Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Masport Variable speed mower

Default Re: Masport Variable speed mower

Quote Originally Posted by holdenhead View Post
    Hi, I have looked at these a few years ago, didn't buy one as I couldn't get any feedback from anyone on them. This was when bushrangers disapeared. It's a bit of money to spend without feedback or even being unable to see one in the flesh. I have found bushrangers again. MTD 509x all bushranger (the silver steelfort based one)but it's green and kolher powered and at only $830 for the SP and $670 for the pushie it's the best deal going. I have had Kawa powered mowers for years now so the kolher seems a little underpowered cuts and catches awsome though. You wont get a better catching mower. I am going down to waverley mowers when I get time to pick up one of those $599 kawa powered honda copies when I get a chance and gonna swap the engines over then plan on selling the honda copy with the kolher on it. So I will end up with a Kawa powered bushranger at a cheaper price than I paid for my original Bushie 3-4 years ago.

Check them out!!

Cheers Rick
    SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN RICK.

10 POINTS.

Hi stptow, what was the quality of the cut, did it give a good finish, for example similar to a Honda or Rover.

Quote Originally Posted by St George View Post
    It looks identical to the victa turfmaster.mine was great until I changed the blades now I'm searching for a after market set.
    St George, What do you mean re changed the blades and now its not great. I have the 530.
    Cheers Garry

comparable with rover in all conditions(wet, dry), very hard to beat honda in dry conditions.whilst using machine not one customer noticed that cut was different to rovers that i normally use.

Ive just purchased a 800AL-SPV (Variable speed)

First impressions? Awesome machine!

It absolutely sh!ts over the Honda in every way (HRU216M2).

#The motor actually sounds likes it working, the honda feels like its idling, needless to say the Masport has heaps of grunt.

#In top speed it would have to be near twice as quick as the Honda, I used the 6th speed setting which is comparable to my old Victa 550 Varispeed, the top speed setting (8) is a power walk/jog (i'm 6"2).

#No blade break!

#It feels lighter, much easier and quicker to maneuver.

#Folding the arms down is quick and easy, one lever on each arm locks it in, the Honda has a screw type.

#I emptied the bag with the mower still running a few times, I lowered the revs and all grass was in the bag with nothing left in the shoot, being winter this probably is'nt saying much, I dont see any safety issues emptying while the motor is still running.

#PRICE, it retails for $1,279 but I rang two mowers and they were both prepared to sell for $1,100 cash, either way its gotta be a few hundred cheaper than the Honda.

No comparison IMO

You will soon get sick of the cam lock system on the handles. They always spread and break at the most inconvenient times. I quickly went back to the screw type. I looked at the masport, because I like the 850 (have one on my Rover), but decided on another Rover.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

Yeah, if your using it often it probably is'nt a good system.

One downside I forgot to mention, it seems to have problem getting traction in thatchy buffalo, moreso than my thrashed Victa with bald tyres, it helps if you tilt the mower upwards (front wheels off the ground), perhaps ive set my mower deck lower than the victa or the design of the Masport makes it get stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkmirk View Post
    Ive just purchased a 800AL-SPV (Variable speed)

First impressions? Awesome machine!

It absolutely sh!ts over the Honda in every way (HRU216M2).

#The motor actually sounds likes it working, the honda feels like its idling, needless to say the Masport has heaps of grunt.

#In top speed it would have to be near twice as quick as the Honda, I used the 6th speed setting which is comparable to my old Victa 550 Varispeed, the top speed setting (8) is a power walk/jog (i'm 6"2).

#No blade break!

#It feels lighter, much easier and quicker to maneuver.

#Folding the arms down is quick and easy, one lever on each arm locks it in, the Honda has a screw type.

#I emptied the bag with the mower still running a few times, I lowered the revs and all grass was in the bag with nothing left in the shoot, being winter this probably is'nt saying much, I dont see any safety issues emptying while the motor is still running.

#PRICE, it retails for $1,279 but I rang two mowers and they were both prepared to sell for $1,100 cash, either way its gotta be a few hundred cheaper than the Honda.

No comparison IMO
    Watching this thread with interest.

Already have SP 560 for large backyards that I mulch or use on feral areas that can be side thrown.
    Have the SP 530 Turfmaster that I've had for two yrs. (still going strong with the help of some welding to the catcher lip to strengthen it)
    Plus a push contractor style 4 blade masport for very small joints.This Masport has never faulted.
    All with Honda donks.

But for this coming season I want a 21" SP530 type mower for a back up.
    Ie, instead of getting home and then spending the evening in the shed doing necessary maintenance.
    One can have a spare in 100% working order to change over without hassle to save on evening family time.
    Then do the maintenance when it suits, say on a rainy day.

My mower shop chap just come back from a Victa/BStratton workshop and said the they were told the 530 was now discontinued as unit sales are struggling.

The Masport 21" varied speed mentioned looks the part, especially if the chute is as wide as the 530. Noticed it has a gear cog with internal pawls like the victa. So one will need to carry inexpensive pawls as spares in the shed. This I do for the victa as they wear, but its a one stubby job to replace and very simple to have the gear's rotation running smooth again during a dedicated maintenance time.

Any further feedback on the $1100 machine is welcomed by me and thanks for the info so far "Dirkmirk". Pitty Mr Masport had a barney with honda some time ago, would have preferred a Honda engine.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Watching this thread with interest.

Already have SP 560 for large backyards that I mulch or use on feral areas that can be side thrown.
    Have the SP 530 Turfmaster that I've had for two yrs. (still going strong with the help of some welding to the catcher lip to strengthen it)
    Plus a push contractor style 4 blade masport for very small joints.This Masport has never faulted.
    All with Honda donks.

But for this coming season I want a 21" SP530 type mower for a back up.
    Ie, instead of getting home and then spending the evening in the shed doing necessary maintenance.
    One can have a spare in 100% working order to change over without hassle to save on evening family time.
    Then do the maintenance when it suits, say on a rainy day.

My mower shop chap just come back from a Victa/BStratton workshop and said the they were told the 530 was now discontinued as unit sales are struggling.

The Masport 21" varied speed mentioned looks the part, especially if the chute is as wide as the 530. Noticed it has a gear cog with internal pawls like the victa. So one will need to carry inexpensive pawls as spares in the shed. This I do for the victa as they wear, but its a one stubby job to replace and very simple to have the gear's rotation running smooth again during a dedicated maintenance time.

Any further feedback on the $1100 machine is welcomed by me and thanks for the info so far "Dirkmirk". Pitty Mr Masport had a barney with honda some time ago, would have preferred a Honda engine.
    I noticed the Commercial Toro SP now has a Honda 190cc donk on it.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

Thanks Stump,

Been googling it since your post.
    Cheers Garry

How is the Masport Variable Speed Mower going, have there been any teething problems

Thumbs up Re: Masport Variable speed mower

Thank god there's something better made then a honda mower

Still going good, i've used the Honda again on the weekend which brings up another pro for the Masport I forgot to mention

#The handlebars are tooo low on the Honda, this is what makes it especially hard to manuvere in tight areas.

Nice to hear the Masport is still going well, I wonder how the self propelled will go in dusty conditions. Your correct the handle bar's are to low on the Honda especially when one is 6' 4, however with a bit of heat the handle bars can be lifted up higher.

hope all is going well with the Masport ... have been eyeing these off for some time now , just need to bite the bullet

how is the market for things like replacement blades ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast