Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keywords and SEO

Default Re: Keywords and SEO

Especially for old fellas who can't even see the fingerprints in the dust on their computer screens. lol Not you Ian.

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    Especially for old fellas who can't even see the fingerprints in the dust on their computer screens. lol Not you Ian.
    no worries Andy i know there is nothing wrong with my eyes
    but out of curiosity why do you have a picture of Cheeta as your avatar
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    stripes just looked at your site and while i can't help with google ranking is it possible to increase the font size as i think this would make it easier to read
    I was wondering about the size but seem people say it's fine like that and you don't have to scroll down to read the pages, others have said it's too small.

How does the home page look now with that size font compared to the rest pf the site? Don't know why but when I re-size it there are extra spaces everywhere and it took me a while to fix it all up! I'll wait for some feedback before I do the rest of the site.

I don't have trouble with either size font but think the larger looks better.
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Quote Originally Posted by courty View Post
    I don't have trouble with either size font but think the larger looks better.
    I think so too. I have just changed all the pages to bigger font, and also made the images bigger and re-named them so the search engines can pick them up and link with my content.

Very Helpful Member

easier to read also note it's now march so you may want to look at renaming the December special
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

easier to read also note it's now march so you may want to look at renaming the December special
    lol but that was the December special -which ran out in January!

I will archive it now...

Just had a look at your page mate. A couple of things jump out at me straightaway

1. Too much white space on right hand side. Is is a 3 column page if it is and you are not using that area change it to a 2 colum so that area does not look wasted
    2. If you are going to bold anything then do your top 2 or 3 keywords. By bolding a word you are telling bots that it is important to the structure of the page. Bold you top keywords and have them in the content. You can use underline for the same thing.
    3. No alt tags on your images. Use alt tags with keywords in them
    4. Get captcha for your contact page or else you will get heaps of spam
    5. Video links take you off your page. Have them open in a new tab

Hope that helps a bit
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Just had a look at your page mate. A couple of things jump out at me straightaway

1. Too much white space on right hand side. Is is a 3 column page if it is and you are not using that area change it to a 2 colum so that area does not look wasted
    2. If you are going to bold anything then do your top 2 or 3 keywords. By bolding a word you are telling bots that it is important to the structure of the page. Bold you top keywords and have them in the content. You can use underline for the same thing.
    3. No alt tags on your images. Use alt tags with keywords in them
    4. Get captcha for your contact page or else you will get heaps of spam
    5. Video links take you off your page. Have them open in a new tab

Hope that helps a bit
    Cheers Bluey. I appreciate the feedback.

The white space bugs me, but I haven't been able to figure out how to change it. The site is from a template and I can't seem to be able to change that part of it.
    I will work on the rest during the week.

Thanks again Bluey.

Is it a CMS template or website in a can one. Do you have any functions to adjust the template
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Thought I would put this out there as I spent about 8 hours looking at websites and local businesses last night and realised that a lot of businesses are advertising in a way that gets them a lot of front page exposure but makes them look....................well cheap.

About 12 months ago there was a new ( I think unregistered business ) that started an advertising campaign that got them on the front page everywhere (well at least in my work areas anyway) Ever since I have noticed that a lot of people have followed suit, including myself but only to a point. Even a certain new website that only allows businesses that have had training. I don't know too many independents that have had training unless your a jimbob.

I guess the point I'm getting at is that it does worried me but I suppose it shouldn't because most potential new customers see through the bull-crap advertising and look for a local professional contractor . The first business that I saw doing this disappeared with in 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Is it a CMS template or website in a can one. Do you have any functions to adjust the template
    No functions to adjust the template that I know of, but I have managed to get some font on the top and bottom where my phone number and name are. The website doesn't have the white on my old school monitor, but I see all the white when on my wife's widescreen lappy.

Thanks for all the help on this guys. I have just typed in random phrases to do with irrigation on Google and my site is on or near the top on most of them. I still have more work to do but it's getting there. I have made a few changes but I think it looks much better. I changed the top banner on my site but it came out a bit weird. Not sure why but I will muck around more with it today seeing it's raining. The curves on my font look like a 50 cent coin instead of being round.
    Thanks again everyone.

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Thanks for all the help on this guys. I have just typed in random phrases to do with irrigation on Google and my site is on or near the top on most of them. I still have more work to do but it's getting there. I have made a few changes but I think it looks much better. I changed the top banner on my site but it came out a bit weird. Not sure why but I will muck around more with it today seeing it's raining. The curves on my font look like a 50 cent coin instead of being round.
    Thanks again everyone.
    font looks fine to me and not wanting to be picky but do you only (perform garden makeovers for real estate sales) not for other people who aren't real estate agents trying to sell a property

font looks fine to me and not wanting to be picky but do you only (perform garden makeovers for real estate sales) not for other people who aren't real estate agents trying to sell a property
    Thanks for the feedback Ian.

It was more for the search term but I think at the moment the people more likely to get a garden makeover would be people selling. I figured most other people would type in 'landscaper' if they wanted their gardens re-done. If they type in Garden makeover it will come up, but if they type something about tips on selling their house it might pull a few more in. That was my theory anyway. People will be more willing to spend if they are selling their house and know they will get a return from it, or know that they need to spend a bit to sell their house to make it look the part.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast