Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keywords and SEO

Default Keywords and SEO

I have been doing a lot of fiddling with my website lately trying to maximise the chances of people finding my site through higher ranking. For the guys that know more about SEO, how many keywords and keyword phrases should you have? Is it better to have less that are more target specific? Reading some other IT blogs, some of them say to not use the same keyword in your phrases more than 5 times or the search engines mark your site as spam. I have lots of different phrases with 'irrigation' in mine, but am thinking now it is harming my ranking rather than improving it. I had lots of target suburbs with 'irrigation' but removed a lot of them after reading this. I still have irrigation in there probably 50 times amongst the phrases as well as 'watering system' and 'sprinkler system' with all the other bits.

I have stacks of keywords but just trying to understand if having less words of higher quality is better than quantity if that makes sense? I have incorrect spelling amongst them as well to catch the typos.
    I have also started to change the image titles to include my keywords as apparently this is another thing the search engines like?

Default Re: Keywords and SEO

Sounds like your on the right track Stripes but you surely don't expect people to tell you their secrets on here do you.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Sounds like your on the right track Stripes but you surely don't expect people to tell you their secrets on here do you.
    I thought that was the idea behind Indi to help fellow lawnies/gardeners out. Maybe move it to the private section if you dont want everyone to see it.

I know some of you guys build websites as well, and I don't expect you to reveal all your secrets. Just thought I would ask about that keywords thing specifically- whether having too many keywords actually harms your ranking. I know the search engines don't really reveal exactly what they look at to rank sites, but I have been doing lots of research and there seems to be different views from different sites. I have no idea which of them is right, which is why I thought I would ask on here. I understand you don't want to reveal your secrets, but as Scooby said we have shared so much on this site to help each other grow.

Hi Stripes, I don't pretend to be an expert but I've been doing the site for my wife's business for about 6 or 7 years now if you search the words DANCE and GLENROY it usualy comes up first I started my own not long ago but it can take months to get rankings up, a few things that may help. use a site map and submit it to google and other search engines. Use your keywords in text content at least 4 - 5 times on a page, meta crawlers look for links on your pages the more links the better, external links to your site from other sites are supposed to be one of the best ways to improve rankings
    Most search engines don't look at meta tag kewords much anymore, i see you've got heaps! from what i understand only use meta keywords that are in your content.
    DON'T use hidden text.
    instead of a title like "Autoflow Irrigation- Servicing the Hills District, Eastern Suburbs and North Shore of Sydney" on the sprinkler system page use some keyword from your text like "Autoflow lawn sprinkler systems"
    hope this helps

No secrets on the internet! just right click on any web page and select view source, all the code is there

Cheers Dazz.

That's what I wasn't sure about with keywords. When I had a site made for me by someone else about 6-7 years ago, they told me the more keywords the better, so when I made my site I put everything I could think of!
    My site was ranking pretty good at times last year but seems to have disappeared. I don't know if it's because I put too much rubbish on there or what. I regularly tweak the information and add a few new photos regularly to keep it fresh. There are times when I will search the common terms for irrigation and it ranks high, other times it's no where to be seen!

I knew nothing about website when I made it (just from a template as you can see how ordinary it is), but I have always had jobs coming in from referrals so have not been to fussed about the website bringing in jobs. The referrals have dried up so I need my site to perform better which is why I wanted to try and understand keywords and ranking a little better. I really need to get a professional looking site made when I have some coin.

Now your on the money
    Cheers

Bluey

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Dazz1 View Post
    No secrets on the internet! just right click on any web page and select view source, all the code is there
    Yep....and just exactly what are you going to do with it. There are many ways to get noticed by Google. Looking apeoples source code isnt one....sorry to burst ya bubble
    Cheers

Bluey

Stripes having too many useless key words is the quickest way to get your site demoted. Put this in the members area and I will give you a few...only a few...more hints
    Cheers

Bluey

Yep....and just exactly what are you going to do with it. There are many ways to get noticed by Google. Looking apeoples source code isnt one....sorry to burst ya bubble
    Don't be sorry no bubble burst here! just saying no secrets on the net its all there to be seen, i never said looking at code would get anyone noticed buy google!
    The whole concept of the net was to share info.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazz1 View Post
    Don't be sorry no bubble burst here! just saying no secrets on the net its all there to be seen, i never said looking at code would get anyone noticed buy google!
    The whole concept of the net was to share info.
    Yep true. The point I was trying to get across probably uselessly due to me having a few beers is SEO means more than code
    Cheers

Bluey

Yep true. The point I was trying to get across probably uselessly due to me having a few beers is SEO means more than code
    True, i think its more about knowing "your" customers and what they are searching for then anything else. if you don't have the content on your site that your customers are looking for you got no hope.

Stripes having too many useless key words is the quickest way to get your site demoted. Put this in the members area and I will give you a few...only a few...more hints
    Thanks Bluey. I have removed a lot of the keywords now.

I'll have to get the password off Dean for the members area.

Very Helpful Member

stripes just looked at your site and while i can't help with google ranking is it possible to increase the font size as i think this would make it easier to read
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast