Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Commerical V resi zero turns

Default Commerical V resi zero turns

Hi Guys ,, Im still sussing out what machine to get .. have been speaking extensively with my local Hustler / bobcat dealer and he is determined that I should go with a commercical Hustler or bobcat over the Sports (residential) model. I know it is only $3000 difference between the 18Hp 42" sport with and the 20hp 42" Fastrak - but it is $3K id rather have in my pocket. Does anyone run with the residential mowers and not have trouble with them?
    cheers
    Alby

Default Re: Commerical V resi zero turns

It depends what sort of lawns your doing ( such as rough overgrown or fairways )?

I knew a few people that had resi ztrs and they worked fine you just have to know their limit and try not to take on the jungles.

You might get lucky if you look around and get a x demo which might still save you the 3k

Also depends on the warranty they're prepared to give you. My Ariens 42" ZoomXL ($7000) is on the crossover between resi and commercial.....the dealer gave me 3 years commercial warranty. Considering I'm up to about 70 hours in 6 months (the quiet time too) it means I'll have warranty for at least 500 hours. Most of the resi mowers I looked at looked decidedly frail in the chassis.

How do you find that mower Blacktop i was looking at one the other day they look good

Hi, are you intending to catch most of your lawns or mulch? I was looking at the same two mowers a few months back and ended up purchasing a walker instead after talking to a fellow contractor who had just purchased the hustler sport, his opinion was it did a really nice finish but was hopeless at catching unless the grass was fairly short and dry.
    Evan

Quote Originally Posted by Alby View Post
    Hi Guys ,, Im still sussing out what machine to get .. have been speaking extensively with my local Hustler / bobcat dealer and he is determined that I should go with a commercical Hustler or bobcat over the Sports (residential) model. I know it is only $3000 difference between the 18Hp 42" sport with and the 20hp 42" Fastrak - but it is $3K id rather have in my pocket. Does anyone run with the residential mowers and not have trouble with them?
    cheers
    Alby

Alby did you also look at the hustler super duty thats the one I would go for but as the other guys have said it depends on what you are mowing and how many lawns are you going to use it on, David s has a hustler he will give you a better idea on how they perform

My Rover dealer was getting rid of a Rover Cobra for just $7600. Commercial machine with Kwaka engine.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

How do you find that mower Blacktop i was looking at one the other day they look good
    I'm very happy with it Luke. If you're ever down this way, give me a call and come and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by EVAN86 View Post
    Hi, are you intending to catch most of your lawns or mulch? I was looking at the same two mowers a few months back and ended up purchasing a walker instead after talking to a fellow contractor who had just purchased the hustler sport, his opinion was it did a really nice finish but was hopeless at catching unless the grass was fairly short and dry.
    Evan
    I was looking at mulching mainly - problem with the Huslter mulching plug is that it takes forever to swap out. I like the idea of the mulch 'gate' that the Bobcat has .. just basically a cover over the side flap , 2 minutes to change, but it doesnt do quite as nice a job. But the lawns I do are not pristine lawns - they are just grass - usually mix of couch, buffalo and weeds.

Alby I have the Hustler Fastrak, I looked at the Sport, it just did not look solid enough for what I wanted to do, a mate owns one which he mows a 5acre area every week and he loves it. I have the catcher with mine. It's great on dry, well maintained lawns but get long wet grass and it's a pain. Takes about 5 minutes to take catcher completely off and about the same to put on. Used as a side throw it's good until you hit the really long wet grass then you have to slow right down and occassionally have go over the area twice. My Cox is better for the really long wet stuff. If the long grass is dry then the Fastrak is good. I have a mulch plug being made up as we speak. It's just a plate to cover the chute, it's held on via a clamp system. It's a lot like the Cox mulching plug. It will take about 2 minutes to unbolt. I use ASP mulching blades all the time as they have a better throw to clear the chute, they are also thicker and can handle the rocks and stuff I hit out here. I sharpen them once a fortnight in mowing season, so far I have a 100hrs out of them and look like getting probably another 50 to 100 hrs. Secret is to balance the blades when you sharpen and only use a flap disc it does not take as much metal off as a gringing disc.

Alby the other mower I was looking at was Badboy, it has a mulch plate like the bobcat. The only reason I bought the Hustler was the Badboy did not have armrests or a mid back seat. It was going to cost me a extra $660 to have a seat fitted, otherwise it was just as good as the Hustler.