tools we have in helping men to once again become valued and valuable members of our community.

Come and see for yourself.

The number of Sheds has grown rapidly but in the early days there was no central reference source and a great deal of duplication and "wheel re-invention" occurred. In April 2007 The Australian Men's Shed Association (AMSA) was set up to act as a resource centre for all Sheds and to promote the idea of Independent Community Men's Sheds. The Association represents and promotes the Shed movement, and acts as a communications hub using this website and the regular newsletters, copies of which are archived on this site

http://www.mensshed.org/page7859/Home.aspx

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Default Re: Australian Mens Shed Association

its a great idea and if i knew of one up here i would have went a few times instead of to the pub where i caused mayham and hurt people but hey thats life people need o learn who to **** with and who not too.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Sippin beer in the shed snothing better good place to drink and escape in your world....
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

Good one Admin, Thanks!

Great idea isn't it there is one near me in Beaumaris which i drive past looks like a lot of fun.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

I've seen a bit about them before, its a great idea. Haven
    t been myself but when things quiten down over winter I might just turn up one day.
    Something I have told my wife Kerri before is that the biggest thing I miss since starting a business as a sole operater is that I dont get to be around and talk **** with other blokes each day.