Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rover Pro Cut 560, with MTD engine

Default Re: Rover Pro Cut 560, with MTD engine

yep, the rover beats the honda hands down for long and or wet grass,

no doubt about that mate, none at all, its a BEAST

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    Surely Honda has marketing people that know what they are doing?
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

10 minutes into the first mow of the day and the left hand back wheel seized up. Big, big day with just the 196 ( Tho it kept hunting and threatening to stall.. might be some gunk in the carby. ) The 560 also has worn through the plastic plate at the bottom of the gearbox, so its throwing grass up into the works. I'm told riveting a pit of tin over it is the go.

I really wish I had taken the advice I was given to BUY NEW!!

Tom

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    - In speaking to my own, I get the feeling that many dealers got burnt buying lots of the 850 engined machines, because contractors simply never had enough time to discover them before their honda's died. (the 850 powered versions). Now that they have seemed to, its too late.
    I went to a Rover dealer who doesn't have any floor stock of the current rover with the new 910 engine. Got a good quote of $750 (cheapest i have found) but he then went on (not sure exactly why) to breaking my heart. He claimed he bought 18 x 850 engined machines when they were being discontinuted for only $350 each. Was telling me that it is the best combo and a great reliable set up. He said the 910 will most likely be crap, but you can get a B&S 850 when it blows.

His words... He couldn't get rid of the 850's at the time as everyone wanted a Honda. He eventually sold the 18 mowers and now wishes he hanged onto them and bought 100 units. He also said if you can get your hands on a second hand model for under $300 grab it!

Makes you wonder how much new mowers are at trade prices... seems like a hefty mark up

Simmo.

He did not advertise very well then if I had known I would have got my son to pick me one up. Onto another subject. Honda have had their motors manufactured under licence in China for four or five years now. About 4 years ago a friend of mine bought a new Honda SP and in very small print on a label at the back of the engine was " Made in China under Licence for Honda" So if the new B & S Motors are made the same way I can not see a problem.

Tom if the lefthand wheel has seized up totally it's probably lost a circlip that holds the drive pawl and gear in, and the washer that holds the pawl in has locked up the wheel. You will need new washer, circlip and a 1/2" speed clip. If you are going to take the wheels off and repair go to local Rover shop and get 4 Pawls, 2 washers and 3 new circlips and 4 1/2 speed clips and renew both pawls. Will save you lots of time. Just make certain you get the pawls in the right way as they can both ways but only one way works properly

Thanks David,

Just what I needed to know.

Tom

G'day,
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I ended up going for the Rover Pro Cut 560 SP, 22" deck, with the 910 engine (couldn't justify the extra few hundred for the B&S, for just my few lawns a week), dealer was getting in another one aswell so i saved on freight, $740.

Picked it up today & did 2 lawns this arvo....FWIW (which isnt much after just 2 lawns!!)....im impressed.

Mulched very well, both lawns were well overdue, engine did struggle for a few seconds on the really long wet sections, but easing off on the drive lever gave it the time to pick up the revs again.

the dead mans lever didnt worry me, accept for going past the odd overhanging branch, & I found the drive lever really comfortable & easy to operate, I was adjusting the SP speed by "riding the drive lever" with my thumb.
    Nice long (padded) handles, provide plenty of leg room.

The starter cord could do with being another 300mm longer, im pulling it to its limit to start it.
    and no fuel on/off valve that I could see, isnt handy for maintenance.

woodchip rates it so far ....8 & a half (empty catcher's) out of ten.

cheers

Thats a couple of times that I have heard owners say that they bog down a little. The Briggs takes extreme conditions to bog it down. Thick, wet very long stuff will do it. Even then it won't necessarily stall.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123