Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barmac Paspalum & Clover Killer. Problem????

Default Barmac Paspalum & Clover Killer. Problem????

On Wednesday I sprayed a lawn (aprx. 200 sq.mtrs) with Barmac Paspalum Killer. The lawn was infested with Paspalum.

The dilution rate on the label was to spray 170ml of concentrate in 2L of water per 10 mē. At the time I thought this seemed excessive so I used a very slightly weaker solution, (1500ml in 18L of water).

Now, three days later the entire lawn, including the paspalum, appears to be dead. It is brown and crispy.

I have double checked the dilution rates on the label and also checked the Barmac website. The website also quotes 170ml of concentrate in 2L of water per 10 mē.

The lawn sprayed was a couch lawn and my spray unit was thouroughly cleaned before using the Barmac.

I am very concerned that the dilution rates given on Barmacs labels and websites are wrong.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Barmac Paspalum & Clover Killer. Problem????

I know in the past when I have spot sprayed with paspalum killer the lawn seems to die around it, but thats spotting. I would give it a week or 2 before you declare it. My big concern would be spraying in the weather we have been having, hot and dry, the lawn would be suffering and very susceptible at the moment, I wouldn't recommend spraying. The rain that is forecast for the next few days might save you.

Glad you tried it first. :P I was reading about products for paspalum the other day and couldn't find one that I was game to use on couch cause I don't know which type of couch, The ones I looked at were contrabanned for qld couch, the one you got is confusing to me. Maybe we need to work out what sort of couch we have?

Sorry just looked up Mullumbimby Couch and Water Couch and now I know what they are, pests. Sorry probably like urbanpatch said, weather too hot?

Does the couch you're trying to keep have the 4 pronged seed heads?

The same thing hapened to me last summer I sprayed for paspalum in couch and the lawn went brown and crispy like I used a small dose of roundup. I sprayed the lawn with Seasol every 3 weeks and it recovered. I will only spot spray or dig it out now I never have had any problem with broard leaf or clover/bindi just the paspalum

Hi Andy, The couch is a bit of a cocktail but is predominately common couch, the type with four seed head spikes, a bit like the spokes of an umbrella.

We might get a bit of rain tommorow or Monday, so I think I'll give the lawn some Seasol and keep my fingers crossed.

Queensland Blue couch is not a couch, couch is Cynodon dactylon . Queensland blue is Digitaria didactyla

Those rates sound high Bob , can you look on the label and tell us if the active constituent is DSMA.
    I just had alook in my little black book I think that should be 170mls in 20 litres per 100 square metres.

http://services.apvma.gov.au/Pubcris...abel/47924.pdf
    Label is the link above

This website is great for all registered chemicals - contains heaps of great information

http://services.apvma.gov.au/Pubcris...ZM3!1534907726

[Those rates sound high Bob , can you look on the label and tell us if the active constituent is DSMA.
    I just had alook in my little black book I think that should be 170mls in 20 litres per 100 square metres.[/QUOTE]

The label reads 74 g/L DSMA. 24 g/L MCPA present as the Sodium Salt.

Directions for use, as per the label and Barmac website are ( Spray 170ml in 2L of water per 10m2)

if you check the label on PUBCRIS website I just posted the application rates from Bob is correct

Ok if the rates were right what was the weather like when you sprayed was the lawn under stress , from being dry, if it was a hot day this could also happen what time of the day did you spray did you mow it first????

This is the couch Mark refers to. Does it look similar Bob?

http://vro.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/vro/vr...ater_sss_couch

Surprised to see the Barmac label says it's okay for Kikuyu and Buffalo too.

Some yellowing of the couch is to be expected but I wouldn't think it would have died completely.

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Queensland Blue couch is not a couch, couch is Cynodon dactylon . Queensland blue is Digitaria didactyla
    thanks for that, just googled the names and can see the difference in the pictures.

Side topic but check out this guys work.

http://www.plantillustration.com/index.html

Most chemicals should not be sprayed when the temp is not going to be over 30c, also if grass is under stress it's not a good idea to spray these types of chemicals. If you have to spray, then organise for the lawn to be watered a day or two before hand with a good soaking and then spray, then water 2 days after you have sprayed this will help.
    With the damage done now seasol and water lawn now and again next week and then the week after. If it is going to rain seasol before hand and see how much rain you get. If a good soaking ie 10-15 ml then don't bother watering again if less then you will need to water.

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Most chemicals should not be sprayed when the temp is not going to be over 30c, also if grass is under stress it's not a good idea to spray these types of chemicals. If you have to spray, then organise for the lawn to be watered a day or two before hand with a good soaking and then spray, then water 2 days after you have sprayed this will help.
    With the damage done now seasol and water lawn now and again next week and then the week after. If it is going to rain seasol before hand and see how much rain you get. If a good soaking ie 10-15 ml then don't bother watering again if less then you will need to water.
    David i think you may have slipped an extra not in by mistake either one of these should be left out otherwise i agree with your advise
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast