Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Pope Hedge Trimmer

Default Pope Hedge Trimmer

I need some help in making a decision on purchasing a Pope Hedge Trimmer, model #101PHT22. I'm new to the industry and have never done hedge trimming before and have declined a couple of request to do hedgeing. My thinking in purchasing the above model hedger, I can "practise" on the job, until I have gathered enough experience, as well as the budget is not being knocked about too much. Then, consider something more commerical unit at a later date. Hoping someone can help who may have knowledge of the above unit.

David

Default Re: Pope Hedge Trimmer

Its all about the weight versus reliability, versus price with hedge trimmers. The Stihl HS 45 can be purchased for around $300 depending where you live. The more clients you get as you build your business, the more requests you will get. Most of my clients pretty much expect hedging as part of my expertise, so my advice is learn asap. What area are you? It would be good to shadow someone experienced for a bit.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

Mate when i first started about 5 months now:0 i bought a hedge trimmer of ebay for 60 or 80 bucks, it didnt work something was wrong with it, it was a shindawa and i rebuilt the carby on it and Boy o its now worth 200 So see if u can get urself a deal on ebay, even some mower shops sell 2nd hand gear dont rush in, have a good look and speak to certain ppl
    and good luck
    happy mowing.

XPC, I'm ya man, I bought a pope hedger when I started out back in 09, not that model the model with the swivel handle. Two years (part time) down the track it still goes but is only really brought out to hack stuff apart like dense vine and feral crap I wouldn't dare put my new ones in. In the two years though it has been used on everything from lily pilly's, pittosporums through to fine diosmas. I have no regrets buying and using it, it vibrates like anything now but served it's purpose getting me into the game when I didn't know how many hedges I would be doing and didn't know how to use it. I paid $230 for mine I think and it's only been sharpened once, the fuel cap has been replaced and the petrol tank is now taped on cause the bolts pulled out the mounts. You might find you will get better results with the Stihl hs 45 as stihl have a better reputation and the price is probably not that much more and for a little extra dosh the kilo weight saving would be worth it. I didn't know if I would be doing as much hedging as I am now but I think you're probably on the right track if you get a cheapie to start with then get something decent when you're ready and you like the work. These days I spend anywhere from 1 to 5 hours hedging depending on the week and I can thank my pope for giving me the experience needed to do the work.

Buy a split shaft Shindaiwa or Stihl snipper and get an articulating pole hedge trimmer. They are great, save your back and you don't need a step ladder for the bigger hedges. When you aren't using it as a hedge trimmer you can put the trimmer attachment on it and go whipper snipping. Makita also have an articulating hedge trimmer, you un-bolt the snipper gear box and that bolts on to the end of the shaft. They are the way to go, but make sure you get an articulating one. But having said that I want to get a hand held hedge trimmer soon.
    Everybody is entitled to MY opinion

The shindy's might be a little over budget for some newbies??? Gcsmow try the Shindaiwa DH2200ST before you buy anything else when you want a hand held.

Ok that's great advice, thanks. I'm a pretty big fan of Shindaiwa gear, had a good run out of all my Shindy gear so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    The shindy's might be a little over budget for some newbies??? Gcsmow try the Shindaiwa DH2200ST before you buy anything else when you want a hand held.
    Everybody is entitled to MY opinion

Hi guys, thanks for your comments. I was going to bid for a second hand, supposedly new one on ebay, but have made an executive decision.
    I will save the required bickies so I can purchase either a shindi or stihl kombi. When you are staring off with a small setup budget and a hand full of clients and your eyes are as big as looking at all the "big boy toys", one just has to learn how to become a we bit patient. All the good stuff will come with time.

David

Quote Originally Posted by xpc View Post
    Hi guys, thanks for your comments. I was going to bid for a second hand, supposedly new one on ebay, but have made an executive decision.
    I will save the required bickies so I can purchase either a shindi or stihl kombi. When you are staring off with a small setup budget and a hand full of clients and your eyes are as big as looking at all the "big boy toys", one just has to learn how to become a we bit patient. All the good stuff will come with time.

David
    If you can put money aside from each job for tools and after awhile you'll have enough ready for upgrades. (just a thought )

I was in the same position.. in the end I bought a makita brushie ($300) plus the artic hedger ($300+). Sydney tools has the best price, $20 postage to any any metrop area. That way you have a backup brushie- (mine wears a metal blade for ferals)as well as a long hedger. You can buy a pole saw too.

Far and away best value for the money.

Most of my hedges are 2.4 metres or so, and you can do short ones with the long hedger.. I'm not sure what the short ones are for!

The rig is lighter than stihl and all the other options I looked at.. lightness in a hedger is a good thing.

Unless you are a mechanic, I reckon don't buy second hand stuff. getting even little things sorted costs a lot of money and takes your machine away when you need it.

Tom

I have the stihl combi, just replaced the hedge trimmer after about 8 or 9 years of heavy use ($399). This was my first big purchase when I started out and have no regrets. Power head is still perfect, so is the whippy and edger. My mate has the little style hedger, perfect for knee high box up to head height but mine does the little buxus hedges up to about 10-12 foot in one sweep. Worth the money.

I got a Braun hedger and chainsaw off ebay when I started the hedger was crap so I got a Shindy but the chainsaw is a little beauty still use it at least once a week...

i reckon you need to drive around your area and see what type of hedging you might be doing. for example when i started out i was thinking about getting a kombi when i had the money but then i realised that there wasnt really much work for it. it took me for months to get enough hedging work to bother buying my stihl hs45 and its not a bad bit of gear. easy to start, light. im happy with it and it's nearly payed itself off in a fortnight. until then i only had a little bit of hedging and used shears.

if your new to hedging practise at home and your mates places. remember that you can take more off but you cant stick it back on again. and as i said to a customers kid yesterday "no, i'm not going to make that shrub look like a bunny".have fun.

still dont want too!