Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Echo 50:1 two stroke oil

Default Echo 50:1 two stroke oil

Gday,
    I have done a search on the site about this but didnt turn anything up.

Im interested in the Echo 50:1 (or any other brand) 2 stroke oil, that can be mixed at a lower ratio than 25:1, to make it last longer & make a little step for the environment.

Can you only use, for example the echo 50:1 in echo machines that are designed for 50:1, or does it mean that you can use it at 50:1 in machines from any other brand that normally take 25:1?

Do you know what im getting at??, is this oil so special that it only needs half as much to protect any machine that its used in?

cheers

Default Re: Echo 50:1 two stroke oil

Mate pretty sure it's all castrol oil with the machines makers brand label. I use Stihl oil at 50:1 (which is made by castrol) in all my 2 strokes....even the 30 year old victa mower and the only issue I have is that they don't blow smoke . Have used Husqvarna oil before too which is exactly the same.....Most mechanics I've spoken to say it won't hurt to put a bit more than 50:1 in though. I just put a bit over 100mL per 5L. All good so far. Just my opinion though.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Most 2 stroke oil is synthetic oil now days and you can run old 2 strokes on it at about 32:1 to 50:1. I run all my 2 strokes on 50:1 and have been for a few years now, no problems so far. As fairdinkum said just add a little bit more oil if you are worried.

Yep. Same here Fairdinkum. I think most brand name 2 strokes run @ 50:1 on the castrol oil.
    Only my big Husky chainsaw says to run it @ 33:1 with Husky/Castrol oil, but the smaller saws run at 50:1.

I see some of the China 2 strokes say 25:1 though.

''opti 2'' @ 100:1

not synthetic, no smoke

NEVER HAD ENGINE DAMAGE IN 20 YEARS

I think they used to double the manufacturer's warranty if you used their product in the engine from new

but don't quote me ...

i use castrol/ echo at 50 :1 too. often you will clag ur exhuaust if you go to concentrated.
    "Time trial. Start as fast as possible, finish as fast as possible and hope it is fast enough,"

For the good gear that is used professionally, 50:1 is fine, perfect and recommended by the manufacturer. 50:1 is all that quality machinery requires, usually.

For anyone using the low cost imports then 25:1 is the go (RTFM). Running the first tank at a slightly higher ratio seems to be beneficial in the long term, albeit smoky on that day. The models being sent here are still based on older technology, or are not as well machined, designed or engineered as the Japanese, German or other premium brand equipment. Yes, some of those top brands are made in China too, but to a different standard and price point.

Cheers - GardenGuy.
    My Garden Guy - www.mygardenguy.com.au. Visit us at Facebook too! Visit our Blog for seasonal updates and hints about what your garden needs now.
    Servicing Sydney's North Shore from Chatswood to Cowan. Lawn mowing, gardening services, clean-ups and more.

If you need lawn mowing and garden services, you need an ILMCOA member. Check the directory for someone local to you.

Very Helpful Member

only use 2 stroke mixed at 50:1 if using a brand name :ie shindy,husky,stihl or if it is rated as meeting or exceeding JASO FD and/or iso legd standards these are the oils designed to be used at 50:1 note the last bottle of shiny i brought doesn't have a grading listed on the bottle i think they may be being sneaky and don't want people looking for alternatives but one of the older bottles had that it met or exceeded jaso fc and iso-legd note this was when fc was the highest jaso rating
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Very Helpful Member

also if you are going to use oil at 25/32:1 in your cheaper machinery i would suggest you use cheaper oil as i think these brands run on the belief that if your only willing to buy cheap machinery then you will only buy the cheap oil therefore they tell you a rating based on the cheap oil Shindaiwa used to state in their manual that if you used any oil besides shindaiwa 1 then it was to be mixed at 25:1
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you