Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stihl 4 mix starting problems POSSIBLE SOLUTION

Default Re: Stihl 4 mix starting problems POSSIBLE SOLUTION

Hey Phil, hope you had an air filter of some sort when you were using it! but good stuff.. great machine when easy to start.

keljad, you wont regret it. best thing to do i found with the 4mixes is unless its 10 degrees or less dont bother with the choke. 99% of the time mine start first pull without any throttle or choke or priming.

Im actually trialing a more permanent fix but didnt wanna post it up here in case i blow the engine lol. ive disconected the vent pipe from behind the air filter holder and will block with some stocking or similiar and cable tie to keep dust out. will post an update after the trial ... if anyone can tell me a reason why that's not a good idea please let me know! the way i see it is its a breather like any other tank but instead of getting the air from just outside the tank its getting filtered air from behind the air filter.. so as long as im not letting dirt in anywhere then i think it should be ok .. thats my theory anyway.

chris hows this going?

so far so good basically just vented the tank directly outside rather than to behind the air filter. i noticed on this video that was posted recently http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN5BWxXo1cc that the machine has a tank vent that doesnt go via the air filter area so assuming this was the older model as the video is dated 2001.. just watch sometime after the 8 min mark.

so i guess the best fix is to install one of them or replace the current breather.. maybe they wear out quickly or something??

I got two km kombies and on one of them the airfilter is allway wet with petrol start revs and idels and then wont start again...
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

yeh thats the issue im talkin bout.. sucks. i reckon its the breather thats worn out. change the breather or disconnect it from behind the airfilter and cover so no dust gets in and then when the petrol goes back it wont soak the filter

Yah it a black cromit on the air breather on the fuel tanks hs 01s have it to...Mabe try that before I take it in...
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

Brilliant post Chris B, i'm having huge problems with my Stihl KM90 i bought in November. I've just had the valve's adjusted by my Stihl dealer and again it's having huge problems starting even at the beginning of the day. When i do eventually get it started it takes about 5 mins to get to full revs so you can use it.
    I've taken the spark arrester off, now i'll keep monitoring the air filter.

Quote Originally Posted by m287j View Post
    Brilliant post Chris B, i'm having huge problems with my Stihl KM90 i bought in November. I've just had the valve's adjusted by my Stihl dealer and again it's having huge problems starting even at the beginning of the day. When i do eventually get it started it takes about 5 mins to get to full revs so you can use it.
    I've taken the spark arrester off, now i'll keep monitoring the air filter.
    sounds like the same prob to me... just take of the air filter when it wont start next time and if it does start you will know thats your prob!

ive got two km130's and have had the carby replaced on both as they had an air leak somewhere (wasnt the primer/diaphragms etc.. something faulty) anyway i found out when i was shopping round for a new one as one was out of warranty that they have changed the carby models they use... they have updated so a certain carby model replaces all previous ones on new machines and repairs / parts.

amyway long story short these things are absolutely THRASHED as they are my main whippy's as well as pole pruner hedge trimmer and they stiHL start first pull and run better than new all day everyday. i was planning on selling and upgrading to newer ones when i had the air filter probs but honestly cant see a need as these things seem unstoppable now i have ironed out the probs

Very Helpful Member

must be chinese copies of stihls if they start 1st time
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

stihl gear is made mostly in US, Brazil & China, only the high end chainsaws are stihl made in Germany AFAIK

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

All my Stihl new gear has been made in the USA, says so on the serial number sticker. I have the newer KM90 and no problems starting.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    must be chinese copies of stihls if they start 1st time
    imagine how good the chinese copies of the chinese copies are

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    stihl gear is made mostly in US, Brazil & China, only the high end chainsaws are stihl made in Germany AFAIK
    yeh seems they are made everywhere
    my kombis and blowers are from US, chainsaw and hedgetrimmer germany , trimmer brazil, backpack sprayer columbia lol
    wonder which ones they make in china now? or just parts?

been lots of online complaints about the newer hedgers coming out of china

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast