Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyone with a smart phone re data usage

Default Re: anyone with a smart phone re data usage

happymowing,

Telecom was sold ""as is"" to become Telstra, with the attached conditions they provided services that Telecom already had in place, like phone booths and services to remote areas. If it was such a sore point then the share holders could have done something about it before buying Telecom / Telstra. Telstra was never forced to do anything, that's the way it was sold. If it wasn't made in to law as a declared service, then no one outside a major city would have landlines. Is this something you would prefer to see?

There are conditions attached to to the way Telstra behaves because in the Australian telco landscape it is unique as it owns the network and sells the network and uses the same network. Do you honestly think that without any forced behavior that Telstra would allow any other company access to its network? And without access to its network, no other company would be able to offer competitive services, and there would be massive price hikes by the company that has a MONOPOLY, that is, Telstra. The ACCC ensures that Telstra doesn't sell Bigpond internet connections at a price lower than it sells the same connection to other ISPs. I think that's fair, it fosters competition and growth.

Telstra charges my ISP $10 more to supply me an adsl connection due to an archaic law that stipulates if the exchange has no other ISP infrastructure, it falls in to the ""regional 2"" price range. It has nothing to do with distances as there are exchanges in the middle of Melbourne that have a classification of Regional 2, and that allows Telstra to charge $10 per service that exchanges classified as Regional 1. That's daylight robbery.

I am also forced to pay Telstra to have a phone line so I can get adsl. Telstra have fought tooth and nail to stop other ISPs putting their infrastructure in to Telstra exchanges so that other ISPs can offer "naked" adsl, that is, an adsl service without having to have a traditional voice service. The majority of Telstra''s income is generated by having the compulsory phone line in to every house in order to have an internet connection. I want choice, and Telstra''s greed is stopping it.

The sooner the NBN is completed, and the monster that is Telstra is bought to heel, the better.

Oh, and if it isn't clear by now, I cant stand Telstra and their business tactics.

</rant> lol

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

I have 500 mb and never used it all but then again my phone hooks into wifi when i get home so its only getting emails and stalk book when not at home.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Quote Originally Posted by fairdinkum View Post
    Just be careful with voice mail as it is not always included in the cap and they charge heaps for it.

My voicemail irritates me. Despite deleting old or listened to messages, if I get a new one all the old ones are there again. So I have to listen to them and delete them again which I'm sure is costing me money every time I have to do it.

I had one new message late in the day today, but sure enough the phone said 4 new messages, the rest of which I had already listened to and deleted earlier!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    My voicemail irritates me. Despite deleting old or listened to messages, if I get a new one all the old ones are there again. So I have to listen to them and delete them again which I'm sure is costing me money every time I have to do it.

I had one new message late in the day today, but sure enough the phone said 4 new messages, the rest of which I had already listened to and deleted earlier!

wow, paul odd,

contact your carrier and complain, and also make sure youre NOT paying for that.

thats would XXss me right off, (who's your carrier btw?)

dooley, i see your point, but on the other hand why should telstra let other telcos feed off the back of its infrastructure?

and if telstra didnt subsidize all the stuff youre talking about, and it was a level playing field like in usa, then the USER would have to pay for what they get - and isnt that fairer?

alls im saying is that use telstra, the profit stays here and lots gets reinvested into the network (before privatisation, ALL profit was reinvested, exceot what the gov't made telstra pay them)

you know we would have LOTS better service in australia, except telstra is dragging its feet, cos they know they whatever they do the gov't will make them share and give it away to the other telcos.

youre right the shareholders SHOULD have demanded a lot less public service stuff - but i ask you again, why should telstra be the only one doing it when the other telcos get to pick and choose which services they provide - and just take the cream, then send the profits back overseas to their shareholders?

its not a good system, i'll give you that.

but coming "from the inside" as i did, nothing seems fair as far as telstra is concerned.

i will still support them, sorry.

Crazy Johns / VodaFail

I had a bit of a shock a few months ago. Telstra smart phone Motorola Defy.... The first bill came in at $700. Mainly for data usage.....I called and found out that the smart phone continually downloads off the net. (Updates to your calendar and emails and for updates on programes)
    This is all in the hidden business of an smart phone that have to be activated to use the bloody thing.
    I requested they disconnect all these hidden updates. They said they cant. Ill have to go into my settings and delete them.
    After hours on Youtube learning how to... I finally did it.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

I've been having a look at the Android Forums to see what I can learn.

http://androidforums.com/

I have a couple of App and Process killers installed on my phone but as soon as you've switched them all off, one by one they simply start running again. Chews up your battery life and uses data.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I'm still trying to understand mine after a few months of having it.

Was going to get a $45 plan but the shop (Crazy Johns/Vodafone) talked me into a $55 plan but so far I haven't had a bill under $85.

Supposed to have $500 worth of calls and text, plus 2GB of data but 'apparently' if you believe my bill I'm going over that. And I don't use the data a lot; weather, news, bit of Bookface and that's about it!
    Paul
    Is it $55 + Handset fee maybe ?

I have two phones on my account(Telstra)
    My phone(iPhone 3G) is out of contract and on the Business Maximiser $49.00 plan. It never goes over that amount.
    My wife's phone(iPhone4) is on the same plan +$23 handset fee and it never goes over.
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

southernphone.com.au is the go, its owned by a heap of regional councils, is cheap and if you need to call them, you speak to a country guy or gal who knows their stuff - they use the optus network - I use them for home phone, mobile & internet

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Courty, 99% certain the phone was included in teh deal at $55 but you've got me thinking now. Will have to check.

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    I had a bit of a shock a few months ago. Telstra smart phone Motorola Defy.... The first bill came in at $700. Mainly for data usage.....I called and found out that the smart phone continually downloads off the net. (Updates to your calendar and emails and for updates on programes)
    This is all in the hidden business of an smart phone that have to be activated to use the bloody thing.
    I requested they disconnect all these hidden updates. They said they cant. Ill have to go into my settings and delete them.
    wow, that makes me feel happy that i disabled all wireless and downloading etc when i got it.

bugger.

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    I have a defy never had a problem with excess dowloads.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

ive never actually allowed it to even download the software or whatever to hook up to the app store.

i switched everything off i could, and now it warns me when i want to do something that needs downloading, i always press backwards on the menu at that point.

i dont understand them enough to want to take the chance.

heard other horror stories like the one above.

ffs, i just want to use it as a PHONE and to retrieve my voicemail.

i use the PC at home for anything else.

i know all you young fellas are laughing at the dinosaur, lol

but thats the way it is.

Red Bull Mobile has a $365/yr prepaid plan with unlimited calls, sms etc and 5gig/month. As for data usage I generally turn my mobile data off unless I'm doing something with it.

A lot of free apps (on android at least) have ads in them to pay for it but there are ad blockers you can get so it's not continually using data, but you may need a rooted phone to use them (if you think a rooted phone is one you dropped in a bucket of water, this option probably isn't for you).

Red Bull Mobile uses Vodafone's network which has had a bad rap but I hear is getting better. Just check your phone works on your local 3G frequencies or pay $1 more ($366 total) and get a HTC Explorer included.

I've read somewhere (no link, i forget where) that Optus also has it's own exchanges which would suggest not everyone is leeching off telstra's network.

Oh I don't use Red Bull Mobile, was just looking at it last night. I've lived and worked in country WA for years so Telstra's coverage has been the only real option. I recently got a pocket wifi 2 on vodafone's network which is useable but I only got it to unlock myself and use with whichever provider I want (as it covers all the 3G frequencies Telstra, Optus and Vodafone).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast