Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Queston on Responsibilities

Default Queston on Responsibilities

Our primary responsibilities is to cut the lawn in a reasonable time frame to keep it looking good.

But, there is so much more to this than just cutting the grass.

What do you guy's do with your lawns in regards to Weed Spraying, Bini,Soldier Worm, Ant Hills, the list goes on.

Do you charge extra for spraying or is it built into your mowing price.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down and beat you with experience

Member of forum

Default Re: Queston on Responsibilities

All weed spraying in lawns is sub contracted out to Coochie Hydro Green. I value my longevity in this game too much, plus they do a great job.

I still spot spray garden beds, but that's it.

Very Helpful Member

extra,extra and extra
    when i 1st started i had the idea that i would keep the clients lawns weed free and only charge about the same maybe a fraction more that what i thought was the going rate as i figured in the scheme of things it would only cost a little more most people only hear the price of the lawn and even though i said i would keep the weeds in the lawn under control they wouldn't pay any extra on the regular price so even at only $1 per lawn per visit at 40 lawns per week this will equal $40 p/week $2000p/year also amazingly once the weeds are gone i found these to be the 1st people to ring up and say the lawn doesn't need doing this week so always charge extra and appropriately for any extra services or in the end you will be paying for them yourself
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

I think weed spraying and so forth is for licensed pest controllers mainly,they are licensed and have access to the best chemicals, but if i do get into it a bit in the future and i have thought about it i will charge extra for it,not being in the game it would be tough knowing what to charge tho...

I just saw Ians reply,,a few weeds can be a good thing sometimes so the lawn needs mowing,i have lawns that would only need half the mowing if it was not for the weeds,,lol

yep, this summer, i have been LOVING the little yellow flowers that come up in the lawn.

sometimes all im mowing is those flowers, and about half an inch of grass.

anyone know where i can get SEEDS for those ones? (JOKE)

almost be worth seeding some lawns, lol (JOKE)

I remeber the red cross nocking on my door and I think I donate to the 2 people people nice people they where and on hallowen there was that one that need to be rescude and here people need help that I could provide... That arse hole did some thing bad to them I dont like that person at one time we were home boys but what he did to u giuys he kinda done to me....But you tent to ur light display that ligtens up the area and brings a flavor we all need....pease and marry christmas to yall ...
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

Quote Originally Posted by Antic View Post
    Our primary responsibilities is to cut the lawn in a reasonable time frame to keep it looking good.

But, there is so much more to this than just cutting the grass.

What do you guy's do with your lawns in regards to Weed Spraying, Bini,Soldier Worm, Ant Hills, the list goes on.

Do you charge extra for spraying or is it built into your mowing price.
    Hi Antic There is good money in weed spraying in lawns and garden beds and also fertilizing.
    You will need a 20 litre back pack for lawns I use (Amgrow Bin-Die) make sure you get the one that is ok to use in Buffalo and other lawns. I mix 30mm to 5 litres of water and I sort of know how fast to walk over the lawn, you walk slow and move the wand from side to side. It gets rid of Clover, Bindi, and most broard leaf weeds. Clover may need 2 goes. I charge 20% above my mowing price. In Hard Surfaces and garden beds I have a small sprayer and mix Glyphosate to a rate of 15mm to 1litre of water and I look at the job and estimate how long it will take and put a price accordingly. If you do fertilizing you will need a good spreader I do it 2 times a year Autum and Spring and I do it in the rain so it washes in but not all customers want it doing I charge the same price as mowing.

Hope that helps ya

I charge extra for weed spraying and fertilizing, just quote on a per job basis

Only thing I don't charge extra for is for poisoning weeds in the cracks in paths and drives. All other work is quoted or charged per hour, plus chemicals and fertilisers. Complete a Chemcert certification for $350.00, ,which lasts 5 years then $250.00 to renew every 5 yrs and you can apply all the chemicals you will need. I spray for spiders, fleas and flies as well as pests and diseases in gardens and lawns. Make really good money out of this service. Just picked up a new spray tank and boom for towing behind my rideon for the really large lawns that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by AJD Mowing View Post
    Hi Antic There is good money in weed spraying in lawns and garden beds and also fertilizing.
    You will need a 20 litre back pack for lawns I use (Amgrow Bin-Die) make sure you get the one that is ok to use in Buffalo and other lawns. I mix 30mm to 5 litres of water and I sort of know how fast to walk over the lawn, you walk slow and move the wand from side to side. It gets rid of Clover, Bindi, and most broard leaf weeds. Clover may need 2 goes. I charge 20% above my mowing price. In Hard Surfaces and garden beds I have a small sprayer and mix Glyphosate to a rate of 15mm to 1litre of water and I look at the job and estimate how long it will take and put a price accordingly. If you do fertilizing you will need a good spreader I do it 2 times a year Autum and Spring and I do it in the rain so it washes in but not all customers want it doing I charge the same price as mowing.

Hope that helps ya
    Is there a spray bar that can be attached to the wand on a backpack sprayer? Would be easier to get an even coverage.

Most of my clients do no live in the holiday homes I mow, the local R/E looks after the holiday bookings each week/month.

Apart from mowing I do charge $15.00 xtra for weed spray in the driveways,paths and so on.This happens every few months or so on most places.

I am also thinking now of spot spraying the lawns with a general weeds,clover and broadleaf weeds killer.Maybe charge $15.00 as well for this as I could probably do quite e few lawns with one backpack so my costs would be negligable.

Just thinking of ways to value add my run but at the sametime giving value for money to the client and at the same time improving my jobs apperance over the long run.

One issue with my run is so many lawns are managed by the R/E and I have to seek approval for most work and that means taking photo's, to and fro between the R/E,client and then back to me.
    But they don't seem to question $15.00 or $20.00 here and there.

So to save all the hassle I have been doing Roundup on hard surfaces and now going into the weed spray.It has to be done anyway so it might as well be me and saves all the BS bakwards and forward.

Besides,I do want our lawns looking better than the average homeowner who just bangs the mower over it every few weeks.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down and beat you with experience

These should fit most good quality Backpack sprayers, the 4 nozzle boom would really cover some ground.
    http://www.hardi.com.au/en-au/Products/INT%20Hand%20Operated/INT%20BP20%20and%20BP15.aspx?sm={C67E1BC4-CDA8-4BD7-A9D7-FCBD5A4CB2AF}

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    These should fit most good quality Backpack sprayers, the 4 nozzle boom would really cover some ground.
    http://www.hardi.com.au/en-au/Products/INT%20Hand%20Operated/INT%20BP20%20and%20BP15.aspx?sm={C67E1BC4-CDA8-4BD7-A9D7-FCBD5A4CB2AF}
    http://www.hardi.com.au/en-au/Produc...-FCBD5A4CB2AF} 4th picture down
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Thanks Ian I stuffed up

I got one of the hardies a meter boom with 4 spary nozzels the copper one is shindaiwa bought it out of the cataloge piese by pies at the end it cost 250 just for that set up had to mod it with copper air contioer fittinis to my desire...the are both good but the hardies one is just asome....

2011-12-26 11.47.06(2).jpg
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast