Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4wd mower

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Default 4wd mower

Would like one of these. My local shop has one of these at the moment for a demo. Would be a very handy machine to have. Not that cheap for a 36" cut but would be a lot better on the ferel grounds than a ztr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9yHJFFQ20o

Default Re: 4wd mower

whats the damage?

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    whats the damage?
    If you have to ask you can't afford it
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

ok im not really interested anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    Would like one of these. My local shop has one of these at the moment for a demo. Would be a very handy machine to have. Not that cheap for a 36" cut but would be a lot better on the ferel grounds than a ztr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9yHJFFQ20o
    I
    If I am not mistaken, Masport have rebadged the Czech made Seco brand Crossjet mower.
    In many areas they much more lightly made and not as robust as some of the competitors

I think the "Rolls Royce" machine in this category is the AS-motor Sherpa 940 which is made in Germany (so maybe it should be the Audi instead . )

I can speak firsthand as I own one of the machines (one of the first batch of 4 brought into Australia).
    It is built like a tank and with it's 27hp motor and hydraulic drive on all 4 wheels is pretty well unstoppable.
    Clings to the ground like glue and is rated to climb 40deg slopes and 17deg cross-slope, but will take much more than that and still feels stable.
    Built like a tank with deck being galvanized before the final epoxy paint.
    It is rated as 'slasher with mulching blades' and not designed for doing fine turf
    In that sense, it is good for Cranbourne's feral block -- the manufacturer claiming it will tackle material up to 1500mm tall!

Here is a good video of a Sherpa in action on some steep and wet terrain!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzmcq_t5xWA
    Look at www.asmotor.com.au for more details.

Or better still have a talk to me!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    If you have to ask you can't afford it
    Just write a cheque! ...... Repent another day (if the 'finance minister'' gets stroppy)!

That's what I did (didn't have to battle the finance minister ) for my Sherpa 940 .... & enjoy it every time I climb into it's seat!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    whats the damage?
    about 14 grand

Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    I
    If I am not mistaken, Masport have rebadged the Czech made Seco brand Crossjet mower.
    In many areas they much more lightly made and not as robust as some of the competitors

I think the "Rolls Royce" machine in this category is the AS-motor Sherpa 940 which is made in Germany (so maybe it should be the Audi instead . )

I can speak firsthand as I own one of the machines (one of the first batch of 4 brought into Australia).
    It is built like a tank and with it's 27hp motor and hydraulic drive on all 4 wheels is pretty well unstoppable.
    Clings to the ground like glue and is rated to climb 40deg slopes and 17deg cross-slope, but will take much more than that and still feels stable.
    Built like a tank with deck being galvanized before the final epoxy paint.
    It is rated as 'slasher with mulching blades' and not designed for doing fine turf
    In that sense, it is good for Cranbourne's feral block -- the manufacturer claiming it will tackle material up to 1500mm tall!

Here is a good video of a Sherpa in action on some steep and wet terrain!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzmcq_t5xWA
    Look at www.asmotor.com.au for more details.

Or better still have a talk to me!

Joe
    You"ll have to pm your phone number. Another member and myself have been doing some massive jobs for a big aussie company and they have a lot of steep areas that cant be done because they don't have any contracters with the equipment. We have spoken about this and figure if things go well it might be worth investing in a couple of these machines.

Here is my Sherpa 4WD working on about a 20deg slope in Mt Dandenong.
    Handles it like an breeze. "Life was not meant to be easy .. but delightful" (Alice in Wondereland)

IMG_3646_1.jpg IMG_3668_1.jpg

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    Here is my Sherpa 4WD working on about a 20deg slope in Mt Dandenong.
    Handles it like an breeze. "Life was not meant to be easy .. but delightful" (Alice in Wondereland)

IMG_3646_1.jpg IMG_3668_1.jpg

Joe
    Joe your spending too much time on that machine. Your pants are way too clean and in that second photo you look like your about to go to sleep.

Joe your spending too much time on that machine. Your pants are way too clean and in that second photo you look like your about to go to sleep.
    "Pants way too clean..." Must be the 'New Omo' that my good wife uses ).
    Anyway I remember some time ago one of the trucking co's had their drivers wear suits!
    So maybe we should up our job title, call ourselves 'technicians' and wear white coats!

Joe. .....zzzz

HaHa I like the zzzz at the end. Mate looks like a good machine. Unfortunately I wont have to worry about it now. The company " gave the contract away" Maybe they should have thought about how the work was going to be done before they took it on. Some of the work they expected us to do was a 15 mtr high 40-45 degree embankment about a kilometre long. I did a couple of runs up one end of it on my ztr and felt like I was floating. Thought screw that. There was no weight left on the end of the mower. Would be a damn good contract to get if we went directly to the customer though. Would warrant spending the money on the necessary equipment.

That thing's awesome. Looks like it has Simex Centipedes on the rear rims!

...Some of the work they expected us to do was a 15 mtr high 40-45 degree embankment about a kilometre long. ....Would warrant spending the money on the necessary equipment.
    If the embankment bank is 15m and that steep, you need something secure
    The video of the 'tilt mower' is not bad, but can still be flipped easily if they hit a 'wombat hole' (actually I have found Euro wasp nests in the ground -- undetected nests about 1 year after occupation and they rotted down/collapsed to be a nasty little pit trap for a wheel) and destabilise the machine.

I think better machine for this sort of job is where you are not onboard,
    like this Spider brand machine.
    Dont think they come cheap, but way cheaper than broken flesh & bones and ppl/co's which have such nasty embankments have to wear the cost.
    AFAIK, there is a local dealer/rep, but never seen a machine firsthand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3J8dQkUiOE

Would love such a 'toy' or a 'platoon' of them but they would have to earn their keep in a big way, & I am not inclined to be that much of an entrepreneur / take on lots of business risk at my stage of life.
    I should be instead putting feet up & enjoying ones super.

Joe. ...zzzz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast