Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Blues

Default Re: Winter Blues

Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    never been more serious.

we get a dry winter, some houses have 3m wide yards, with 8 foot high double paling fences, they dont GET much rain in the yard. (and not much sun, except an hour at lunchtime)

and i dont mean scabs holding out, if it just aint grown, how can you ask for money to mow it?

most (good) customers go 4 weeks, but a lot go a lot longer.

Thats where im coming from blue, brisbane is hard on lawnies.

where do you live, can i stay with you over winter?
    Adelaide mate.....driest state....but we dont get that bad....winter is actually wet...lol......can you make rum...might let you stay if you can and are willing to push a mower
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

i can make rum disappear, is that good enough?

my family doesnt eat much, when can we come?

Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    i can make rum disappear, is that good enough?

my family doesnt eat much, when can we come?
    I will think about it....
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Lawn Mowing has Officailly STOPPED, This has been my first week Since i very first started that i made 400 bucks this week SO Many cancellation due to lack of growth I have made flyers up going to do some over the weekend, I havent recieved a call from my Add in the paper for 2 weeks,
    Im thinking to stop the add till end of winter, just to save 300 bucks a month.
    and now unfurtunaly Looks like i may have to get a casual job for a few months,
    i do still have a few gardening jobs in the works, and a few bits here and there but basically not alot happening in sydney

Yep has fallen right off but just remember go hard during summer autum and spring and holiday time during winter.yeh yeh

Yup, went out with $250 worth of jobs in the book today, came home with $100 and $10 I was owed from last time. Got some pruning, gardening etc coming up but I'm suddenly on 4-6 week mows. I still have some commercial contract stuff that is monthly but the residentials are slowing right up. Thank god the wife is getting busy in the cafe.

Gee, sounds like you Mohicans north of the border have it tough. Plenty of work lying around here still. Gotta love the Garden State.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

i can vouch for the mowing stopping in sydney, compared to this time last year the growth rate on my clients lawns is down 70%. ive got clients putting off getting there lawns mowed every day.. i am also thinking of getting a part time job ie: 1 day a week just to suplement the loss of income. i havnt mowed my lawns in 4 weeks and they have only grown 3 cms. going to be a long slow winter
    bns lawn & garden care

yup, holiday time, come back in spring, europe for me

It's project time, guys!

Lawns are down to four-weekly for serious customers and something longer (and more costly) for the other kind.

There is so much excellent project work around that I'm developing new calluses on my old calluses, and I'm one of those blokes that wears gloves all the time. I'm probably not going to be able to play guitar right after the next few weeks.

Just let 'em know what you can do, submit quotations (even unrequested ones) for project work that your are properly skilled to do. You can help some some, and in other places you plant the seed that there may be a better way to do stuff on their land and you can help them later. After all - fees go up when Spring starts - and let customers know it so they can have the biggest discounts for the major works now.

YMMV, etc.

Take heart.

Cheers - GardenGuy.
    My Garden Guy - www.mygardenguy.com.au. Visit us at Facebook too! Visit our Blog for seasonal updates and hints about what your garden needs now.
    Servicing Sydney's North Shore from Chatswood to Cowan. Lawn mowing, gardening services, clean-ups and more.

If you need lawn mowing and garden services, you need an ILMCOA member. Check the directory for someone local to you.

correct..upsell to existing customers,give quotes for potential work even if they didnt ask.......did one the other day for a customer who accepted a 4k clean up....thought this places needs sprucing up and bingo they loved it.....even if its for 100 bucks or whatever work on your customer base....as jims say we do more than mowing
    Winter time is a great time to earn good money on other than mowing...better hourly rates and good profit

Am I the only one? What the hec is YMMV?

I will have a guess and say yard maintanence make over?
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

YMMV= 'Your Mileage(/motives/results) May Vary"

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    correct..upsell to existing customers,give quotes for potential work even if they didnt ask.......did one the other day for a customer who accepted a 4k clean up....thought this places needs sprucing up and bingo they loved it.....even if its for 100 bucks or whatever work on your customer base....as jims say we do more than mowing
    Winter time is a great time to earn good money on other than mowing...better hourly rates and good profit
    YEP X2. As i said in a previous post put in for garden maintenance on a mowing only job and price and timing was right. Got it and initial mowing quote is now 50% higher for a commercial client. Sometime you just have to try it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast