Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hustler Fastrak

Default Re: Hustler Fastrak

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Make yourself up an Operator Controlled Discharge Chute. OCDC. Much easier to deal with clippings around windows, cars etc. You have the hinge already, just need a bit of checker plate, some angle iron and some rope or chain.
    How would this go with insurance etc. If you had an incident where you made a claim would they knock you back because the deflector shute was home made?

looks the goods david. would you use it for slash jobs? i just heard they are realy tough???
    "Time trial. Start as fast as possible, finish as fast as possible and hope it is fast enough,"

Has anyone compared them to the Walkers is one better than the other or r they both good.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilG View Post
    How would this go with insurance etc. If you had an incident where you made a claim would they knock you back because the deflector shute was home made?
    Think the deflector shute might prevent you making any insurance claims,Been wanting to make something like it for my ZTR,You can buy the same type of thing but much cheaper to make your own.

Hi Jayk, yes I have used for a couple of slashing jobs. This one was all kikuyu and had not been mown for 12 months, I had to cut twice, once up at 4" then next at 2", lots of grass on ground. I did take catcher unit off for this. I used whipper snipper with blade around fenceline then snipped it.
    I am in process of making up a mulching plug, that is like a deflector shute. I will change blades to mulching blades and use the plug, if grass gets too wet and thick I can then open up to side throw. See what happens if it works great if not what the heck you don't know until you try.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Hi Jayk, yes I have used for a couple of slashing jobs. This one was all kikuyu and had not been mown for 12 months, I had to cut twice, once up at 4" then next at 2", lots of grass on ground. I did take catcher unit off for this. I used whipper snipper with blade around fenceline then snipped it.
    I am in process of making up a mulching plug, that is like a deflector shute. I will change blades to mulching blades and use the plug, if grass gets too wet and thick I can then open up to side throw. See what happens if it works great if not what the heck you don't know until you try.
    gee the grass must grow slowly where you are i got asked to do a quote 2 weeks ago and the person said it was only mown 6 weeks ago and it was about that high
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

did u collect any grass?
    looks like it mulched it up really well if you didnt

looks like it did a good job david. often with ky it will only go that high as it will fall over. the biggest problem with it is the root system growing above soil level.
    "Time trial. Start as fast as possible, finish as fast as possible and hope it is fast enough,"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayk View Post
    the biggest problem with it is the root system growing above soil level.
    x 2!! !!!!!

No I just used the mulcher blades on the Hustler. I am going to keep them on to as they have a higher lift than standard blades might help clear the deck in the wet grass. Don't know what they will do with the catcher but will soon find out.
    Yes lots of big thick runners above ground, lawn will need at least 6 months to become a real lawn again.

I had a Fastrak 52 inch. It was a great machine, very reliable but compared to my 60 inch New Holland ZTR it was a bone shaker and S-L-O-W. But still a good machine, great for residential lawns. It had a hard life but now it is in retirement at my brothers 3 acre property. Yes, definitely make yourself an O.C.D.C. I have one on my New Holland and I have it set up in such a way that it doesn't throw grass out the side any further than the width of cut, (i.e. 60 inches) so if you are in long grass it prevents you from throwing clippings over un-cut grass. I do a lot of fenced sites and what I do is go around the inside of the fence clock wise (trim cut) then go around anti-clockwise, then I can snip and poison the fence line without having to rake grass clippings off the base of the fence first, which is what I did when I first started. Poison on grass clippings doesn't work.

You live and learn.
    Everybody is entitled to MY opinion

I have been playing around with the Hustler and catcher system. Using the ASP Mulching blades and spraying under the deck before I start mowing with WD40, I can mow wet grass very well, just have to be aware when the catcher is getting full as the bags are bloody heavy with wet grass. With out catcher on I spray under the deck with WD40 and end of job all have to do is stop blades, start again and the deck is clear. No WD40 and I have to scrap under deck at end of day, only with wet grass. Dry grass is fine, the ASP blades throw the grass out further than the Hustler blades. The ASP blades are also thicker and cheaper than Hustler blades.

2 out of 3 blades I used to get from ASP were completely unbalanced. You should check them before use. Although, there is only one gadget that will give a true reading on it. Thats the Magnamatic balancer. (edit, Dean has a similar balancer in his shop)
    I wont (or probably wont) buy ASP blades again! They are tough enough but I need to take so much off just to get them balanced its not funny! If they cant deliver quality, balanced blades (2 out of 3 are cr@p) then Im not buying any more. Ive spent sh!t load of coin with that mob over the years. No more! That goes for the Honda pushy blades as well. One word (bar the number)... 20% Bent! And the nuts are soft as poo. Just be aware, ASP are cheap but they dont stack up against the name brands.

Try a set of Oregon G6 blades. Still need to check balance but no where near as bad as ASP.

WD40 under deck, Im not a believer! Ive done it and saw no improvement. That stuff gets worn off within a few minutes!
    Theres better stuff called Fluid Film. Even they don't say it works under the deck. People have been searching for an under deck treatment for years. Its amazing what lengths and expense some will go to. I haven't heard or seen the answer yet.

Sorry mate. Dont mean to be a negative azzhole. I am, but I dont mean to come across like it!

In the states there is alote of that under deck stuff if it works i dont know....as a sp Honda operate never had a problem with asp blades unless you hit a solid object any thing will bend for the price deleved to my door I'm cool with em 40highlift $72.75....Bolt kit $3.50 for a set of 2 i got 8 sets so $21.00 plus postage that's $114 to ur door hassle free bying in bulk.... can some get a price on what Honda would charge i know a bold and blade it two blade two bold is like $20.... And back in the day wen i bought Honda blade box it was $50....so can i get a price check on I'll 4....lol

But fare enuff i got 3 free blades with the kubota that are asp will get balinser and see what the deal is don't wanna fark spindles....
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

Imp, the last lot of Honda blades I got from ASP, 10 sets I believe, 1 in 5 were bent and unusable. (Im sure I read on here that others have had the same problem) Thats throwing money away. To send back would cost postage.
    I should mention that I dont use the Honda bugger all so buying original blades isnt a big deal. Im still sifting through the good and bad ASP's so will be a while till I need to buy more. The nuts n bolts are another thing to look at. The last lot I had they would strip way to easily. Seem to be made of really soft steel. Maybe thats changed, I dont know.
    If I were using a lot of blades maybe I would still get ASP, but not for the ride on.

Imp, the juries still out on whether unbalanced blades actually cause any damage. I personally think it would lesson the potential but its also the vibrations going through the deck and machine. ie Comfort and noise.
    ASP blades (the ones I was getting anyway) were low to med low lift blades. Thats fine in normal length grass but a higher lift blade is better. See if you can match up some Oregon G6 blades or Fusion blades. They arent cheap but seem to be working pretty well for me generally. They have a hardened area under the cutting edge which means they hold and edge longer. A little less sharpening.

Where do you live Imp? I can check straightness, sharpen and balance blades for a about $5/blade if they arent too bad. Or if you want to just check out a balancer and see what your blades are like you could come around and we can check them out if you want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast