Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Whats the best way to access a high hedge?

Default Re: Whats the best way to access a high hedge?

Hi Wyandra, yes, I'm new to the forum. I have been in business now just on two years, although that time has also been filled with studying at tafe. Previous occupations have also given me a good grasp of practical/technical situations (if that is what was being asked?)

I agree fully with your sentiments regarding the use of clients equipment, and also the dangers of working at height.

Although, this particular client is not just the average client, due to previous history, associations etc.

I realise that the high hedge subject is a touchy one at best, and that forums are not always the best way to gauge the experience and bravado levels of the participants. Surely a dedicated hedging ladder with fully adjustable legs is at least worthy of consideration.

Cheers, John.

I would refuse to use the ladder because it would be an obvious sign that the customer that the customer cares more about their wallet than your safety. How would your relationship be with your customer if you fell, broke your back and had to sue them for their house?

They could always call someone who already has the equipment, skills insurance etc. Only motivation I can see is to save money by passing the cost of the risk on to you. Hope you are getting paid at least double.

Those henchman ladders look good, but I cannot see any reference on the website to them conforming to Australian standards.

http://www.ohsrep.org.au/faqs/ohs-re...nd-regulations

Quote Originally Posted by Wyadra View Post
    I would refuse to use the ladder because it would be an obvious sign that the customer that the customer cares more about their wallet than your safety. How would your relationship be with your customer if you fell, broke your back and had to sue them for their house?

They could always call someone who already has the equipment, skills insurance etc. Only motivation I can see is to save money by passing the cost of the risk on to you. Hope you are getting paid at least double.
    I appreciate your concern, but you are starting to assume a lot, about both me and my client, with not a lot of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyadra View Post
    Those henchman ladders look good, but I cannot see any reference on the website to them conforming to Australian standards.

http://www.ohsrep.org.au/faqs/ohs-re...nd-regulations
    Yes, very good point. I have emailed the Australian supplier about this, although I am not anticipating a quick response at this time of year.

Cheers, John.

7A60BAFC-403D-4E7D-9BB7-E1106C1DC9B5.jpg7A60BAFC-403D-4E7D-9BB7-E1106C1DC9B5.jpgthis is my highest platform ladder i use.
    Anything over this height
    I say no to. Also these platform ladders are very safe especially with that frame around your waist as you don’t have to hold on when hedging
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

me too - starting to hate hedging, too much abuse to the body

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Disliking hedges at height and/or very wide ones that over hanging neighbours. Last year I cancelled all my hedge clients who don't have me mowing there lawns. Knock back all hedges for non current customers who call me. A luxury house in my street 6 houses up the road paid $880 for his hedges to be done after I knocked back the work. He said I'll call you again for the next cut and hopefully you are not as busy as when I last called. I've mowed the house next door to him for several years so he sees me. But it's too hard on the body as mentioned by Redeye, so it will get knocked back again.
    But for my regular client base, I do there hedges promptly.

Edit, in my locality those high & wide hedges that overhang the neighbour usually have a high drop off narrow edge retainer wall to the fence to deal with that sends me down the negative path with hedges.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post

I must be in the same age bracket!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    I have perfectly valid excuse now.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I have perfectly valid excuse now.
    Fair call i reckon

I'd refuse to do any hedge that couldn't be cut down to a height for maintenance without a ladder or scaffold.
    The height of the trimmer held above my head when standing on the ground is the highest I would go.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

I was in the Stihl shop recently. I asked the salesman, who had been in the business for many years, what should I be charging for hedging? His reply was what is the value of your knees, hips, and shoulders?
    Out there giving it my best shot

l'm asking myself that lately.....

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Very Helpful Member

think of a price double it and your getting close
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456