Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda 216 M2 blade brake question

Default Re: Honda 216 M2 blade brake question

Results in removing or tampering may go either way as we don't know.
    As most of all these machines are imports and with EU,UK and USA safe guards,as where the Australian machines like Victa and Superswift have no cut off devices fitted to any machines re mowers.The question really needs to be answered by a lawyer as we just use the machines and doing guesstimations on the subject

It's the same as any guard or fail safe. If it is tampered with or removed it deems the machine unsafe as to how it should be. Potentially leaving you culpable. You can NOT remove a guard or failsafe legally. If something goes wrong, the governing body will look for ANY reason to blame you ...and they will find any weak points in your defence.
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    Results in removing or tampering may go either way as we don't know.
    As most of all these machines are imports and with EU,UK and USA safe guards,as where the Australian machines like Victa and Superswift have no cut off devices fitted to any machines re mowers.The question really needs to be answered by a lawyer as we just use the machines and doing guesstimations on the subject
    If people want to let lawyers take their money they probably will until you have none left!
    Got to have deep pockets if you want to play the legal system. It's not necessarily who is right! It can be who can hang in there the longest!!!!

Tip fwiw, if you use the whippy without the guard and one day someone loses an eye and an investigation gets underway I suggest you get that guard on asap and get it real dirty very fast. And if you get sued make sure all your assets are not in your name well before the accident, otherwise intent to conceal assets after the event wont stand up. Just saying. BD,

the guard on a whippy is there to protect the operator - no one else

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    I have fitted a guard for the first time in 30 years and i can say it doesn't do that much protecting me as i still get hit sometimes

Yes, and no. ..............

I'd argue it doesn't even do that. It obstructs the view so that you cannot see what you are doing therefore increasing the risk of hitting a projectile.

It's designed to protect the manufacturer. Some of the safety gaurds are so big and so obstructive its absolutely ridiculous.

And as far as getting in to trouble goes. If you knock someones eye out and you have the gaurd on it'll still come down to who has the best lawyer and the judge on their side.

These trimmers were never designed to be tilted and used as a edger,they designed other machines to do that.
    I have never seen a manufacturers promotion video showing it being tilted and used as a edger

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I'd argue it doesn't even do that. It obstructs the view so that you cannot see what you are doing therefore increasing the risk of hitting a projectile.

It's designed to protect the manufacturer. Some of the safety gaurds are so big and so obstructive its absolutely ridiculous.

And as far as getting in to trouble goes. If you knock someones eye out and you have the gaurd on it'll still come down to who has the best lawyer and the judge on their side.

If you have the correct insurance and the correct guard not tampered with it may help a little without workcover not being on your case also. Let the insurance lawyers fight it out. Pay your $500 excess! Thanks Indy

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    These trimmers were never designed to be tilted and used as a edger,they designed other machines to do that.
    I have never seen a manufacturers promotion video showing it being tilted and used as a edger
    Yes, that's true. Also some gaurds are worse than others in obstructing vision. The ones I'm talking about are the huge poorrly designed ones. Worth taking it into consideration when deciding on a trimmer.

Hoping to get some help before ringing the mechanic. My Honda 216M2 is hunting for fuel. It starts ok. Goes ok on full throttle but won't idle. As soon as the revs are dropped from full to half it stalls. I can still mow with it but would rather try and eliminate any simple causes. Any idea on what to check? Is there a fuel filter in these mowers although in my experience fuel filters have rarely ever been the cause of issues. Wasn't that long ago it was serviced although I normally do me own service unless something needs doing that I can't do.

Assuming you are running 91 octane
    What i'd do is run it on just one job without air filter and see if the problem goes away

Sounds like a bit of dirt in carby

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Need to clean the carby

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast