Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyone with a smart phone re data usage

Default Re: anyone with a smart phone re data usage

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    I had a bit of a shock a few months ago. Telstra smart phone Motorola Defy.... The first bill came in at $700. Mainly for data usage.....I called and found out that the smart phone continually downloads off the net. (Updates to your calendar and emails and for updates on programes)
    This is all in the hidden business of an smart phone that have to be activated to use the bloody thing.
    I requested they disconnect all these hidden updates. They said they cant. Ill have to go into my settings and delete them.
    After hours on Youtube learning how to... I finally did it.
    I'm in the same boat ATM. Just got my Defy+ on the weekend and just got a notification that my data usage has reached 700MB(1GB limit). I turned off data so hopefully it won't go any higher.
    I have only installed 4 apps and seems the phone is forever updating things.
    Is there a way of seeing which app or process is using the data?

Also there is an option to delay updates until you can access a wi-fi network. How does this work? I can connect to my home network(well it tells me I'm connected but I don't know what that lets me do).
    When I'm connected to home wifi, do I download the updates and the data usage goes in as home usage rather than phone plan usage?

Also, even though I have wifi, bluetooth and gps turned off my home network tells me I'm still connected to it.

I'm feeling like putting the sim card back in the old brick

I got my Motorola Defy from Telstra shop, the techo there asked me what I wanted, I told him I wanted it as a phone, to be able to take pics and email. I haven't had any problems with data usage, I am usually under every month. I suppose who sets it up as to what you end up getting charged for. Yes I think that's correct with the download going onto your home account as you are using the house WiFi. Yeah mine keeps telling me that WiFi is available. What ticks me off it the fact I can't change sound for seperate notifications, if I silent notifications then I don't know when a TXT or 101 message comes through.

I have the defy as well.

Best thing I have done is go to the task manager and put all apps in the auto end list. This means they turn off after 2 mins.
    That way if you forget to turn off Data enabled they stop and dont download anymore.

My optus plan has 3gb limit and I normally use about 1.2,

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    I'm in the same boat ATM. Just got my Defy+ on the weekend and just got a notification that my data usage has reached 700MB(1GB limit). I turned off data so hopefully it won't go any higher.
    I have only installed 4 apps and seems the phone is forever updating things.
    Is there a way of seeing which app or process is using the data?

Also there is an option to delay updates until you can access a wi-fi network. How does this work? I can connect to my home network(well it tells me I'm connected but I don't know what that lets me do).
    When I'm connected to home wifi, do I download the updates and the data usage goes in as home usage rather than phone plan usage?

Also, even though I have wifi, bluetooth and gps turned off my home network tells me I'm still connected to it.

I'm feeling like putting the sim card back in the old brick
    Mate if it's an android phone you can tell it to only download updates via wifi. Like many useful features it's buried somewhere in the multitude of settings options. When you have a chance it's good to go into the settings menu and just browse through every single sub menu just to see what your options are. I love android but it's bloody infuriating sometimes.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Thanks fair dinkum. Yes I found that and set it to do that. I have data OFF and wifi ON and data usage has stopped. Can connect to the web here at home via wi fi and not use the phones data quota.
    Spent most of last night trying to get it to talk to the other computers on my home network via wi fi with no success, but that's not important. The modem/router recognises it.

It seems to use the battery up quickly. Even with most things turned off, keyboard turns off after 1 minute and not many calls it needs to be charged up every night.
    My shakey old numb fingers play havoc with the touch screen at times, but happy with the thing overall.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    What ticks me off it the fact I can't change sound for seperate notifications, if I silent notifications then I don't know when a TXT or 101 message comes through.
    David, I don't know if it's just coincidence, but since I set mine to 'delay updates until wi fi is available', the update notifications don't seem to appear. My only notifications since then have been messages. But early days for me so that might not be right.

4 gardens, I couldn't find that feature. Will keep looking. Have another 24 days before I'm game to turn Data on again.

Hi Edbeek, if you tap the green circle key in bottom middle of screen itshould come up with a list of all programs. scroll down to task manager, hold finger on each appliations name and it come up with window with option to add to auto end list.

I added all of mine to the auto end list. It stops data but also speeds up the phone a bit too

When installing any apps i do NOT select auto update, I have to then update manualy in the play store

Note to self..........don't buy an android phone
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    When the mining boom finally dries up in however many years this country is truly going to be stuffed.
    Right there Paul we had better hope China keeps ticking along or we are stuffed look at whats happening to the US we are going the exact same way.

This is all great info guys.
    I bought my Motorola Defy last year on a business package and had the same 1st bill $700.
    Telstra didnt know how to stop the data issue. I eventually did what allot of you guys have done. By turning off allot of stuff.
    SInce then, my bill has stayed the same minimum amount for $100.
    I dont know which is better ( Android or iPhone Apple)...
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Thanks fair dinkum. Yes I found that and set it to do that. I have data OFF and wifi ON and data usage has stopped. Can connect to the web here at home via wi fi and not use the phones data quota.
    Spent most of last night trying to get it to talk to the other computers on my home network via wi fi with no success, but that's not important. The modem/router recognises it.

It seems to use the battery up quickly. Even with most things turned off, keyboard turns off after 1 minute and not many calls it needs to be charged up every night.
    My shakey old numb fingers play havoc with the touch screen at times, but happy with the thing overall.
    Bluetooth, wifi, gps, mobile networks etc chew the crap out of the battery. Only turn that stuff on when necessary.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Gardens View Post
    Hi Edbeek, if you tap the green circle key in bottom middle of screen itshould come up with a list of all programs. scroll down to task manager, hold finger on each appliations name and it come up with window with option to add to auto end list.
    Mine is a Defy+ and seems to be a bit different. I can 'manage apps' but it doesn't have that option. I can 'force stop' which would probably do the same thing.
    Just checked 'running apps' and only the pre-installed stuff is running. Might go through them some time and shut some of them down when I learn what they do.

Maybe, being brand new, everything needed updating all at once because it's settled down now. Even the battery is still at 80 % after 36 hours.

All good. Thanks for everyones help.

There's some fairly good deals now on cap plan,I have voda $39 cap,samsung s2,includes $450 calls, not sure what data,don't use Internet much mainly google few things,Facebook,email,make lots of daily calls,rang overseas a few times too,still never goes over cap!

I have had a Defy+ for a couple of months now. My biggest data use has been about 70mb....and that was only because I listened to internet radio for a little while. Currently I am halfway through the billing cycle and have used 2% of 256mb. I'm on a $40 plan and never use all my data (256mb) or all my calls ($350 worth).

Getting the Sony Xperia they say its the same as the samsung 3 and the Ipone 5 any one have this phone....
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast