Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: thing that make me laugh

Default Re: thing that make me laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Last job for the day was just round the corner from my place. Old Scottish lady. Been doing her lawns for years but she does all the gardening. I occasionally prune some trees and shrubs for her. She is tight with her money and I give her a good deal because she is a pensioner. She had a fall a while back so cant do any of the weeding and other stuff she used to do. She knows my rates but hasn't asked for any extras. I am talking to her and she says to me I have a lad out the back doing some weeding for me. He is just doing it for cash. I say no probs and get ion with the job. See the bloke about 45 buggering around picking up liitle piles of leaves and crap with a small scoop and bannister brush. No other tools other than a a rake and a broom.

Think to myself this bloke must be cheap. He stays away from me so I get my job done and when the old girl is paying me she says she was put on to this bloke by her son as he does weeding for him and a few other ppl. I ask what he is charging and she says $20. I say that a bit cheap for hand weeding and she says I know it hard work but its not $20 an hr its $20 a visit. I ask her how long he has been there and she says 2.5 hrs and he did 3.5 last week for same price. I am gobsmacked. I say to her thats really bloody cheap use him as much as you can. She laughs and says I still want you to do my lawns and pruning though.

I just cant fathom why someone would work for such a measly amount.
    I'll pay him $25. Give him my number. Can give him a full time gig too

does he travel?

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

have thumb, will travel

I almost fell over backwards, when I found this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Happened to my casual JD mower, didn't know until the blade went zooming out the side, easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by BSD View Post
    Happened to my casual JD mower, didn't know until the blade went zooming out the side, easy fix.
    It's a scrap mower I removed from a clean up. It's the wing nut holding the blade in place, that got me.

I should take photos of some of the stuff I see when people ask me to look at their mower. I do a few repairs on the side, cause I like to tinker. A couple of bad ones have been referred to the mower shop or tip. One was where the blade carrier boss was welded to the crankshaft. Don't know how they got in there to weld, but it was a real chook poop looking weld!!!!

I took up an offer for a hipages package earlier this year, I thought I would give it 12 months and see how it goes. I like the option of picking and choosing the work that comes through, and so far have picked up some pretty good jobs. Then you see jobs like the following one posted and you have to have a chuckle at some people's expectations.

"Mow, whippy snip the lawns and maintain the gardens 18 times a year. This will be for a 2 year period based on workmanship. I looking for an hourly rate (around the $30 per hour). If accepted we can meet and discuss the tasks and time required. Applicants must be a sole trader or have an ABN number with all insurances being current."

Needless to say I didn't accept this lead. Funny how some people demand premium service at beer money bob rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt1972 View Post
    I took up an offer for a hipages package earlier this year, I thought I would give it 12 months and see how it goes. I like the option of picking and choosing the work that comes through, and so far have picked up some pretty good jobs. Then you see jobs like the following one posted and you have to have a chuckle at some people's expectations.

"Mow, whippy snip the lawns and maintain the gardens 18 times a year. This will be for a 2 year period based on workmanship. I looking for an hourly rate (around the $30 per hour). If accepted we can meet and discuss the tasks and time required. Applicants must be a sole trader or have an ABN number with all insurances being current."

Needless to say I didn't accept this lead. Funny how some people demand premium service at beer money bob rates.

He wants a sole trader only because if the poor bastard who takes the job damages his BMW/Merc/Audi or pisses him off in any way whatsoever he can sue the pants off them.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    He wants a sole trader only because if the poor bastard who takes the job damages his BMW/Merc/Audi or pisses him off in any way whatsoever he can sue the pants off them.
    Unlikely to have that sort of car in the suburb where the job was posted, but I see your point. The sad thing is that jobs get reposted if there aren't enough inquiries, and this one didn't. Maybe the $0 lead fee meant that a few guys gave it crack. I couldn't be bothered wasting my time.

As I said before the majority of these pages attract skin flints
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    As I said before the majority of these pages attract skin flints
    I've actually picked up some pretty good jobs off it, including one that paid for the initial ad in the first 2 visits and is a fortnightly visit year round (lots of gardens). I've also picked up some well paid once off work ( mainly rubbish removals ). But I agree there's lots of crap too. They've offered regular monthly payment options but I prefer the once off payment and picking and choosing which ones to accept.

An Indian cleaner (Jims cleaning) that refused to clean the outside windows of a property that I was working on today.
    He was really concerned about a ................... blue tongue, thought it was a snake!
    I explained to him it was harmless but I think, he thought, I was having a lend.
    Cheers Fred.

Years ago this may have been posted on the grumpy thread, but theses days it's water off a ducks back. I got a call yesterday afternoon from a lady asking to mow her lawn and how much, very heavy accent, I explained I would have to look at it first and give her a quote. I told her I was getting my kids off the bus first then I would come around and have a look about 4-4:15 (local job 5 minutes away). This time was no good for her and she asked that I come now. After again explaining I was picking my kids up we arranged a quote for this morning at 8am. 5 minutes later she rings again with the same request to come and my her lawn and how much, oblivious to the fact that she just called me. After I explained we had just spoken and arranged a morning visit she seemed embarrassed, apologised and hung up. Pita alert. Needless to say I'm not wasting my time with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    An Indian cleaner (Jims cleaning) that refused to clean the outside windows of a property that I was working on today.
    He was really concerned about a ................... blue tongue, thought it was a snake!
    I explained to him it was harmless but I think, he thought, I was having a lend.
    Cheers Fred.
    I'm always a bit dismayed, with the age of the internet, that some people (this includes migrants, kids and 5th generation Aussies and people across all walks of life) are so ignorant when it comes to trees. animals and nature in general. They just assume it is always going to be there. What a great thing it is to be able to have an encounter with wildlife, saw an Echidna the other day. Made my day. Blue tongues are awesome.

Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast