Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Scored some goodies

Hybrid View

Default Scored some goodies

A couple of weeks ago visiting my Nanna for her birthday I mentioned I was starting a business to mow lawns as my job was due to finish end of March (construction). When I got home my Pop called and said they have a mower and whipper snipper I can have as they get a lawny in to do it for them now.

So today I went for another visit and picked up a Masport President 2000 mower w/ Sprint 375 engine and a Stihl FS45C whippy (easy start type).

Both started as soon as I got them home without any dramas. The mower needs some new blades but the oil looks practically new. Pop has always looked after his gear (my brother was lucky enough to score his reel mower via dad a few years ago) and hasn't used any of it for a while. My Nanna's take on the Stihl is "Even wifey can start that one" so I tested that out and it's true.

After loading it up in the van Pop asked if I had room for another one and showed me old faithful. According to the receipt (the manual is generic Victa) it is a Victa Commando. The receipt is dated 21/01/1984 making it nearly as old as me. They were both still impressed with it saying it never gave them a problem and even has a spare cutting deck (i think? the bit you bolt blades onto) so you can just change that if the blades need doing (not sure if it's quicker). Unfortunately the van was full so I called dibs and I'll pick it up next time. I'm assuming it's the original engine so it will be interesting to see how it goes. Original Purchase price was $305 1984 dollars.

I figure even if I don't use the old girl it's better for me to grab it than have it thrown out by someone.

Once I pick up dad's edger and find a petrol blower I'll be sorted. Somehow I've managed to get most of the gear I need without spending a lot, just a trailer plug for dad's old trailer and some replacement jerries after mine were stolen (I wouldn't have needed to if I visited Pop before I bought these today). All that is left is hard work and persistence once my current job comes to an end.

Default Re: Scored some goodies

choice score whitty

the thingo the blades goes on is called a blade carrier (i think, lol, 5 xxxx'x and im ANYBODYs lol), some call it the blade disc i think

it will make it quicker to change on the go, or you could have one set up for one condition and one for another (one with low lifts and one with high's or one with just 2 for mulching etc)

but it WILL make it quicker even to just have the same blades on it as the mower, then you change the worn out blades at home i the bench vice, instead of on the ground at the job.

dont worry about the basic tools, they still do the same job imo (keep sharp blades on the mower) and in time youll afford a sp mower and a better whippy etc.

better to start small than to spend $60,000 straight up, never knowing if youll keep at it./

cheers and good luck

Hey Whitty, I started out with a victa commando. Was a good mower with a 5 horse engine, but my advice is to start putting away for a commercial mower asap, as I can assure you, my Rover makes the old commando feel like a toy. You will appreciate it when it takes you half the time to do a thick Kyke lawn with the bigger mower, and also the commercial mowers have much bigger catchers so you are not emptying them every 3 metres. Make sure you get one with a mulch option, as you can mow a lawn in almost half the time again in the drier months. For long grass and cleanups you will need a whipper with double the power of the fs45.
    If you can afford an old second hand utility mower like a big bob or jetfast, then it will be money very well spent. Will cut down that knee high stuff with ease.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

Yeah agreed about getting something bigger. I am looking to get a proscape but I still haven't found where to get one from in WA. I was also looking at the kaaz brushcutters from Bunnings. Originally I was planning to get all 4 stroke gear to remove the fuel mixing but I'm not so concerned about that anymore.

Very Helpful Member

try ringing Lee Archer and co 1800 62 62 10 they should be able to tell you where to buy a proscape mower in W.A as they also do the Kaaz you should be able to buy this from the same place i would recommend buying trying to buy your equipment from one dealer as any dealer that knows what he's doing should try and give you priority service
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

So i pruned my trees out front resently and found hydrolic sives in the soil and alot of buliders rubble from a renavation that got done like 6 months a go and a k-mart shirt in the soil frickin bulders good place to dump bricks its where a yellow sunflower thrived who knows i know...
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    A couple of weeks ago visiting my Nanna for her birthday I mentioned I was starting a business to mow lawns as my job was due to finish end of March (construction). When I got home my Pop called and said they have a mower and whipper snipper I can have as they get a lawny in to do it for them now.

So today I went for another visit and picked up a Masport President 2000 mower w/ Sprint 375 engine and a Stihl FS45C whippy (easy start type).

Both started as soon as I got them home without any dramas. The mower needs some new blades but the oil looks practically new. Pop has always looked after his gear (my brother was lucky enough to score his reel mower via dad a few years ago) and hasn't used any of it for a while. My Nanna's take on the Stihl is "Even wifey can start that one" so I tested that out and it's true.

After loading it up in the van Pop asked if I had room for another one and showed me old faithful. According to the receipt (the manual is generic Victa) it is a Victa Commando. The receipt is dated 21/01/1984 making it nearly as old as me. They were both still impressed with it saying it never gave them a problem and even has a spare cutting deck (i think? the bit you bolt blades onto) so you can just change that if the blades need doing (not sure if it's quicker). Unfortunately the van was full so I called dibs and I'll pick it up next time. I'm assuming it's the original engine so it will be interesting to see how it goes. Original Purchase price was $305 1984 dollars.

I figure even if I don't use the old girl it's better for me to grab it than have it thrown out by someone.

Once I pick up dad's edger and find a petrol blower I'll be sorted. Somehow I've managed to get most of the gear I need without spending a lot, just a trailer plug for dad's old trailer and some replacement jerries after mine were stolen (I wouldn't have needed to if I visited Pop before I bought these today). All that is left is hard work and persistence once my current job comes to an end.
    Mate if I were you I wouldn't wear this gear out I would look after it and probably not use it unless I had to. I treasure anything that was given to me by my grandparents and wish I had kept more of the stuff they had. There is nothing better than a nan and pop, I wish I still had mine...