Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pond maintenance, fish, fountains etc

Default Pond maintenance, fish, fountains etc

I need some instruction on all things ponds; cleaning, refilling, looking after the fish in between start and finish and also how to go about installing a fountain too possibly.

Can anyone school me who has had some experience in such matters?

I'll get a pic of the pond in the next few days. It's a bit of a mess at present and needs to be drained, cleaned, most likely a fountain added, plants re-installed, fish re-installed etc etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Pond maintenance, fish, fountains etc

Hi Paul we have a small pond which i'm proud to say is pretty much self sufficient, we put goldfish in along with some plant life and all seems to hum along just fine. We never feed the fish they seem to get plenty off the plant life, they seem to be pretty happy and they seem to breed just fine as we have plenty of small goldfish running around. When we moved in the old owner took the pump with him so the water dripping down the water feature has not been seen for a while lol but it is on the list of things to do. I'm assuming this would help oxygenate the water but the goldfish are pretty tuff and don't seem to mind.

What sort of fish are you going to put in?

Member of forum watlebird mowing's Avatar

I know a fair bit about fish and ponds etc, ask away mate or I can PM you my number if you want a chat about it
    Cheers
    Ben

Wattlebird Lawn Mowing & Garden Service.
    Let us take the hard work out of your garden!

whatever you do, don't break a fountain... very expensive and very hard to find a replacement..... speaking from experience here

Paul we have a pond, like Scooby it is self sufficient, with fish that breed like crazy (I give away at least 20 small fry each year) and just in the last couple of months we have also noticed that frogs have taken up residence. I am very excited about the frogs, it means we are doing something right.

We have plenty of aquatic plants, water lillies, elodia (but that must be thinned regularly or it takes over), aram lillies and water reeds of various types, as well as plenty of places for fish to hide from predatory birds (overhanging rocks and the plants help with this). The surrounds are planted out with plants that obviously provide plenty of protection for the frogs.

We used to run a waterfall and filtration system but the motor went and it wasn't until this stopped working that we got our first round of baby fish...I tell you I was so excited to see the "grandkids" that first time.

Sometimes in warmer weather we can have an algal bloom try and take over but a quick dose of anti-algal drops which you can get at any place that sells ponds and fish and that is taken care of. We thin the elodia about every 4 months but not coming in to breeding season. We have a new lot of fry hatched about 4 weeks ago...last count there was 40. Usually only half survive and I give them away to friends/family.

Ponds aren't half as scary as people think.
    ~ Joanne ~

Very Helpful Member

Frogs also don't like moving water so the fountain breaking has probably allowed the frogs in
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Very Helpful Member

now this is my preferred type of pond fauna http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/sh...152#post110152
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

idealy you want to have a filter and airation. let the pond run in for a week or two. Then take a third of the water out every week or two to get rid of the nitrates. Dont do what a lot of people do and drain it completely to clean it as this is actually worse for the fish than letting the water get old. If you have a filter don't clean it completely either as this will kill most of the nitrifing bacteria.

Sorry the spelling might not be the best as it is melbourne cup day.

Ian we have similar tastes in fauna!

Thanks for the advice already everyone. I've learned a lot already from you all. Gotta love the forum for that!

At this stage I don't even know what sort of fish or how many are in the pond; it is that green! (but I expect they'd be Goldfish)

I don't know a lot about water plants either so hopefully when I get the pics some of you might be able to help there too.

Luckily a cousin of mine works for or manages Water Dynamics here so I might be able to source pumps etc from him.

Have to go to my Uncle's funeral tomorrow but will get some pics tomorrow afternoon or Thursday.

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Another good tip if you want to propell the cycling of the pond, visit a local aquarium or another pond you have access to and ask for some used media... dump the media in the pond and let the new filter collect the goodies

This will get things running healthy in a few days instead of a few weeks.

If it is only gold fish, that's even easier!

*note to self... must set up new fish tank that wife completely emptied 12 months ago and somehow cracked the glass when taking tank to the back shed. The local pet supply store a few streets away got a bargain on his doorstep that day... 28 african cichlids and some chunky bristle noses to boot! Haven't stepped foot into that store since! (sorry about that emotional outburst)

Simmo.

I've seen big Cichlids in action. Freaky!

This is the pond I'm going to be working on.

I'm thinking of starting with pruning back some of the plants around the edge for better access but not sure what to do from there?

The client was thinking of a waterfall feature at the top or a fountain in the pond. The overflow is at the bottom of pic where the hose is and this just runs into the garden and lawn.

The bottom of the pond looks like it will need to be desludged so I'm thinking everything has to come out?

It was interesting to read above that fish didn't breed and frogs didn't arrive unless the pond was still. Would fish eggs get sucked into the filter?

20121109_122927.jpg

we used to have a pond. gold fish dont need as much oxygen in the water as most fish, so a pump might not be necessary but for most other fish it is
    Indy and proud

Very Helpful Member

the plants will be oxygenating the water so a pump will be unnecessary for oxygenation

Member Rye Victoria great nature's Avatar

A good little tip for attracting frogs is having a little solar garden light. Attracts insects at night, food for the frogs(and fishies).
    Oh and comets from past experience are good, hardy goldfish.
    Also heres a link for oxygenating plants(not all plants oxygenate the water): http://www.ozwatergardens.com.au/oxygenating-plants

Rae

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast