Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with quoting

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Default Re: Help with quoting

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    If you're so passionate about the topic Happy you do some research for a change and find the legislation, or not....

Some of us try to post useful info that works for the betterment of this industry and ILMCOA's members and makes what we do safer and more professional for our clientelle.
    Gee Paul, bit harsh!

he said there is no requirements and your the one claiming everyone needs to hold a certificate (or training). Maybe you should do the research!

Hate to break it to you Paul but your previous post isn't helpful and infact spiteful towards Happymowin and many other indy's including myself... all because you would like the laws to be different. Well reality check, there not... so stop attacking everyone who has different views to you and operating within the law.

Its comments like these that makes me think (and i assume many others also)why should i join up as a full paying member and be associated to this... Is there really a benefit?

Anyway, have fun putting knowledgable and experienced operaters down... your doing a great service for the industry!

Simmo.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Every second guy is running around with a chainsaw and doing work he probably shouldn't be.

There are a number of levels of chainsaw courses available in Qld - most costing from $700 to $1000 per level for a day's instruction.

Depending on your experience there is the possibilty of Recognition of Prior Learning also.

The main one needed for what we do is this:

FPI20105 – CERTIFICATE II IN FOREST GROWING AND MANAGEAGEMENT IN QLD
    FPICOT2204A – MAINTAIN CHAINSAWS IN QLD
    FPICOT2221A – TRIM AND CROSS CUT FELLED TREES IN QLD
    FPIFGM2208A – FALL TREES MANUALLY (BASIC) IN QLD

http://www.stevesmith.com.au/index.html
    thanks paul for the info...my heart sang when someone mentioned a ticket in qld....grew up on a farm and have been round them most of my life...BUT STILL NEVER TURN MY BACK ON ONE!!! ive seen some horrible love bitesfrom them....

Its comments like these that makes me think (and i assume many others also)why should i join up as a full paying member and be associated to this... Is there really a benefit?

Cos than you can measure how big each others "chainsaw" is in the secert garden....hehehheh cheer up fellas...

Quote Originally Posted by 355 tonner View Post

Cos than you can measure how big each others "chainsaw" is in the secert garden....hehehheh cheer up fellas...
    lol

All happy here

Simmo.

PM to you Simmo to continue the conversation.

One other thing I will say here though is don't re-word or re-phrase things I've written to try and gain some sort of advantage or moral superiority. If you want to quote me on something, well and good, but make sure it's what I've actually written in a post and not something you're reading from between the lines. Secondly speak for yourself; If anyone else has an issue I'm always willing to converse via PM with anyone who may want to discuss anything I write. Robust, healthy discussion can be a good thing if it doesn't veer off-track as so often happens here.

I'm passionate about this industry and I will always speak factually, plainly and to the point.

No problem Paul,

Your previous post was unneccessary, but I expected that. I can only assume that you just don't get it or your simply taking the p1ss.

YOUR QUOTE - "Some of us try to post useful info that works for the betterment of this industry and ILMCOA's members"

with comments like that your creating a Us Vs them forum... and who is actually being morally superior? me?

I would also like to advise that everyone on the forum is passionate about this Industry (as most have there own business and also invest their time, knowlege and experience on here)... unfortunately, just not all with your views.

sent a replied PM 30 mins ago.

Simmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Simmo View Post

Your previous post was unneccessary, but I expected that.
    Now see, this is what I consider antagonistic

Quote Originally Posted by Simmo View Post
    YOUR QUOTE - "Some of us try to post useful info that works for the betterment of this industry and ILMCOA's members"

with comments like that your creating a Us Vs them forum... and who is actually being morally superior? me?
    Okay badly worded by me and again don't read too far between the lines Simmo. This comment was for Happy, who since day one, seems to have a habit of trying to undermine nearly everything some people write, without providing much information of benefit himself. You have on the odd occasion chipped in with some good stuff though mate. (*** Genuine comment alert - no antagonism, malice etc etc intended or implied ***)

Have sent a PM back to you Simmo and I think we're on a bit better level of understanding now.

paul,

i always wonder if the G in your name stands for GRUMPY

Back on track, thanks for that link Mrs HMS, I looked on the NSW workcover site but could only find chainsaw user guides & case studies. But Im curious as to what "should" means....it is said in nearly every sentence in the document. Does it mean "Should as in they HAVE to", or "Should as in they should really, but not required under legislation"?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    the day that we need a ticket/licence/certificate or wateva to cut up fallen branches with a chainsaw that anyone can buy from big w for $88 will be a sad day
    I thoroughly agree mate (even tho' i do hold arb' & tree surgery cert's).
    It would be like regulating against Owner Builder's even tho' they are capable of building, & even tho' they construct a house within the Australian Standards & Building Codes of Australia).

cheers

If you are confident using a chainsaw for pruning or cutting down small trees, then go for it. I know the Indy insurance covers you up to a certain height. If you have staff who don't have a chainsaw ticket, then don't let them touch the saw or you may have your arse handed to you if there is an accident.

If you have something big that needs to be worked on, leave it to the experts or it may come back to bite you financially when it lands on someones roof, or with a serious injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodchip View Post
    Does it mean "Should as in they HAVE to", or "Should as in they should really, but not required under legislation"?
    If required under legislation, they would say MUST. Should indicates Best Practice only, not mandatory requirement.
    ~ Joanne ~

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    If you are confident using a chainsaw for pruning or cutting down small trees, then go for it. I know the Indy insurance covers you up to a certain height. If you have staff who don't have a chainsaw ticket, then don't let them touch the saw or you may have your arse handed to you if there is an accident.

If you have something big that needs to be worked on, leave it to the experts or it may come back to bite you financially when it lands on someones roof, or with a serious injury.
    I agree !
    Small trees in safe areas no problem to do yourself. Any tree higher than say 4m and or near house's, fences etc I would get a pro in. Even just get them to drop it and you can deal with removal yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodchip View Post
    Back on track, thanks for that link Mrs HMS, I looked on the NSW workcover site but could only find chainsaw user guides & case studies. But Im curious as to what "should" means....it is said in nearly every sentence in the document. Does it mean "Should as in they HAVE to", or "Should as in they should really, but not required under legislation"?
    "Should" is a subjunctive construction, indicating that there is an element of uncertainty, speculation, wish or fantasy in the thing being suggested.

Gotta love google heheh

Quote Originally Posted by Beaj View Post
    "Should" is a subjunctive construction, indicating that there is an element of uncertainty, speculation, wish or fantasy in the thing being suggested.

Gotta love google heheh
    I should have known the tree was going to fall the other way, I now wish I knew what I was doing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123