Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Brushcutter to buy?Honda brushcutter stihl brushcutter

Hills Lawncare Services

Default What Brushcutter to buy?Honda brushcutter stihl brushcutter

I'm on the market for a new brushcutter. Like to hear what people use and think are best, don't trust the guys in the mower shops. New honda's look pretty good.

Thanks

Charbel

Easycareacres

honda whippers all they way got 7 nevr let me down

Tonyr

Got a Honda, will get another, actually want one of the new ones!

Next best which is 2 stroke is Shindaiwa.

Next time you can, check out the size of the new engines on the new '04 Honda range or Hedge trimmers and blowers, bloody huge!

Trimmer is too heavy for me, but I'd own a blower, if I could carry it! LOL!

Always had Honda motor bikes as a kid, love Honda gear!

Ebony

Smile Quick Reference

Info on the Honda Brushcutters: indshop/brushcutter_honda.htm

(I have not put the members pricing in as of yet sorry, just the RRP is listed)
    Last edited by indi_gal; 12-06-2004 at 07:22 PM.

Tonyr

what is the difference between the new UMT431 LNU and the older UMK431K1?

I just compared specs and the only difference seems to be the new model is a bit heavier but no extra power or torque...

Thanks for any help...

I've got the older one, great machine, sweet motor, but could do with more power. bogs down easier than desired. but it's good though. I was hoping the new models were more powerful, more torque, I think the same size 2 stroke engine would outperform the 4 stroke, thought honda was closing the comparison gap some...

Ebony

Hi Tony,

To be honest, I am not as well educated on the honda brushcutters as I am on their mowers I am not actually sure of the upgrades on the brushcutters, but will do my best to find out for you.

You are right that the specs remain pretty much the same for the new models, which would leave me to believe the upgrade was a touch up.

I also agree regarding the 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke brushcutter models.

Ebony

odin

sthil 4 mix ....sthil 4 mix .....sthil 4 mix ....../sthil 4 mix ........o did i mention sthil 4 mix?

Tonyr

So let me see if I have got this right....you reckon Stihl 4 mix is OK ? LOL!

Why I like the Honda is I am a bug fan of straight feul, don't like mixing and keeping fresh different mixes for different machines.

The new Honda's I saw last week are very bulky, the blower and hedge trimmer are rediculous in size and weight, the trimmers look to be more bulky than my model bought new 18 months ago.

Bigger, heavier, bulkier just ain't the right direction, more power and torque in more compact sizing and certainly no heavier is the right way, maybe these tech geeks should get out in the industry and get some hands on experience and see what big heavy gear is like to opperate.

Shame, I love hondas, but I am of limited strength and these are now big and heavy, the work is hard enough as it is. even interferes with my internet time which ain't good lol.

Hills Lawncare Services

Thanks for all the advice, my honda mowers have never let me down, but I remember when I originally went to buy a brushcutter about 2 years ago people told me the honda was very heavy and not that great, have these issues been sorted out with the newer models.

Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyr
    ... but I am of limited strength and these are now big and heavy, the work is hard enough as it is.
    That is the stupid thing about it. Honda's have the best motors around, but their equipment is getting heavier. They take a great mower with a light powerful motor, and replace it with an old motor (the motors on the new honda's are nothing new) that is a lot heavier. Silly techs at honda turn around and say yea the contractors liked the 195 because they could just throw them on the ute. We say, pushing an extra 2kg all day every day makes a BIG difference.

It has nothing to do with limited strength, it has to do with working smarter. How can Honda expect people to pay anywhere from $100.00 to $300.00 more for a brushcutter that is heavier then the market standard.

IMO The 4-stroke technology still has a fair way to go with the brushcutters.

Charbel what brushcutter are you using at the moment?

Ebony

Hills Lawncare Services

I'm using the Kaaz, its great on the petrol and for using in lawns, but if I want to do a bit more heavier clearing it doesn't have the power.

Easycareacres

We use the honda gx25's they are so light and personaly think honda is the rolls royce in small motors. These whippers i picked for the all day km's of parks so less fatiqe carring weight.
    We also run cord a little longer as we in a hurry lol, if clutch does happen to go well $20.00 and 10 mins replace. Same as tony sick of mixing fuels with people stuffing up the mixes.
    We threw away the saftey gaurd and relaced all with sliding gaurds so cord gives inch longer cut. Only downfall is every 8 hrs oil change and that takes 2 mins.

Ebony

For memory Charbel, didn't you buy the bent shaft brushcutter?

Pain in the Grass

Hey guys..I've had twop Honda now and their great, but lately I've been using A stihl 2 stroke with the auto feed head...Was very sceptical about it but salesman said give it a go and I did....Gotta say I would never go back to an allow head again...I'be been using the Stihl now for about four months and never had a problem with fouling etc.....Just load the head in the morning and can get through at least four to five regualr jobs without having to reload it which actually takes about two mins or less....Keep a spare cartridge loaded anyway so I can get through around 8 lawns a day, edging etc without having to change cartridges.....I will keep using them until I find they give me a problem....My Hondas are left in the truck and havent been used in quite a while......

Also, I did a head in on the UMK425.....Nearly fell over when told it would cost $200.00 to repalce it..........In fact when that happened I just bought the Stihl off the showroom floor so I could get back to work...Have never looked back....

Downsides??????? Noisier than the Honda and having to mix fuel,,,but hey I figure I'm saving about five minutes per job, not contiuously reloading the alloy heads....(actually timed it and found this was the case)....Averagew that out over about say eight jobs a day and you've got a 40 minute a day saving on time.

Just a thought.

Easycareacres

haa painingrass onya buddy, No im still going with hondas as use the alloy head takes 4 and a half metres of the type cord im using, heads $20 and last 1 month easy. These guys I have use them constant all day revs to max constant.
    Always loved the 2 strokes but ha opposite to you. 2 strokes in shed and carry one for back up heavy brush stuff. All prev to the job.
    I have the heads greased fortnightly on all off them.
    I f you have a sthill you have top of the range I must say just hate paying for the badge lol.
    Great for your feed back matey.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast