Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stihl 4 mix starting problems POSSIBLE SOLUTION

Default Re: Stihl 4 mix starting problems POSSIBLE SOLUTION

Quote Originally Posted by mgammon View Post
    Hi

Came across this thread, when looking for something else. the most common problem with our small engines both two and four stroke is clogged air cleaners. Here is the best way to clean all your air cleaners, put 2 - 4 liters of hot water in a bucket (the hotter the better) dissolve a cup of powered laundry detergent and let the air cleaners soak for about an hour then swirl around for a bit, rinse in clean hot water, then hang on close line until l dry. You can clean all types of air cleaners over and over again this way without hurting them. Never ever blow out air cleaners with compressed air. My whipper sniper filers turn the water black every time which is a combination of oil and dust.
    Thats exactly how I do it when I have time, works a treat. Unfortunately I often don't have time and thats when the compressed air comes in Must say that my whippy's and blowers rarely have many problems.
    Its just my Honda 195's that suck all the dust in - especially when I mulch in drier times. Helps a little with only 2 blades

Stihl is slowly phasing out the 4 mix line

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    NNNooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    Any replacement in the works? Will miss the 4 mix, been good to us.

Anyone using the battery line? And if so opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by mgammon View Post
    Hi

Came across this thread, when looking for something else. the most common problem with our small engines both two and four stroke is clogged air cleaners. Here is the best way to clean all your air cleaners, put 2 - 4 liters of hot water in a bucket (the hotter the better) dissolve a cup of powered laundry detergent and let the air cleaners soak for about an hour then swirl around for a bit, rinse in clean hot water, then hang on close line until l dry. You can clean all types of air cleaners over and over again this way without hurting them. Never ever blow out air cleaners with compressed air. My whipper sniper filers turn the water black every time which is a combination of oil and dust.
    After reading this and trying it both stihl products came back to life like they use to be..

The 4 Mix's I have used for the last year or so have never had a single problem! I've never even cleaned the air filter once.. (manual actually says only clean when a noticeable loss of power occurs) they have updated them with a pleated paper automotive style one.
    I see they have a km131 & fs131 models out on the US Stihl site. Hoping they bring them out here as I rkn they are the absolute best machine with exceptional power for the weight. New models have a 30% larger tank and a semi auto choke which will make them even better

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    The 4 Mix's I have used for the last year or so have never had a single problem! I've never even cleaned the air filter once.. (manual actually says only clean when a noticeable loss of power occurs) they have updated them with a pleated paper automotive style one.
    I see they have a km131 & fs131 models out on the US Stihl site. Hoping they bring them out here as I rkn they are the absolute best machine with exceptional power for the weight. New models have a 30% larger tank and a semi auto choke which will make them even better
    Love mine too Chris. As a multi tool they are a really versatile machine. Getting a really good lifespan from ours too. Made me lots of money over the journey with very little overheads to run them and very little down time.

I got a KM130 when the KM90 died. Gee it drinks the fuel compared to the 90. I don't find the extra power necessary for the work I use it for.

yeah when I used the 130 for hedge trimming or pole pruning its total overkill .. just bounces off the rev limiter if you hold at full throttle
    as a line trimmer I find it good to have the extra power on hand

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234