Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
Results 136 to 146 of 146

Thread: your vehicle

  1. #136
    Senior Member steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Can Bearer
    Posts
    1,538

    Default Re: your vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    My Isuzu has 22K km on it now. No problems so far. It's a really nice vehicle to drive. Love the auto transmission.
    Still a bit disappointed with the fuel consumption. Usually reads 10.5L/100 at the end of a tank of fuel. That's mostly highway driving and no traffic in my town. On a 230km trip to Brisbane in the early hours before any traffic, it gets about 9.6L/100 with nothing on board.

    For a 2WD, it's got a huge turning circle - bigger than my old 4WD Hilux. My bro has a 4 door 4WD Isuzu DMAX and he noticed my turning circle was bigger than his. I don't know the reason for that.

    Don't like the hillside assist/traction control with the trailer on.

    With the Diesel Particulate filter burn-off, can you tell when it's doing it? I know that the more upmarket models have a light & progress bar appears on the dash, but my model doesn't. I know mine has a light but I've never seen it come on apart from when starting & never noticed anything different to suggest it"s doing a burn-off. Other people have told me theirs burn-off quite regularly.

    If comparing to my Hilux, I'd say the Hilux is slightly more comfortable (seat, suspension & handling) but the DMAX makes up for that with easy driving (Auto & more power)

    Panels on the Isuzu are pretty flimsy. The door skins wobble when you shut the doors. The dealer told me when you shut the bonnet, you drop it from about 200mm rather than set it down & push it till it locks. You will dent the bonnet doing that.
    I already have a crack in the plastic front panel. It had a small dent there but I popped that out. Lost a front hubcap too, but the tyre shop had some new ones from a vehicle they replaced the wheels on, so they gave me one for free.
    I agree that is not great fuel consumption for a 2wd. What size is the donk? I wonder if the DPF makes it more thirsty? A quick google on DPF fuel economy indicates it might. My ford territory Diesel 2wd (no dpf) is a fairly heavy vehicle with a 6 cylinder diesel and it has better fuel economy than that.

  2. #137
    Senior Member edbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Burnett, Qld
    Posts
    1,713

    Default Re: your vehicle

    It's a 3.0L TD engine Steveo & 6 speed auto.

    The blurb says it should get: Extra Urban- 6.5L/100, Urban- 9.3L/100, & Combined 7.5L/100. I rarely drive over 100kph & even lately I'm trying to drive @ 90kph whenever I can & it doesn't make much difference. The max weight I carry/tow would be 1500kg and that's only with the biggest mower on. Prob do 50& driving without any trailer at all, so I should do better than I am.

  3. #138

    Default Re: your vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    My Isuzu has 22K km on it now. No problems so far. It's a really nice vehicle to drive. Love the auto transmission.
    Still a bit disappointed with the fuel consumption. Usually reads 10.5L/100 at the end of a tank of fuel. That's mostly highway driving and no traffic in my town. On a 230km trip to Brisbane in the early hours before any traffic, it gets about 9.6L/100 with nothing on board.

    For a 2WD, it's got a huge turning circle - bigger than my old 4WD Hilux. My bro has a 4 door 4WD Isuzu DMAX and he noticed my turning circle was bigger than his. I don't know the reason for that.

    Don't like the hillside assist/traction control with the trailer on.

    With the Diesel Particulate filter burn-off, can you tell when it's doing it? I know that the more upmarket models have a light & progress bar appears on the dash, but my model doesn't. I know mine has a light but I've never seen it come on apart from when starting & never noticed anything different to suggest it"s doing a burn-off. Other people have told me theirs burn-off quite regularly.

    If comparing to my Hilux, I'd say the Hilux is slightly more comfortable (seat, suspension & handling) but the DMAX makes up for that with easy driving (Auto & more power)

    Panels on the Isuzu are pretty flimsy. The door skins wobble when you shut the doors. The dealer told me when you shut the bonnet, you drop it from about 200mm rather than set it down & push it till it locks. You will dent the bonnet doing that.
    I already have a crack in the plastic front panel. It had a small dent there but I popped that out. Lost a front hubcap too, but the tyre shop had some new ones from a vehicle they replaced the wheels on, so they gave me one for free.
    You want to see what my Triton is like!!
    http://www.southeastmowing.com.au
    Mob: 0423 091 182



    www.facebook.com/SouthEastMowing




    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn from yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow.

    If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving!

  4. #139
    Senior Member edbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Burnett, Qld
    Posts
    1,713

    Default Re: your vehicle

    Looks like my Isuzu might go to an early grave
    Drove into a hail storm yesterday trying to get home. Every panel & roof has dings in them. The assessor will look at it next week, but the insurance agent thinks they will write it off. Replacement is 'new for old' so I get a brand new one and minimal change-over costs apart from the excess.

  5. #140
    Member Redeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Shoalhaven ,NSW
    Posts
    5,261

    Default Re: your vehicle

    gonna stick with a Suzi?




    http://www.curraronglawnsngarden.com/

    http://curraronggardening.com/

    "All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

  6. #141
    Senior Member edbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Burnett, Qld
    Posts
    1,713

    Default Re: your vehicle

    Yes I think so Paul. But I just talked to the assessor/repairer that specialise in hail damage, on the phone and they have some method they can use to pop out hail dings, so maybe they can repair it.

    Worst thing about the Isuzu 2wd is you cant spin the wheels on slippery ground. The engine just goes to idle. Auto Traction Control? They are probably all like that though. Doesn't help me when trying to get up the hill to my shed.

  7. #142
    Very Helpful Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    melb.sth. east
    Posts
    4,694

    Default Re: your vehicle

    if they pop the dings out tell them you also expect a full repaint as the paint work and anti rust coatings could have microscopic holes in them which will eventually allow them to rust if they say a repaint isn't necessary tell them you want a lifetime guarantee against rust
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

  8. #143

    Question Re: your vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Looks like my Isuzu might go to an early grave
    Drove into a hail storm yesterday trying to get home. Every panel & roof has dings in them. The assessor will look at it next week, but the insurance agent thinks they will write it off. Replacement is 'new for old' so I get a brand new one and minimal change-over costs apart from the excess.
    There was a pop up repairer located in mulgrave in a spare factory last xmas for about 3 months.
    Had a shi***ad of cars turn up some very badly damaged. Seems like they got em fixed ok.
    Had probably 30-40 cars parked in there every day for quite a while and then slowed down to a trickle before they moved on.
    You may be surprised with what they want to do Ed!

    But if its as bad as you say I would put my hard earned on a new car
    http://www.southeastmowing.com.au
    Mob: 0423 091 182



    www.facebook.com/SouthEastMowing




    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn from yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow.

    If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving!

  9. #144
    Senior Member RSM-Gazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    1,956

    Default Re: your vehicle

    Wife's new Yaris at 200km got a stone impact deep creased into the metal fold join next to top of windscreen and a impact departure creased mark as it slide off. Smash repairer who I know and contract mow for said windscreen out, new one in, repair, repaint full roof and re calibrate Camera-sensors for lane departure/Auto braking etc.

    Local dent repairer whom they use and they put me onto who works in all states and hard to get after hail storms finally come to us. He pulled the dent out including the strengthier metal fold area into the windscreen, touch up a micro bit of paint in screen join all for $150. You can not detect at all where it happened. Public would have paid $200.
    He said the small stone dent in my hilux door he would take care off and the factory rippling in the metal on the door. I said what rippling and at an angle he showed me. I said no to that as it was never noticeable, but they see it.
    He works in Sydney, Canberra, melb and all regional areas chasing the work.

    Believe me they can repair dents with their pulling tools and UV lighting to better/equal to factory often. They can pull dents out s/steel fridge doors when there not as busy which is like Jan/Feb and well after storm season.
    Cheers Garry

  10. #145
    MEMBER Fred's mowing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    bayside melb
    Posts
    3,122

    Default Re: your vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Yes I think so Paul. But I just talked to the assessor/repairer that specialise in hail damage, on the phone and they have some method they can use to pop out hail dings, so maybe they can repair it.

    Worst thing about the Isuzu 2wd is you cant spin the wheels on slippery ground. The engine just goes to idle. Auto Traction Control? They are probably all like that though. Doesn't help me when trying to get up the hill to my shed.
    Ed, with my BT, I can disable the dynamic stability control with the push of a button.
    I can do this in 2wd mode even though its 4wd, sure you cant disable it ?
    Failing that, you could always have a diff lock fitted.

    Cheers Fred.

  11. #146
    Senior Member edbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Burnett, Qld
    Posts
    1,713

    Default Re: your vehicle

    Hi Fred, I have a button but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Might have to read up on it in the manual. Might have to push the button before I start the mad rush to the hill .

    Apparently there are many hundreds of vehicles for him to assess between here & Bundaberg after 3 separate hail storms went through yesterday.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •