Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving

Default moving

Hi all

Well looks like im moving from Tassie back to brisbane north side and im going to move my business up there but im going to change name and start again lol said to see it all go here and my good customers.

who else has done this and how did you tell your customers.

Also has any one got a good mowing trailer they want to sell.

Thank you guys

Default Re: moving

Are you selling off all your gear there or have you thought about employing someone to do your run in Tassie so you still retain some income from there?

im going to keep all my gear and take it with me and replace all the old stuff and as for the customers iv got 25+ and most of them are 2 weekley but not sure how they would be with me selling them off

Chris Fox (Brisbane)

Quote Originally Posted by cfox0409 View Post
    im going to keep all my gear and take it with me and replace all the old stuff and as for the customers iv got 25+ and most of them are 2 weekley but not sure how they would be with me selling them off
    You're doing them a favor.
    You're looking after their interests.
    They wont have to find a new guy, you've done it for them.
    They should be confident the new guy will do a good job, as he has so much to loose!
    You did'nt sell them as such, u sold your business.
    If the milkbar on the corner changes hands, do u not deal with the new owner because you've been sold.
    No your happy he did'nt close his doors & walk away, turning his back on his customers.
    Sell your business, do the right thing by your customers, win,win,win!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cheers Fred.
    Ps if you dont think your worth anything............................. then your not

I've done it, opposite direction, I went from QLD to VIC. Wasn't long started so all mine were given to my mates little bro who was starting up for himself, and you'll be amazed how long you still receive calls after you've left, consider that when selling, worth a mention to the purchaser if you are keeping your number. None of the removalists will take anything with fuel in it or gas bottles etc so make sure you're mowers etc are clean and long empty or you'll be on the ferry with them all before a 17hr drive to Brissie. I don't know anyone on the north side of town but make sure you introduce yourself so you may get any jobs they don't want or can't get to. Redback Mowing was from the north side but I haven't seen him on the forum for ages. Good on ya, you won't regret it when you see how mild the winter up there is!

I moved from Melbourne back to Sydney 6 years ago. I sold my Melbourne clients by advertising through the businesses for sale section on here with Dean's help. I ended up selling my clients to 2 different operators in Melbourne, i just sold the clients, i kept my equipment, trailer, business name and mobile number.
    Because of all the rules and reg's relating to moving flammables, i drove my car up to Sydney with the trailer and all my gardening gear.
    Not sure how you will can do that from Tassie to Qld though.

+1 to what Fred said. When I bought my business I really wondered how the customers felt about being "sold off". I soon found out.....they were happy as they didn't need to find a new guy (besides, apparently my work is better than the previous owner according to a number of my clients). I've only lost 2 (houses sold and they moved) and picked up 8 new ones (3 in one street, next door to each other.....gotta love that) by word of mouth......so sell them off.

how do you know how much to sell them for i would not know where to start and should i ask the customers if they mine being handed over to a new person

Chris Fox (Brisbane)

It's usually worked out on a multiplication of the individual cut value per client. I can't remember the exact figure but a Jim once told me 4 or 8 times the cut value.

Quote Originally Posted by cfox0409 View Post
    how do you know how much to sell them for i would not know where to start and should i ask the customers if they mine being handed over to a new person
    Everything is open to negotiation.
    I dont know how much time u have?
    Two applications come to mind with good will.
    A multiple of the cut value or 6 months gross turnover.
    Everything is negotiable. There are no hard and fast rules here.
    Dont ask the customer, tell him your situation & he is lucky that u have found someone with a terrific attitude just busting to prove his worth!
    They can only refuse & then they have to go to the bother of finding someone else.
    Why would'nt the guy you are introducing be as good as anyone they can find? He has way more to loose!
    Good luck with winding it up & your venture up north.
    Cheers Fred.

I'm in the process of moving from Sydney's Northern Beaches to the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne, maybe Kew. It's a hassle, but the time has come. I'm from Melbourne and Sydney is just too expensive relative to income.

I'll probably sell my business to a mate, it would be foolish to just walk away, of course it is a business.

U'll be needing some $$$$$$$$$$$ if ya gunna move to Kew.
    Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Cheers Fred.
    Fred
    Sydney's Northern Beaches, he could probably buy the whole of Kew

just mucking around Wyadra,all the best with the move
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post

Cheers Fred.
    yep,reckon if you could afford kew mate you can retire lol...dont worry about me i am just jealous

Thanks guys for all the help

Chris Fox (Brisbane)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast