Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: your vehicle

Default Re: your vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I am having problems accessing a few 14mm bolts that I want to undo. I have 14mm impact sockets but there isn't enough room for them. I also have the a 14mm spanner but it will round the bolt heads if I use it. What type of spanner should I use for this situation? I have looked at repco and supercheap online hoping to find something but no luck.
    can you get a photo? give us an idea of how to go...

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    can you get a photo? give us an idea of how to go...
    Its the bolt pretty much in the middle, the timing belt pulley. I could remove the engine mount to get at it but I then have the same problem with the engine mount bolts. i.e. not enough room for a hex socket.

3411.jpg

It's pretty tight too. Too tight. I have tried a flat ring spanner but can't crack it. If I put some leverege on it I'm worried I'll round it.

if its too tight for 1/2" socket, could you get a 3/8" one on it? sounds like you need to get a cracking bar on it.......lots of wd40 / penetrene too b4 you try

or a good fitting spanner with a length of water pipe on it?

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Very Helpful Member

Hexhead/6 point spanner unfortunately the only set i can find is http://www.discounttrader.com.au/pro...mperial-81931/
    another option maybe the flare nut spanner http://www.bunnings.com.au/craftrigh...r-set_p6110604
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Heat it up with a heat gun if you have one ( NOT A BLOW TORCH) for about 10 mins on the highest setting and then crack it with tight fitting spinner and length of pipe.

I have used this method a number of times and worked every time..

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Hexhead/6 point spanner unfortunately the only set i can find is http://www.discounttrader.com.au/pro...mperial-81931/
    another option maybe the flare nut spanner http://www.bunnings.com.au/craftrigh...r-set_p6110604
    I have a set of those gear ratcheting spanners. I wouldn't trust putting full force in to them. The flare nut spanners look interesting. Decent price too? I was in bunnings the other day and did not see them. I think heat gun is next option except i don't have a heat gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    if its too tight for 1/2" socket, could you get a 3/8" one on it? sounds like you need to get a cracking bar on it.......lots of wd40 / penetrene too b4 you try

or a good fitting spanner with a length of water pipe on it?
    I've tried cracking it with the ring spanner and a hammer, no luck and not game to hit it any harder. Ah cars, don't ya love em.

Quote Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
    Heat it up with a heat gun if you have one ( NOT A BLOW TORCH) for about 10 mins on the highest setting and then crack it with tight fitting spinner and length of pipe.

I have used this method a number of times and worked every time..
    Can you recommend a heat gun from bunnings that would do the trick?

Very Helpful Member

the Gearwrench spanners in my link aren't the ratcheting type they're a mechanics 6 sided ring spanner.one of the Auto stores may be able to source offer one in the size you need without the expense of the full set
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

l've had the XU1 heat gun from Bunning for years now and has done the job. On high setting it's Bl**dy hot. Whilst not a propane or hot devil map torch which I've got in the shed too. The XU1 can thump out severe burning type heat to touch on high and more moderate on low.
    Mine whilst called the same XU1 XHG-501 1800w from Bunnings rated 300Cel-600C.
    The new model one at Bunnings is XU1 XHG- 503, rated 350C -550C for $30. They come with 4 nozzle attachments, pretty good kit for the price.

Seeing the pictured bolt has minor rounding from previous frustrating attempts to get it off.
    May also recommend if purchasing the Flare Spanners or Full ring Spanner, try the Repco branded Flare/Ring Spanners. Repco spanners, sockets, wrenches etc are really high end quality with tight spec tolerances and strength among the best. Not the Repco sold Mechpro gear as that's the budget stuff competing with Supercheap.

I've a very well equip't workshop/mancave at home and when ever I snap/break a tool like mentioned above. The replacement choice is a Repco branded one with life time warranty.
    I'm often lurking around that place on the 30% weekends trying to find something I don't have to buy, find me at Total Tools too.

Sidchrome gear is from Black'n'Decker, Stanley, Dewalt mob. Nothing wrong with the Black n Decker people as I've converted all my tools to DEWALT 18V/54V XR FLEXVOLT range in the last year.

Good Luck, hope you don't end up grinding the head off with Air Grinder Die and Dremal in such a tight space.
    I had a bolt head that was rounded after several removal attempts and had to be grinded off. Bl**dy well nearly destroyed the remaining small amount of bolt length protruding with the curved pliers I had.
    So I stopped and went to Totaltools and bought a couple of better quality Milwaukee Torque Lock Curved Jaw Locking Pliers and got the bolt out. But I did have more working space than you have.

Also bought a pair of Warren Brown screw removal pliers with special curved mating ends for gripping 8g/10g etc type screw removal. But that's not suitable for this project, just a side comment.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    the Gearwrench spanners in my link aren't the ratcheting type they're a mechanics 6 sided ring spanner.one of the Auto stores may be able to source offer one in the size you need without the expense of the full set
    Ahh, got you now, I didn't look at the picture properly, that is exactly what I was after.

I'll pick up one of those heat guns the Gazza has recommended. $30 is very reasonable.

I am assuming the reversible racheting type spanners are not as strong as the non racheting spanners as far as cracking a bolt goes.

Those racheting spanners save a lot of mucking around, reversible would be even better.

Anyone know if that is true or not? Probably like asking how long is a piece of string. How long is a piece of string anyway? Doesn't matter too much buying a single spanner but if end up buying a set it matters.

Very Helpful Member

I remember my mechanic saying that while they are great you can't apply the same force or you will break the ratchet and make them useless

l've toyed with buying a set of gearwrench ratcteters , dont really need them (l've got a pretty extensive workshop) but they would make some jobs a lot easier.....and l def wouldn't put a great deal of torque on them

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast