Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Safety - Common Sense

Ebony

Default Safety - Common Sense

Occupational Health & Safety is a HUGE thing. Now the laws and regulations relating to safety in the workerplace are getting more and more tight, that's a whole new topic.

I just want to say that you should respect your machinery.

A family I know had an accident with a ride-on mower they recently purchased. A young teenager was on the mower and the toddler ran up to the mower wanting to have a go. Just like that, an addicent, the little toddler lost three toes, and unfortunatly the grafting did not take. He now has to have them all removed, so that he will be able to walk in the future.

Please remember at all times that we do deal with dangerous equipment.

Ebony

Ebony

Default From Mark Paisley's Corner

And on that topic also, this is from Mark Pasleys corner on indmowing.com.au website

ONE BLACK DAY

Most lawnmowing contractors would agree that mowing lawns for a living is a relatively safe occupation. I'd like to tell a story that may help some contractors to think a little more about safety and how you go about your daily jobs.

One of my customers owns a large property that I mow weekly with a 20hp Walker mower. Anyone who has used a Walker will tell you what great mowers they are.

The property overlooks the beach from the top of a hill and I'm lucky enough to be able to dump all my clippings down an embankment at the rear of the property. I just back up and lift the catcher - it's all too easy - or so I thought.

One fine day last December, I was mowing this property and was glad that I was going to spend the day on the Walker instead of a walk behind mower.

The "catcher full" signal went off and I headed off down the back to dump the first load of the day. I backed up as I've done so many times before but on this day, I backed up just a fraction too far. As soon as I stopped the mower, and before I could do anything, it started to roll backwards. My first thought was "this is not good" - then the mower flipped backwards sending me about 10 metres down the side of the embankment. I looked up to see the mower rolling down the embankment sideways and coming straight for me. I thought, "I'm going to die". I covered my head with my arms but the impact was enormous - I've never been hit so hard by anything ever before. It rolled over me and landed right way up and still running about 5 metres down from where I was lying. I dragged myself over the mower and turned it off and climbed out of there. How lucky I thought, to be able to even walk. I think what saved me was that I landed on old grass clippings and this cushioned the impact. If I was lying on hard ground, it would have been a different story written no doubt by someone else.

I spent the rest of that day in hospital and came away with two broken ribs, a cut face and some A1 bruises. The mower had to be winched out but it was ok.

I lost a couple of weeks work which was a bit stressful in the middle of summer but it could have been worse.

So to all contractors, watch out for those hidden dangers, stay alert and keep safe

Ebony

My Step dad used to work for Kubota He was telling me how a guy put his hand under a mower, the blades were still spinning. Took off his fingers.

Now this may sound silly, but how often do we do things with out thinking or just as a reaction.

As Mark said in that article Stay Alert don't ever become complacent when working with machinery

Something for us all to think about.

Ebony

Tonyr

Thank you Ebony, great thread!

Justv got one quiery though...

Mark said, "My first thought was "this is not good" -"

I am not sure about the accuracy of that, I reckon his first words would of been a lot more "interesting"...what do you reckon?

Sorry, just muckin' around...bored.

Easycareacres

Wow Mark that will be one scare you wont forget.
    I had a scare on my walker but no where as bad as that. You must of been a bit nervous couple weeks latter getting back onto to mower.
    I went sliding down steep bank, I jumped off as no way controlling it then crunch into a building that I had to pay to repair.
    Silly me also clearing the back of honda mower while going, ripped finger up. I got lazy turning mower off when clogs up, just rushing not thinking.