Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyone with a smart phone re data usage

Default anyone with a smart phone re data usage

hey all
    \
    wondering how much data use will cost me on my plan

just want to look up the weather on the bom site or google a phone number occasionally.

how much data does stuff like that use a month (no dl'ing xxx lol) need to know how much MB's data light use like that is, so i can see what my plan should be set up as

any help appreciated, thanks

Default Re: anyone with a smart phone re data usage

I'm still trying to understand mine after a few months of having it.

Was going to get a $45 plan but the shop (Crazy Johns/Vodafone) talked me into a $55 plan but so far I haven't had a bill under $85.

Supposed to have $500 worth of calls and text, plus 2GB of data but 'apparently' if you believe my bill I'm going over that. And I don't use the data a lot; weather, news, bit of Bookface and that's about it!

Check out Amaysim. They use Optus network but unlimited text, calls (not 1300 etc numbers or international) and 4G of data. $40/mth no contract.
    http://www.amaysim.com.au/mobile-pla...nlimited.html/

thanks mick, but im a telstra supporter, sorry

used to work for them, and i understand all these other companies are just sending your money in the way of profits overseas, while using the telstra networks etc'

makes me mad some of the things telstra is made to do, as a "public service" and none of the other telcos have to

not a level playing field lol

support aussie companies, use telstra

No Telstra service at my place!

200mb a month should be heaps for checking that kinda stuff everyday including email. if you start watching youtube etc.. then thats when you start to rack up the downloads

Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post

support aussie companies, use telstra
    who then send their help desk to offshore call centers.

Optus have 2 gig $55 a month plans for samsungs, I''ve only ever used 4oo mb and that was flogging it

Yep, just like they're all doing. The banks, the airlines, textile/clothing/boot manufacturers, car companies and on it goes.

When the mining boom finally dries up in however many years this country is truly going to be stuffed.

Quote Originally Posted by dooley View Post
    who then send their help desk to offshore call centers.

yep, they all have offshore call centres,

for instance, when you put your home phone with optus, its still the telstra infrastructure that is used, telstra is forced to give optus for example 10 % off what they would charge you direct, then optus gives you 5% off, taking 5% for themselves which they havent done ANYTHING for, then the profit is sent overseas.

so you get 5% off, but australia misses out on the other 5%.

wonder why your phone bills keep getting higher?

cos of this sort of scenario.

remember, i used to work for them, so did my wife, so did her dad,

weve seen it all come in, and it still wows me what telstra has to put up with

another is the public phone boxes - telstra is FORCED by the government to supply them, at a LOSS to the company, but no other company is expected to chip in.

another is the rural guys - telstra is forced to supply phone services to remote areas at a GIANT loss to the company, and if you havent guessed where this is going, none of the other telcos chips in.

the other telcos are only interested in the "cream", the std "trunk" business between bris, syd and melb, and mobiles.

annoys the hell out of me.

so next time consider telstra, and their australian employees, tell optus and the others to bugger off.

My bro worked for Telstra for close to 30 years and he used to put up the same arguments about the other telcos bludging off Telstra's network too.

I'm not sure what happened when he resigned, but seems like Telstra told him and thousands of other employees to just 'bugger off'.

Now he won't have a bar of Telstra, and I think he would like to disown me because I still have Telstra for all of my services.

I always lived where Telstra was the only provider(for mobile) so I never had a choice, but now I live closer to civilisation the alternatives look tempting.

I'm thinking of getting a smart phone ATM. I'd like to stay with Telstra because they do have a good reliable mobile network and the best coverage but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $15-20/month. I suppose 1 missed call could cost me much more in a lost job.

Looking at the $49 plan from Telstra. Can't remember exactly, but I think it gives $450 of calls and 1.5 gigs of data. That would be heaps for me.

yeah, capped plans are the best

one thing to remember with plans, the level you start the plan at is your MINIMUM, you can always increase it, then decrease it to the starting level later, (for exapmple, make the starting point your winter usage, then when summer comes, increase the plan, then decrease it again come winter,)

you can start it at what minimum level you have to to get the handset you want, then immediately increase it if youre using it heaps atm

you can never go below what you started at.

mine is on a $79 plan atm, and i never go above that usage, i have to get a new plan soon, so i can get another free (spare) handset, - my wife won this smart phone at a shopping centre, and i have to say im hooked on them now - so easy to text, and read stuff, looks fancy too, lol

cheers

and thanks for the info on your data usages, i'll ring telstra and check what data i get with my plan

I used about 400MB for the month I have had my iphone which is basically looking up the weather and a few bits and pieces, and my kids have watched a bit of stuff on youtube which would chew it up a lot more. 200MB would probably be enough. I have 2gb on my plan including free bookface. There are also plenty of places with free wi fi as well so you can use theirs where possible. I am on a $69 plan with Voda which has 2GB of data and $650 in calls per month. Telstra should have something similar.

Just be careful with voice mail as it is not always included in the cap and they charge heaps for it.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Poor old Telstra...getting ripped off by the other telcos. Hope it doesn't upset thier mask the bloody bandits. Making record profits all the time. As for offshore call centers just don't use a company who uses them if it upsets you. Won't be long before none of our infrastructure support is based here. Bloody disgrace it is and the useless bloody government wont lift a finger to support our own companies. Enough to make you want to have a beer. Hmmmmm now there is an idea.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

[QUOTE=Bluey;90562]Poor old Telstra...getting ripped off by the other telcos. Hope it doesn't upset thier mask the bloody bandits. Making record profits all the time. As for offshore call centers just don't use a company who uses them if it upsets you. Won't be long before none of our infrastructure support is based here. Bloody disgrace it is and the useless bloody government wont lift a finger to support our own companies. Enough to make you want to have a beer. Hmmmmm now there is an idea.
    mmmmmmmmbeer.
    Al
    May's Total Garden Care
    www.maystotalgardencare.com
    Ph: 0400556979

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast