Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Starting new business which way to go

Default Starting new business which way to go

Hi as some of you may know i am looking at getting back into lawn mowing and I'm trying to work out which way to go whether it be Indy or Jim's. I use to have my own business about 4yrs ago it was quite successful i had a lot of high end customers and really enjoyed it.But since then i have moved and have a small family and more mouths to feed.
    I'm trying to see which one to go for as they both have there own features and benefits. I understand the work and enjoy it hence why i want to get back into it.

As for saying you don't own your clients been a Jim's i don't think you can say that because you never do they do what they like either way.

I would just like to know what people think so i can make a decision that i think will work for me because i do think there is ex Jim's, current Jim's and big Indy's on here.

I really don't want this to become a bashing thread either way so please be fair

Default Re: Starting new business which way to go

Luke, I would highly recommend you call Dean after Easter and talk to him. We did and he is so honest, upfront and helpful. You will get far more helpful information from a chat with him that you can in here. It WILL turn ugly despite your request.
    ~ Joanne ~

the trolls are the problem here,

hard to get a genuine answer out of some

Yeah i will be giving him a ring and talking to him about it thanks Joanna

There's always hope it doesn't turn ugly i guess

seriously why dont you give it a go indy-style.

youve got experience doping it before, you know the ins and outs of runing a business, dealing with customers etc.

you can always join a franchise later if you cant make enuf by yourself/see the advantage.

some guys build up a run within 6 months then are flat out from then on. be a shame to pay $30k and find your no better off.

but im indy, and never been franchise, so im biased, lol.

but nothing lost if you give it a go

There is a little indy run for sale hes dreaming on the price so i will prob make a offer and see what he says it my get ugly but he is dreaming on the price

Quote Originally Posted by happymowin View Post
    seriously why dont you give it a go indy-style.

youve got experience doping it before, you know the ins and outs of runing a business, dealing with customers etc.

you can always join a franchise later if you cant make enuf by yourself/see the advantage.

some guys build up a run within 6 months then are flat out from then on. be a shame to pay $30k and find your no better off.

but im indy, and never been franchise, so im biased, lol.

but nothing lost if you give it a go
    What Happy said x 2 except I had a franchise and now am an Indi and by far better off.. The only reason I went for a franchise in the first place was I had no experience and looking back that was all I got out of it, it was extremly hard making ends meet, then when I got out even though I had doubled my run didn't come out with much.. Now I have experience and my own business there is no comparison I am way better off and happy as a woman with a credit card..

All the best on your decission making
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

AJD your right, I used to be a sub contractor to a courier company had my own truck cost me more money to do it this way than start fresh, wheni left I had nothing except for 100 grand truck I couldn't offord any more, all I got out of it was experience on how to run a business and now I'm an Indy NO looking back, the money u pay in fees per month is better in your pocket or even spend advertising yourself, making your own decisions and not putting up with ppl in the background telling you what to do

As Joanne said speak to Dean, If I had known about Dean before hand I most likely wouldn't have gone Franchise. But if you are thinking Franchise I would talk to as many Franchisee around your area as you can, some will give you honest answers others will not. I know alot of franchisee that have done well. I agree with Happy & AJD. I joined Jim's for the same reason AJD did had no experience in running a business I did learn alot from Jim's some good some not so good. If you are looking at buying a split from one of the Jim's take care sometimes these clients are mostly PITA clients.

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cmcfeeters View Post
    As Joanne said speak to Dean, If I had known about Dean before hand I most likely wouldn't have gone Franchise. But if you are thinking Franchise I would talk to as many Franchisee around your area as you can, some will give you honest answers others will not. I know alot of franchisee that have done well. I agree with Happy & AJD. I joined Jim's for the same reason AJD did had no experience in running a business I did learn alot from Jim's some good some not so good. If you are looking at buying a split from one of the Jim's take care sometimes these clients are mostly PITA clients.
    Are you still apart of jims?

Simmo.

No I am not, I have not been a jim for 5years

$10 a lead from Jims on top of your monthly fees after your buy in figure. You could get one a hell of a Google Adwords campaign for that money and switch it off when you don't need anymore leads. Just saying.

it is your choice to go left or right....
    for independent you need to work other job before you find some customer to start part time. you don't need to spend big money for customer. but you will make slowly good money and find very good customer.

I do most of my advertising in the local paper and when I am flat out I pull the ad out for a couple of weeks. no use paying for something you don't need

I don't know if a franchise is better or not. All I can say is, I put an add in the local paper, dropped about a thousand flyers and have never looked back.
    I do 4/6 jobs a day(summer). I could do a lot more if I needed, or wanted to, as the work keeps coming. I started out with an old Victa mower and bought better
    when I could afford it. I have 70 or so regular clients, some good, some not so good, and I don't undersell myself.

At first I went cheap to get the work(not knowing any better) then
    after a while(from reading info on here) realised that I needn't go cheap. I have since set my sights on $1 a minute. I tell new clients minimum is $40 just to show up. But that $40 will get
    some whole yards done in Northlakes, but its the same if its just the front footpath. I hope this helps.

Brad.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast