Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Tennis Leg - not a joke.

Default Tennis Leg - not a joke.

Mowies beware
    Most at risk are men in thier 40's with good muscle mass.
    Itt'l sit ya on ya bum for a week or two.
    I did it playing Nerf wars with the kids, others do it pushing a car or heavy object (barrow, ride on that's busted etc) or just doing a sprint start.
    Basically if you haven't done warm ups or stretches (yeah c'mon - who does that, unless they wear lycra) and move quickly the tendon in the calf of the leg goes "bang", and you look around to see who shot you in the back of the leg with a golf ball.
    It doesn't hurt that bad, but you won't be able to walk on it. Take it serious and do the R.I.C.E. trick and you'll mend up pretty quick.
    Play hero and pretend you're fine, and you'll be buggered for a good season.

Tennis Leg or "Plantaris"
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

Default Re: Tennis Leg - not a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfa Brayne View Post
    Mowies beware
    Most at risk are men in thier 40's with good muscle mass.
    Itt'l sit ya on ya bum for a week or two.
    I did it playing Nerf wars with the kids, others do it pushing a car or heavy object (barrow, ride on that's busted etc) or just doing a sprint start.
    Basically if you haven't done warm ups or stretches (yeah c'mon - who does that, unless they wear lycra) and move quickly the tendon in the calf of the leg goes "bang", and you look around to see who shot you in the back of the leg with a golf ball.
    It doesn't hurt that bad, but you won't be able to walk on it. Take it serious and do the R.I.C.E. trick and you'll mend up pretty quick.
    Play hero and pretend you're fine, and you'll be buggered for a good season.

Tennis Leg or "Plantaris"
    I did a calf muscle during one winter when I tried to sprint off quickly from my offsider joking around, only to pull up with my offsider pissing himself!

About stretching well now. Should be in that OH&S part.

I often try to do some back and lower body stretches during/after 1st few mows. I get slack with it during warmer months but as it gets cooler I often work it in to my early schedule.

Often clients come out to a look of surprise with me on my back doing some lower back stretches

I had cronic tendonisis in my archillies tendant (anyone had that?) that took 5 years to come good I wouldnt wish that on anyone...
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

Can't say i've had any experience with tennis leg, but i've had a bad experience with tennis balls when stepping over a low fence

I had a Bakers cyst about 4-5 years ago, wrongly diagnosed by a punjab doctor, spent 2 months on crutches in considerable pain

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69