Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Advise on Exemption Notice - Work Cover Act

Default Advise on Exemption Notice - Work Cover Act

Whilst completing paperwork for an Owners Corporation Management Co. (with the hope of obtaining some maintenance work through them), one of the questions is whether you are an exempt employer under the Work Cover Act. As a sole trader who has just started his own business, I presume that I would be exempt and hence, apparently need to supply an Exemption Notice. Does anyone know what this is and how I would obtain one. I know I am probably just being thick!!! but just thought you guys would be able to clarify this position quickly. Thanks in anticipation for your help.

Default Re: Advise on Exemption Notice - Work Cover Act

do you have any employees?
    you are not your own employee so dont need workcover if just you

Exempt employers
    Employers who pay $7,500 or less in annual wages are not required to hold a policy of insurance unless they employ an apprentice or trainee, or are part of a group for premium purposes.

Exempt employers are 'deemed' to hold a policy and have the same obligations as non-exempt employers to provide assistance with injury management and return to work.

Immediately an exempt employer becomes aware that their wages are likely to exceed $7500 they must take out a workers compensation policy by contacting a WorkCover Scheme Agent. This policy will run for 12 months from 4.00 pm on the day that the employer contacts the Scheme Agent.

http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/insu...xemptemployers
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

I don't know where IanC is, but in Qld it's different to the NSW requirements AJD posted.
    "If you have a business in Queensland and employ workers, you are required to insure them against workplace accidents with WorkCover Queensland (s48, Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003).

You cannot pay any of your own claim costs in Queensland.

There is no threshold that you must reach before insuring in Queensland. If anyone you employ meets the definition of a worker, then you must insure them within five days of commencing employment. Penalties may apply if you insure them any later than this."

But I think the question IanC is asking is:
    Quote Originally Posted by IanC View Post
    , I presume that I would be exempt and hence, apparently need to supply an Exemption Notice. Does anyone know what this is and how I would obtain one.
    I've got no idea.

id be ringing work cover in your state, not asking a bunch of amateurs like us, mate

what someone tells you here, while in good faith, may be wrong, so with stuff like that youre best going to the horses mouth

trying to say this positively, mind you, lol

cheers

As people cannot employ themselves, a sole trader is not required to pay WorkSafe Insurance (you're in Victoria if I remember rightly).

Your answer should be Yes and if there is space to elaborate just write Sole Trader only. You should not need an exemption notice.

In this instance, the Management company may insist, in the absence of WorkCover that you provide them with a certificate of currency for income protection or sickness and accident insurance. If you don't have any, contact Dean at Indy.

If you were a sole employee of your own pty ltd company then you would need to have workcover

see here http://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/wps/w...ur-obligations
    ~ Joanne ~

In Qld, you are exempt if you are sole trader, and in the event you are a Pty Company, if you are a director, you are also exempt. Even though as a director, you are an employee for the purposes of taxation etc, directors are exempt - but obviously advisable to have personal injury / accident insurance cover.

Just google your state worcover site, and you should be able to determine which category you fall into - otherwise as previously advised - give them a bell.