Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Horticulture course? what is the best to start off with?

Default Horticulture course? what is the best to start off with?

Hi all,

i am looking at doing some type of horticulture course... i have looked at a few, there is plant, turf, sports grounds etc... just wanting to get opinions by ppl who have completed similar course on what would be better to start of with? i am wanting to learn horticulture as a whole... so plants, turf, disease etc etc...

Would i be better off starting with cert in horticulture 1, then 11, 111 etc?

looking forward to the response.

Regards
    Ben

Default Re: Horticulture course? what is the best to start off with?

hey ben, that sounds like a wonderful thing to do

cant help ya on how etc, im only qualified to Hack Grass, to level iii, lol

good onya for wanting to improve yourself

cheers

I too was looking at this... But never got around iot it yet.
    Cheack out these posts on the subject
    http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/sh...t=Horticulture
    http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/sh...hlight=courses
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Hi Ben,

I was also looking at tafe courses but decided against it... From what I read Cert. 111 covers the basics and no minimum requirement to start the course.

https://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/ser...coursesResults

Ryde and Richmond are the closest... but the hours were really difficult while trying to working full time for me. I would probably be better off doing it via correspondence if I decide to do it.

I would also be interested in anyone that has done horticulture courses and the outcome!

Simmo.

You can do cert 11 and 111 through oten by corespondence. I did cert 11 that way just need to give it the time www.oten.edu.au

Quote Originally Posted by Simmo View Post
    Hi Ben,

I was also looking at tafe courses but decided against it... From what I read Cert. 111 covers the basics and no minimum requirement to start the course.

https://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/ser...coursesResults

Ryde and Richmond are the closest... but the hours were really difficult while trying to working full time for me. I would probably be better off doing it via correspondence if I decide to do it.

I would also be interested in anyone that has done horticulture courses and the outcome!

Simmo.

i am looking at doing it online or via correspondence, i too would strugle to find the day if i was to attend tafe.

Here is the link for oten via distance education for cert 2 http://wsi.tafensw.edu.au/Handlers/C...ashx?crsid=122

And here for cert 3 http://wsi.tafensw.edu.au/Handlers/C...ashx?crsid=123

Opinions on those?

or there is this place www.acs.edu.au/courses/certificates-and-diplomas-courses.aspx all tho i am not sure if they are a nationally recognised training

I had a look at Cert III. A few colleges are happy to do it via correspondence (varies from year to year). Bear in mind that you may need to go there for any practicals... which is a PITA because one of the good colleges with great teachers and reputation is also about six hours' drive from Sydney... I hear Strathfield may be the go as there is only one or two pracs and they're only $50 or so.

Cheers - GardenGuy.
    My Garden Guy - www.mygardenguy.com.au. Visit us at Facebook too! Visit our Blog for seasonal updates and hints about what your garden needs now.
    Servicing Sydney's North Shore from Chatswood to Cowan. Lawn mowing, gardening services, clean-ups and more.

If you need lawn mowing and garden services, you need an ILMCOA member. Check the directory for someone local to you.

I did Cert 3 at night over 3 years. It was tough going but I learn best being involved in discussions and being able to ask questions.

I have had a couple of clients ask if I am qualified,

There are different streams of Hort - I did Wholesale Nursery but the best for our business would most likely be Parks and Gardens or Turf.
    Landscape is really just building stuff

I use the knowledge every day and am forever thankful I did choose to study

Hi Ben, I started with OTEN Hort Cert 11, this was a great way to do it as I could study and do my exams at my local TAFE college. We did 3 practicals in the year this involved driving to Kurri Kurri TAFE on a Friday for a 1pm start we then worked until 5pm, sat start at 8.30am and worked to 4pm and Sunday started at 8.30 and worked till 1pm, we got to interact with others and ask question to teachers. You can ring teachers during course to ask questions. Cert 111 I did by taking 1 day a week off for 3 years, I just worked saturdays for 3 years.

For those who have done it, do you feel that it adds value and quality to your work, and do you feel that it has increased your profit (not income)?

Or is it that you feel that you understand the processes better, and perhaps that you feel more attuned to the work because of it?

Cheers - GardenGuy.

NB - Just trying to understand the position, am definitely not knocking anyone for seeking more knowledge and light.
    My Garden Guy - www.mygardenguy.com.au. Visit us at Facebook too! Visit our Blog for seasonal updates and hints about what your garden needs now.
    Servicing Sydney's North Shore from Chatswood to Cowan. Lawn mowing, gardening services, clean-ups and more.

If you need lawn mowing and garden services, you need an ILMCOA member. Check the directory for someone local to you.

Quote Originally Posted by GardenGuy View Post
    For those who have done it, do you feel that it adds value and quality to your work, and do you feel that it has increased your profit (not income)?

Or is it that you feel that you understand the processes better, and perhaps that you feel more attuned to the work because of it?

Cheers - GardenGuy.

NB - Just trying to understand the position, am definitely not knocking anyone for seeking more knowledge and light.
    Great question!

I am looking into it to get a better understanding of what I want to do as I don't have any experience in the field at all... so I am looking at learning and working my way in. I want to understand Plants, Turf, Pruning, Hedging, Weeding etc... so I can apply it to my skills list... I know you may not have to do a course to obtain these, but it would better suit me this way.

Quote Originally Posted by GardenGuy View Post

Cheers - GardenGuy.

I did Certificate II in General Nursery.

it was very enjoyable and helped with overall general gardening knowledge and did help when I was doing more gardening type jobs, I mainly do lawn mowing now so probably not that great of a help lol.

cert II is just grunt level though, I believe cert III and IV go more into management running a business ect. One of these days I hope to get back and start cert III

So let me be the devils advocate here....I am feeling horny ok....Your running your business....what 3 maybe 5 yrs....you have 60 to 100 clients.....your working hard...your bsuiness is growing and your happy withhow things are going. So doing a Hort Cert is fgoing to help you......How
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast