Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re spraying trailer

Default re spraying trailer

For those of you that do a bit of spray painting what type of gun do you use and what size nozzle to spray trailer etc.

I have a good commercial compressor to hook it up to.

Default Re: re spraying trailer

Getting my trailer resprayed in the next few days. I have taken it to a fabricator for some modifications and they said they can respray for an extra $200. Very cheap I thought so I am not expecting a fantastic job!!!!!!!
    Life's a garden, dig it! Life's a garden, dig it!

ive got a supercheap auto gravity feed gun and it works awesome... have tried the siphon one... worked but not as effective and trouble free as the gravity one.

Thats what I used to spray my trailer..
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

if you use hammertone paint it pretty much looks good no matter how crappy of a job you do.. hides all the dents etc too

Thanks guys. Yes hammertone is what I am using

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill View Post
    Thanks guys. Yes hammertone is what I am using
    I stuffed up a bit with the hammertone because I didn't turn the pressure on the compressor down low enough.. I had trouble getting it to cover and it didn't end up up with the hammertone effect. Its ok.

The nice thing is, I can buy a can of the same paint - saves all the drama of cleaning out the gun etc. for touch-ups.

Tom

Charcoal hammer finnish on the rims looks a treat
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

Thumbs up Re: re spraying trailer

Quote Originally Posted by TomSizer View Post
    I stuffed up a bit with the hammertone because I didn't turn the pressure on the compressor down low enough.. I had trouble getting it to cover and it didn't end up up with the hammertone effect. Its ok.

The nice thing is, I can buy a can of the same paint - saves all the drama of cleaning out the gun etc. for touch-ups.

Tom
    A bit the same here but never the less I think it came up a treat. Did basic prep, extra special attention to rust proofing under floor at all edges, undercoated and a couple of top coats and also sealed outside edging from further water penetration.

Now time to start on the 8 x 5 tipper with the front 6x3 boxed section. This needs heaps of prep so will be an all winter project.

Thanks guys, 1st time I really sprayed anything so will know a little more on the next project

OK then I have done my small trailer which was in reasonable condition and have a fair idea on how to paint it.

I now have a 9x5 tilt trailer with ramp at rear which has 6x3x3 box on the front. This trailer needs heaps of prep because it was let go and has some rust.
    I intend to use rust converter on all areas needed after getting rid of all loose rust, then penetrol. I have a good quality sealnt also.
    What are the handy tools needed for prep of a trailer? I have the basics wire brushes, scrapers etc but I am sure there are things that can make the jobs quicker and easier (without getting it sandblasted)
    Any ideas from those with knowledge or experience.

One of them air chisel needle hammer thingo's would be good for the flakey rust. Used it on the boat trailer a few timed and comes up a treat.
    P.s. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Don't know what its called.

P.s. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Don't know what its called.

needle scaler ...

John, get a couple of wire wheels to go on your angle grinder, this wiil make the job so much quicker and easier. NOTE make certain you wear a face shield as the little bits of wire do fly out occassionally also wear a dust mask. If you have to cut out rust and weld new plates in then maybe get a air chisel otherwise grinding wheels, cutting discs, polishing flap discs and wire wheels is all you need. Plus rust convertor.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    John, get a couple of wire wheels to go on your angle grinder, this wiil make the job so much quicker and easier. NOTE make certain you wear a face shield as the little bits of wire do fly out occassionally also wear a dust mask. If you have to cut out rust and weld new plates in then maybe get a air chisel otherwise grinding wheels, cutting discs, polishing flap discs and wire wheels is all you need. Plus rust convertor.
    Thanks for the info guys. Time to start the winter project

This trailer prep has only just started and I'm sick of it already. 1/4 of the way in and nasty little surprises keep popping up. Apparently it is all worth it in the end. Time shall tell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast