Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tackling waist height grass?

Default tackling waist height grass?

Hi all,

I have just picked-up a one off job for tomorrow... the lady said the size of the yard is about 7x7 (its a townhouse) and the grass is about waist height... she wanted to know a price i said i would have to inspect 1st, but she wanted a ball park figure... so i told her $80 cause the grass is waist height, i also said this price might change upon inspection tomorrow.

Anyway, how do i tackle waist height grass? do i put my mower on its highest setting? do i whip it 1st (i dont have a brush-cutter attachment, just trim)?

if anyone can give me some ideas it would be much appreciated... this is my 4th lawn and 1st with crazy long grass!

Regards
    Ben

Default Re: tackling waist height grass?

Mate i love Tackling long grass, They are good money earners and you can make them turn out a treat depending on how much the customer can offord. But basically there are many ways to go about it depending on what gear you have.
    Myself, i run Big bob through it first then whipper snipp, then mow it all up with the catcher...

if all u have is a mower, then mowing at highest setting without the catcher, then whipper snipp then mow up with the catcher, I always whipper snip after i have slashed it because that way your not fighting with the grass whilst whipper snipping

if you've got heavy enough cord, whippy it first (2.7mm min), otherwise mower on highest setting, perhaps with the front tilted back so you can push it easier - make sure you quote enough to cover tipping if its required

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

personally i would mow at top height then mow at finish height

some guys whip then rake, then mow top then mow finish

some put a sheep on it first.

youll get 100 answers, good luck

Depending on your whippie, I'd trim off as much as it can do reasonably quickly. Rake and remove clippings then probably mow/catch at high level then mow again at finish level. If you can get it down to a reasonable height with the whippie, you might only have to mow once.

dont worry about the blade, use cord 2.5mm or bigger if your whippy can handle it. you dont know whats in the grass so best to be safe.
    Independent and i know it

i will be taking my bushranger L31 whippy & my rover regal 18" pushie.

Thanks for the tips guys, i will work out what is best when i get there. i know the tip around me charges $49 for a load... so maybe $80 is 2 cheap?

Iam wanting feral lawns know sinice geting the ride on call 63 the feral lawn expert....

Run throw with ride on rake up and fishning up with the pushie....
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Depending on your whippie, I'd trim off as much as it can do reasonably quickly. Rake and remove clippings then probably mow/catch at high level then mow again at finish level. If you can get it down to a reasonable height with the whippie, you might only have to mow once.
    I'm with edbeek. This is how I get the long ones into shape.
    Life's a garden, dig it! Life's a garden, dig it!

i have always slashed it , then rake up and slash again and so on,

i need to slash a 6 acre block next week, it takes me 2 days and the grass is between knee and waist hight. it a 6 monthly thing, $1200 each time and takes me 8-10 hours

Quote Originally Posted by 63impala View Post
    Run throw with ride on rake up and fishning up with the pushie....
    The mental image of Ben trying to turn a ride on in a 7x7 yard is cracking me up.

We used to hit it with the whippy, vac (have a garden vac - heaps quicker and easier than raking) but otherwise rake, mow on highest setting then drop it down and mow again.

Warn the customer it will look a little "pasty" for a couple of days as you've cut off all the green blades but it will bounce back and green up quickly.
    ~ Joanne ~

In my opinion the only way to go is to whippy it as low as you dare first then rake and bag. Then run the mower over it to clean it up and get it looking good. I have done heaps of these and that is the way I do them all. The real beauty of using the whippy first is that it exposes the hidden obstacles. Never ever give a figure over the phone for these. They generate huge amounts of green waste and depending on type and thickness of grass they can be real time consumers. When quoting look for matted thick kik as it is a killer. I always quote big on jobs like these.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

these types of jobs are a real pain, rarely do you get ongoing work from them, and the next time you hear from them is when the grass is again overgrown... so quote high, keeping in mind all the money she has saved by not bothering with a regular mow service. I usually do these jobs with a brushcutter, solid blade attached, or with my deutscher slasher...the aim being to do it as easily as possible with minimal machine damage. if you can, do a walk thru, looking for junk such as old car batteries, rocks etc.

Member of forum

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    i have always slashed it , then rake up and slash again and so on,

i need to slash a 6 acre block next week, it takes me 2 days and the grass is between knee and waist hight. it a 6 monthly thing, $1200 each time and takes me 8-10 hours
    My god Benny that is a big job. Good money though!

Quote Originally Posted by bellarinelawns View Post
    these types of jobs are a real pain, rarely do you get ongoing work from them, and the next time you hear from them is when the grass is again overgrown... so quote high, keeping in mind all the money she has saved by not bothering with a regular mow service. I usually do these jobs with a brushcutter, solid blade attached, or with my deutscher slasher...the aim being to do it as easily as possible with minimal machine damage. if you can, do a walk thru, looking for junk such as old car batteries, rocks etc.
    forgot to mention this....

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast