Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iPlantfile Pro

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: iPlantfile Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    Hate to take the thread for a drive down negative lane but this app in some instances could cost us jobs over dramatic maybe but think about it for a minute. I come across plenty of domestic customers (u maybe different) who would be happy to put in plants but they dont have the knowledge or the confidence to choose the right plants for the right spots this app solves that problem for them. We get a bit of work from pest indentification as well so this app helps them there too. Probably only a small percentage that will use it so its advantage to us far outweighs any negative issues it may cause.
    wouldn't worry about losing customers if they're already too lazy to use google then they're most likely too lazy to do the buying and planting
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Courty, that was news to me. I knew that he said there would be no more updates. It's a pity that has happened as it is great software. I have a early version V9.00 plus the latest V10.00 problem is V9.00 needs to have all the updates downloaded and I don't think that can be done anymore. I will send email and see. If so you can have V9.00 for $50.00
    Talked to Peter Kirkland via email today, he is releasing a Android version of iPlantfile in July this year for those that are interested.

Plantfile for Android has been released today, $8.99 to download just search for Plantfile. I have not had time to check it out yet. Will give opinion later when I have been able to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Plantfile for Android has been released today, $8.99 to download just search for Plantfile. I have not had time to check it out yet. Will give opinion later when I have been able to check it out.
    U beauty been waiting for this keen to get your opinion on it David.

I got this for my Android phone last night. Looks good to me.

One query though. I've only just got my first smart phone(Motorola Defy+) and I'm on a steep learning curve. Please excuse my ignorance.

I've downloaded a few apps and they seem to go to the phone memory first, then I move them to the SD card. They are only running when I open them.
    With iplantfile, it seems to be running all the time and I can't move it to the SD card. Also it seems to have a lot of permissions. ie modify SD card, access contacts in mail etc.

I got another app for searching/ identifying birds and I had to download the databases and it is 300+MB. This iplantfile (which basically does the same thing) app is only 30 odd MB so does it access it's info off the web each time?

Not sure how it works to access it's info but for things like this I downloaded the app Juice Defender. It stops all internet access on it's most agressive setting (the one I use) and you can quickly disable it when you need to use the data/internet. Saves battery and stops you using too much of your monthly data allowance. You'll still get calls and messages but no emails etc or anything that relies on the data connection.

Plantfile for Android.
    $8.99 for download, it's worth the money. You can search 3280 plants, with pictures of every plant listed, Search by plant Name if you know what you are looking for, otherwise do a simple search this open up a series of question to select plant. eg Aspect, Climate Zone, Flower colour, Foliage, Growth Rate, Height,Plant use, Soil type and so on, just tap each one to have a look, you can look for trees, shrubs, ground covers. You need to have it to play with it to get used to it but I for one use it at least twice a week and today it paid for it self I was able to show a client all about the trees I had selected and then I was able to show them how I had selected the trees. Won me the Lanscaping job.
    I would recommend it to all who do gardening or soft landscaping.

David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12