Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Blues

Default Winter Blues

OK guys most of you know and are going through bad times at present with this rain, and the month of feb is believed to only have 3-4 days with out rain for the guys in Sydney. Now as I haven't done any work in 4 days ( due to the weather ) it has me thinking this is what winter may be like, this year I'll be facing my first winter and I really don't have enough customers to get me through this winter I have done alot of 1 off and jungle jobs, and I'm sitting on about a good 35 to 40 regular customers,
    Since we have a month left of summer officially I thought this would give us plenty of time to get things sorted....

So I was thinking of starting a thread for us newbie lawnie facing our first winter, and for the rest of the people's who have been through it and what can we do to improve our survival rate, I.e flyers what do we say on them?? What else can we target instead of gardening and mowing...

I really don't want to be a summer warrior, I must say this is the only job I have done that I really enjoy....

Default Re: Winter Blues

My first thoughts/suggestions would be to write to all of your customers and offer them extra work at a fixed rate or a package deal. Have a look at your gardeners calender and suss out what your clients are going to need so you know your stuff before hand. Lots of rose pruning and all the winter jobs. However instead of gardening, gutters, drains, door handles, what ever you can do, tell them they are the boss and can tell you what needs doing or suggest things that you can see need a bit of tlc.

There is still a growth spurt left in Autumn, when the rain breaks from summer. Don't panic. Late autumn into winter brings plenty of fruit trees to hack into. There is always cleanups all year round. There is work everywhere,....just look around and get brave.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

Hey stump, I just want to be prepaired for change as my wife and I are just about ready to buy a home and start a family, just hanging off a bit till I can safely bring in the money

mate winter is great to hit the pruning,garden rejuvenations , you will make more dollars doing this than mowing wet lawns

Each week that you are mowing customers lawns take note of what else needs doing in their garden and target this, sell this work to them for Winter.

Pruning (especially fruit trees, shrubs etc that flower and fruit on new growth), lopping, spraying, weeding, slow release fertilisers, mulching etc are the things I target and if I'm still quiet this year I'll be talking to a friend who runs a commercial cleaning business about some work at nights with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    There is still a growth spurt left in Autumn, when the rain breaks from summer. Don't panic. Late autumn into winter brings plenty of fruit trees to hack into. There is always cleanups all year round. There is work everywhere,....just look around and get brave.
    Agree. Autumn is a time to make money. Not as good as spring but some good earns to be had when the weeds grow. To winter over start thinking of the extras you can offer when mowing slows down. Garden clean ups and pruning are the two to focus on. But push this now with your clients so you can lock it in and know you have work there. Are you a handyman because that tides me over a little bit in winter. Again start talking to your clients about little jobs they might need done. Book it in now so winter is not so scary. Remember too in winter there will be days you cannot work. Look for inside work. I work on websites in winter a lot more. I guess you have to have many brands in the fire. Being your first one it is scary but remember there is this organisation. If your struggling say so and I am sure someone will help out. Good luck mate but I am sure you will get through
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

This is a great topic to bring up.... I had a late start (mid December) starting the new business and only have around 15 regulars at this stage.

I have had my fair share of jungles in the past 6 weeks that i will continue to do for cashflow... however, I'm now thinking i should probably have more regulars with Feb looking to be a white wash for the entire month and doesn't look like i will be getting my additional 15+ regulars that I was counting on.

If only i had started in September

I would also love to know from a pro's perspective what is the minimum number of regulars that would required to survive through winter?

probably not the number but what extras you can snag,and one off cleanups can be a good spinner.......get your adds out there for winter for clean ups and garden rejuvenations as you will have the time to commit

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    probably not the number but what extras you can snag,and one off cleanups can be a good spinner.......get your adds out there for winter for clean ups and garden rejuvenations as you will have the time to commit
    listen to him boys! Geoffrey does know what he's talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Simmo View Post
    This is a great topic to bring up....
    I would also love to know from a pro's perspective what is the minimum number of regulars that would required to survive through winter?
    wouldnt dare to call myself a "pro"

but, 3rd year in mowing (full time almost), 11th year running my own businesses

whats your schedule go to in winter>?

in bris, growth season, most are 2 weeks mows,

in winter, most are 4 to 12, and even 16 weeks between mows.

so, in winter, my income (mowing) goes down to about half or quarter what i make in summer.

if your schedule does the same, youre stuck.

if you can maintain 35 lawns a week, on a 2 week schedule in summer, you got 70 customers max.

then winter comes, and youre only doing 10 to 20 lawns a week, and the phone dont ring from ferals that much, they ignore it till spring.

think its also that "summer regulars" dont mind doing it themself when its only every 4th or 6th weekend the wife makes em mow.

Then we get to summer, and they dont want to mow every 2nd weekend, it bums out their spare time, so they call a lawnie and spruke about how the last guy let them down ,and they want you REGULAR (until next winter, lol)

personally, i couldnt maintain this business if i wasnt already cashed up (own my own home)

i wouldnt like to rely on the lawn business to pay off a home and support a family

and realistically, if your schedule goes to 4, 8, 12 or 16 weeks between mows, you'll be back to a J.O.B before next spring.

dont know about your schedules mate, where you are and your weather patterns control it.

good luck tho

Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    r> even 16 weeks between mows.
    Are you serious.....?????????????
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill View Post
    listen to him boys! Geoffrey does know what he's talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    wouldnt dare to call myself a "pro"

but, 3rd year in mowing (full time almost), 11th year running my own businesses

whats your schedule go to in winter>?

in bris, growth season, most are 2 weeks mows,

in winter, most are 4 to 12, and even 16 weeks between mows.

so, in winter, my income (mowing) goes down to about half or quarter what i make in summer.

if your schedule does the same, youre stuck.

if you can maintain 35 lawns a week, on a 2 week schedule in summer, you got 70 customers max.

then winter comes, and youre only doing 10 to 20 lawns a week, and the phone dont ring from ferals that much, they ignore it till spring.

think its also that "summer regulars" dont mind doing it themself when its only every 4th or 6th weekend the wife makes em mow.

Then we get to summer, and they dont want to mow every 2nd weekend, it bums out their spare time, so they call a lawnie and spruke about how the last guy let them down ,and they want you REGULAR (until next winter, lol)

personally, i couldnt maintain this business if i wasnt already cashed up (own my own home)

i wouldnt like to rely on the lawn business to pay off a home and support a family

and realistically, if your schedule goes to 4, 8, 12 or 16 weeks between mows, you'll be back to a J.O.B before next spring.

dont know about your schedules mate, where you are and your weather patterns control it.

good luck tho
    It is amazing what 80kms in distance can do to growth patterns,4 weeks max down here in winter between mows for me with no complaints(most stay 2-3 weeks)probably more to do with demographics as you have said in the past.
    Winter is definitely clean up time around here along with garden reno's to get ready for spring/summer. Good coin in this stuff,don't just think mowing.
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Are you serious.....?????????????
    never been more serious.

we get a dry winter, some houses have 3m wide yards, with 8 foot high double paling fences, they dont GET much rain in the yard. (and not much sun, except an hour at lunchtime)

and i dont mean scabs holding out, if it just aint grown, how can you ask for money to mow it?

most (good) customers go 4 weeks, but a lot go a lot longer.

Thats where im coming from blue, brisbane is hard on lawnies.

where do you live, can i stay with you over winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Hey stump, I just want to be prepaired for change as my wife and I are just about ready to buy a home and start a family, just hanging off a bit till I can safely bring in the money
    Well, I am paying off a house, feeding 5 kids on one wage, and started my business in late Autumn last year. Nothing to panic about. I took my flyers and went door knocking obvious targets, introducing myself as the local lawnie,..quick hello, letting them know you have work in the area, and then just let them finish the conversation. You will amaze yourself with the strikerate if you pick your targets with some thought.
    I used to target a minimum of $100 a day, before I would think about going home to face the missus. Of course most days I done much better than that, and my run built up very quickly. In the first 2 months I just posted trial flyers and sat waiting for the phone to ring, and collected 9 regulars. After I got off my bum and had a dip, I put on a further 50 regulars over winter until Spring, when the phone didn't stop ringing from the flyers, therefore ditching the doorknock method.
    I did have a mild winter and great Spring to work with though.
    If you really have to make it work, and want to make it work,...you will do it easier than you think.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast