Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Veterans Affairs

Default Veterans Affairs

Has anyone here had experience with Veterans Affairs.

We got a referal to a health proffessional and they were saying if I was to attain "DVA Certification" we would be run off our feet with work.

As there is no DVA accredited folks in my area I thought this may be worth chasing up as apparently there are heaps of older veterans who cannot maintain their gardens, gutters, lawns...... ect...ect....

The idea seems to be keep them at home rather than send them off to a home of some sort so they need help to stay at home.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down and beat you with experience

Member of forum watlebird mowing's Avatar

Default Re: Veterans Affairs

Ive had a bit to do with them, as a vet though not a lawny, they are generally a fair pain in the arse!
    Cheers
    Ben

Wattlebird Lawn Mowing & Garden Service.
    Let us take the hard work out of your garden!

Yep, maybe....as I have all my Insurance and Police checks in place I should not have to jump through to many hoops.

I have the guy in charge of contracts calling me next week, as I am in an area where there are no certified guys I though it worth loking into,,,,we will see....

what is DVA Certification?
    we have done work for a few vet affairs clients. all of them regulars but only for a limited time eg 6 months (until there injury heals etc.. ) but they were not old ppl.
    they only requested insurance. had no problems, paid well and quickly but had to snail mail the invoices.
    just make sure you quote per job though otherwise they expect you to work for a crappy hourly rate like TAC.

DVA = Dept.Vet.Affairs

Apparently they have a contract situation where they award them. So we need a DVA Number to provide to the Health Proffessonal Organisation as a way for them to verify who I am.

Contracts have just been finalised so I am told but I am in a Black Spot so I may be able to work direct with DVA under a quote per job situation.

That's all I know to this point, I will find out more next week.

But yes Chris, I suspect it will be a lot of short term stuff, lawns, gutters ect......don't really know yet.

I have had 2 clients over a long period. Thru Dept Vet Affairs and Military Rehabilitation. First old chap was a Vietnam Vet, he has pass since, and the client I have now is in his early 40's and he suffered a bad knee injury. They have to get assessed every 12 months even though there is no chance of improvement.
    I was just asked to submit a quote and they accepted it.
    They are given 22 mows a year.
    I send my invoice in once a month and they always pay with in 2 weeks.

sorry i forgot , also had to register as a "home services provider" and they give you a "provider number" just need insurance certificate to obtain. cant remember where from though.. worksafe i think?

Quote Originally Posted by jas View Post
    I have had 2 clients over a long period. Thru Dept Vet Affairs and Military Rehabilitation. First old chap was a Vietnam Vet, he has pass since, and the client I have now is in his early 40's and he suffered a bad knee injury. They have to get assessed every 12 months even though there is no chance of improvement.
    I was just asked to submit a quote and they accepted it.
    They are given 22 mows a year.
    I send my invoice in once a month and they always pay with in 2 weeks.
    Jas you had a good experience with them.

I had a similar job, for a gold card holder who have a farm garden service provide for around there house. We are talking a huge grand garden here.
    The regional office said we pay in 4 wks when I started, which I was Ok with.
    That turned into 6wks for the first payment after two requests for follow up, neither requested was replied to.
    Then the next 2 payments took 3 months after 4 requests and getting there senior management involved and a formal apology. But was still told to now expect 2 months for payment moving forward.
    The minute all their invoices were paid up after my repeated follow ups, I walked from them and will never take on any form of public service service job again.
    I said to them, what if you guys didn't get paid next week, what would happen in the office. So why are we expected to wait a minimum of 2 mths and only get paid after repeated follow ups.

I'm controlling my temper here re type towards these non efficient gov offices that have no idea how the private sector employess have to perform and deliver there KPI's. When I was in the corporate world we had to respond to e-mails immediately or least by COB or don't go home. Not 3 days later or even not at all.

Hummmm, now I got that of my chest all's good.

Edit, The actual elderly gold card people were the kindest people you could ever meet.
    Cheers Garry

Garry, I use to do work for Queensland Parks and Wildlife, and they were your typical Gov Dept, could be upto 6 weeks before I seen a payment.

But with Dept Vet Affairs, I have heard they are a pain to deal with. The Veitnam Vet I use do it for, his lungs were stuffed from Agent Orange, and he still had to prove every 12 months that he was getting any better, it killed him in the end.