Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Roundup effect on dogs

Default Roundup effect on dogs

There was a thread on this but I cannot find it. Think it was put up by David.

There was an info sheet he posted and kept with him in vehicle to give clients worried about glyphosate-round up effect on their dog if eating sprayed weeds. Can anyone help

Default Re: Roundup effect on dogs

my dog used to go nuts at round up time but he was a blue healer.
    i suppose this dosnt help though

Here's the thread you're looking for John

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/sh...made-dogs-sick
    ~ Joanne ~

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by dave hirst View Post
    my dog used to go nuts at round up time but he was a blue healer.
    i suppose this dosnt help though
    nuts at round up time and just crazy the rest of the time
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

one of my regular clients is a retired vet who has told me that a dog would have to drink the roundup to have any effect on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs HMS View Post
    Here's the thread you're looking for John

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/sh...made-dogs-sick
    Thanks Jo...........

my rule is if the customer doesn't feel good about the application of round up I wont apply it...vinegar and salt in major quantity..i do say its not good for the plants nearby but thats their decision...don't want a dog die that relates back to the round up even if its not related...don't want to go through the drama...
    As a precaution i tell my customer to leave the animal away from the area for a couple of hours

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Gardens View Post
    one of my regular clients is a retired vet who has told me that a dog would have to drink the roundup to have any effect on it.
    +1 ....................

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

You could just about drink straight glypho without any ill effect. However, some of the fun additives to improve its efficacy may mess up your liver and kidneys, if you drank it straight from the bottle. Generally, if you quote a holding period (i.e. keep pets and livestock of the sprayed area) of say six hours miniumum, then it should be OK.

There are quite a few studies out there about Round-Up and glyphosate which should be able to give even the most uncomfortable client some reasonable satisfaction.

Vinegar is great, at the correct percentage by volume of acetic acid. Too much and the weeds just burn, too little and it's a waste of time. Vinegar and salt is troublesome. Only choose salt if you are trying for a semi-persistent result. It may take up to three years or more for the salt to be removed from the soil by natural processes - and in the meanwhile, nothing much will grow.

HTH.

Cheers - GardenGuy.
    My Garden Guy - www.mygardenguy.com.au. Visit us at Facebook too! Visit our Blog for seasonal updates and hints about what your garden needs now.
    Servicing Sydney's North Shore from Chatswood to Cowan. Lawn mowing, gardening services, clean-ups and more.

If you need lawn mowing and garden services, you need an ILMCOA member. Check the directory for someone local to you.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GardenGuy View Post
    You could just about drink straight glypho without any ill effect. However, some of the fun additives to improve its efficacy may mess up your liver and kidneys, if you drank it straight from the bottle. Generally, if you quote a holding period (i.e. keep pets and livestock of the sprayed area) of say six hours miniumum, then it should be OK.

There are quite a few studies out there about Round-Up and glyphosate which should be able to give even the most uncomfortable client some reasonable satisfaction.

Vinegar is great, at the correct percentage by volume of acetic acid. Too much and the weeds just burn, too little and it's a waste of time. Vinegar and salt is troublesome. Only choose salt if you are trying for a semi-persistent result. It may take up to three years or more for the salt to be removed from the soil by natural processes - and in the meanwhile, nothing much will grow.

HTH.

Cheers - GardenGuy.
    Except Kikuyu. Years ago I used to use 2kg of salt mixed in 10ltrs of water for sterilizing fish nets. Made the mistake of throwing it all out on my back lawn once. It took about 6 months but the kik grew back nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    my rule is if the customer doesn't feel good about the application of round up I wont apply it...vinegar and salt in major quantity..i do say its not good for the plants nearby but thats their decision...don't want a dog die that relates back to the round up even if its not related...don't want to go through the drama...
    As a precaution i tell my customer to leave the animal away from the area for a couple of hours
    Your middle name wouldn't be Eric by any chance? lol
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Quote Originally Posted by GardenGuy View Post
    You could just about drink straight glypho without any ill effect.....

Cheers - GardenGuy.
    They say two heads are better than one.....
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

geez David bring back the memories mate and who couldn't forget me ol mate geejay ....