Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Printer

Default Re: Printer

If you are looking a cheap to run mono laser printer it is hard to go past a Kyocera.
    You only ever replace the toner (not drum + toner) as in an HP - and toner for 5-7k pages will cost about $20-30

I have picked up 2nd hand Kyocera 1030D (double sided capable) for bat $60 on ebay - ex schools/Ed dept and they are almost brand new -- 8k pages on the clock (design life of 100k+ pages).
    The older Kyocera 1000 & 1010 are also a good buy - built like a rock and go trouble free for ages ( over 100k pages)
    Sufficient to say I have a couple of them and would not swap them for another brand.

Joe

+1 on a laser

just bought my 3rd brother laser from Bigw in 5 years

1st $99
    2nd $88
    3rd $68

print a couple of pages 6 days a week

cant be bothered buying toner , just buy a new printer

in saying that the 2nd one stopped printing so just replaced it anyway since it had done 2.5 years

benefit is laser does not run if it gets wet like ink does

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie5 View Post

cant be bothered buying toner , just buy a new printer

Please consider the environment - Reduce, ReUse,ReCycle
    rather than just 'throwaway' consumerism which will ultimately cost us much more in the longterm.

The fact is most printers are shipped with a 'starter' ink/toner and by the time the printer goes through it's initial startup sequence, you can expect to get 30-50% of the amount of printing that you get from a full replacement ink/toner.

i considered it for the 2nd printer since it had been flashing add toner for about 6 months

but since it decided to not print anymore it went in the bin

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie5 View Post
    i considered it for the 2nd printer since it had been flashing add toner for about 6 months

but since it decided to not print anymore it went in the bin
    After saying feed me for 6months it probably died from hunger
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    If you are looking a cheap to run mono laser printer it is hard to go past a Kyocera.
    You only ever replace the toner (not drum + toner) as in an HP - and toner for 5-7k pages will cost about $20-30

I have picked up 2nd hand Kyocera 1030D (double sided capable) for bat $60 on ebay - ex schools/Ed dept and they are almost brand new -- 8k pages on the clock (design life of 100k+ pages).
    The older Kyocera 1000 & 1010 are also a good buy - built like a rock and go trouble free for ages ( over 100k pages)
    Sufficient to say I have a couple of them and would not swap them for another brand.

Joe
    The drum needs to be replaced at 100,000 pages (or if it gets scratched or damaged prior). After market cartridges are cheap around $20 - $40 each.. OEM cartridges are well over $100. From memory, drum units are around $250 dollars.

If you get a bad aftermarket cartridge it will ruin the fuser and/or the transfer rollers and you will get toner buildup that bakes on them (you see smudging and toner doesn't fuse on those spots). I wouldn't recommend duplex printing with aftermarket cartridges (from plenty of examples i have seen).

I agree, they are a good cost effective machine especially when you can pick one up for only $60!

Simmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Simmo View Post
    The drum needs to be replaced at 100,000 pages (or if it gets scratched or damaged prior). After market cartridges are cheap around $20 - $40 each.. OEM cartridges are well over $100. From memory, drum units are around $250 dollars.

If you get a bad aftermarket cartridge it will ruin the fuser and/or the transfer rollers and you will get toner buildup that bakes on them (you see smudging and toner doesn't fuse on those spots). I wouldn't recommend duplex printing with aftermarket cartridges (from plenty of examples i have seen).
    Agree that the drum is good for 100k pages (according to manufacturer) unless damaged ... But in my (now reyired from profession) 20+yrs of experience with laser printers in using and supporting IT equip, having to replace a drum was uncommon (except in xerox printers which counted drum revolutions then self destructed an on board chip to FORCE expensive replacement even though drum was working ok with acceptable quality).

Drums did not tend to get damaged unless people put things like paper with staples still present into printer .....
    Other killer was (the wrong type) of overhead projector film --- which melts like toasted cheese and takes out the fuser assembly!
    Anyway the Kyocera / OCE model where you only replace toner and not toner-drum assembly when toner runs out as in most other brands (HP, brother, etc) gives a much lower TCO (total cost of ownership).

Re toner cost --- i have bought GENUINE Kyocera toner on eBay for under $20 - usually from ppl who have replaced their printer and had spare toner in the cupboard.

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12