Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Advice with removing intershaft nut on Cox ride-on

Default Advice with removing intershaft nut on Cox ride-on

Hi, I've bought a used Cox ride-on and it seems to "slip" and has a grinding/chunky noise while going forward. Upon investigation I found that one of the intershaft bearings (the one on the right if looking at the mower from the rear) has been replaced but the one on the left is older looking, clunks up and down and needs replacement. The problem I'm having is getting the intershaft nut off of the end that has the gear on it. Here's a pic of the culprit:

coxnut.jpg

Is this a normal threaded nut or is it reverse thread? Anyone have any advice on how best to get this off? Also, anyone else think that gear looks knackered?

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Advice with removing intershaft nut on Cox ride-on

i dont even know what that is as i dont have a ride on.
    but did you try an impact wrench?

I don't know exactly what it is either, but if that's a chain drive sprocket behind the nut, well it's knackered.
    Does the clunk at the bearing come from inside the bearing or between the bearing & shaft because there looks to be a gap there. If so the shaft may be worn or it's the wrong bearing.
    If you can see any of the thread at the end of the shaft at all you should be able to work out if it's left hand or right hand thread. If not, try both ways carefully. I'd guess Left hand thread.
    If you can't undo the nut because the shaft wants to turn too, grab onto that worn sprocket with a set of stilsons as i'd imagine it would be splined onto the shaft.

Hope that helps.

which model no. is it? There's a bit of variation amongst the cox's over the years - but that gear drive does look worn IF thats what it is

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

I was a bit aggressive with my cropping and resizing of the pic I posted so here's a bigger one that hopefully shows a bit more:

coxnut2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    i dont even know what that is as i dont have a ride on
    but did you try an impact wrench?
    Hi Chris B, thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately I don't have access to an impact wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    I don't know exactly what it is either, but if that's a chain drive sprocket behind the nut, well it's knackered.
    Does the clunk at the bearing come from inside the bearing or between the bearing & shaft because there looks to be a gap there. If so the shaft may be worn or it's the wrong bearing.
    If you can see any of the thread at the end of the shaft at all you should be able to work out if it's left hand or right hand thread. If not, try both ways carefully. I'd guess Left hand thread.
    If you can't undo the nut because the shaft wants to turn too, grab onto that worn sprocket with a set of stilsons as i'd imagine it would be splined onto the shaft.

Hope that helps.
    Hi edbeek, that is indeed the chain drive sprocket behind the nut. I think I'll be replacing it when I get the nut off. Thanks for the stilson suggestion, I hadn't thought of using the sprocket to hold the shaft in place. I just went out and jiggled the shaft again and I think I see what you mean about the gap. It looks like either the shaft is worn or the bearing is incorrect. I already have a new bearing to put in it here so I'll have a look when it's all apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    which model no. is it? There's a bit of variation amongst the cox's over the years - but that gear drive does look worn IF thats what it is
    Hi Redeye, it is Cox Stockman 10.5hp, model no. 20E9(4?). Its hard to read the last digit on the placard but it looks like a 4.

you'll find your manual here http://coxmowers.rtrk.com.au/?scid=1..._id=8891524757 should, hopefully, show you whats what

edit - bloody crap links, go into "product support", then "operation manuals"

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

G'day Jaffa, Are you sure the clunking is not the chain sliding of over the sprocket? As the others said it's pretty rooted. As edbeek suggested there should not be a gap. When you get the nut off try not to hit the shaft out with a hammer because you wont get the nut back on if you damage the thread. I have a old cox stocky in the shed i'll go and have a look if that gap has a spacer and let you know mate...

I just had a look and there is a spacer. I will take a photo sometime tomorrow for you Jaffa. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by danz View Post
    I just had a look and there is a spacer. I will take a photo sometime tomorrow for you Jaffa. I hope this helps.
    Hi danz, I think a picture would help because I can't see a where a spacer could go in there.

Redeye, thanks for the link, that's very helpful.

Fortunately I saw my neighbour today and asked if he might have a rattle gun to help get that nut off and he did! Now the nut is removed (normal threaded btw) and I've picked up a new sprocket but have come to the conclusion that my gear puller just won't work on getting the old sprocket off. The saga continues...

what about a slide hammer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY93VZ-VO2Q

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...JqiWiQeL3I39BQ

you can make one if youve got a welder etc

Hi Jaffa. Sorry I have not posted a pic, I actually forgot all about but have written a note so I dont forget tomorrow lol. I didn't realize the sprocket and spacer I were thinking about are actually one piece by the look of it. http://www.outdoorking.com/index.php...acturers_id=49 Is the shaft sticking out further than it should be? Does it look ok on the other side?

I think you maybe missing a spacer on each side. Check out the pics and see if it looks the same mate, oh i have a different nut on mine because the older one was stripped.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Danz - thanks for the images, but your mower doesn't appear to be exactly like mine.

Sorry for the late update, been busy. Had to buy a new gear puller to get the sprocket off, was worth the $12! I called and talked to a very helpful mechanic in Ballarat, who explained the issue perfectly. He said when the lock screws on the bearings come loose, the intershaft spins in the bearing instead of the bearings spinning, and wears a groove into the intershaft. The lock screws were loose when I went to undo them today, so that explains the gap!

I've ordered a new intershaft for only $44 from Johnson Caravans in Maryborough (very helpful and friendly people too). Thanks for all the help so far!

Don't be suprised if it is a modified one as Cox had a problem with these shafts early in their saga. I had to replace the same shaft, bearings and gear on my Cox Orion, no problem since then. Just check all is tight every time you change the oil.

Hi, back to update with success!

I got the new intershaft installed and it's a goer! Only took it around for a quick spin but it was getting dark. Going to try for a full cut tomorrow. Took a picture of the shaft wear issue...

coxintershaft.jpg

The lock screws on the old shaft's bearing had come loose and the shaft itself was spinning within the bearing, causing an amazing amount of wear.

Thanks to everybody for the help!