Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Victa Turfmaster Design??

Default Victa Turfmaster Design??

I'm on the gripe with the Victa design team.

It's no wonder the Turfmaster is not competing on the market when it should as it has a wider grass exit chute beside the gearbox than some.

I've spent much time, lost income and frustration with the stuipd plastic flap arrangement that flexes in heat and drops the grass catcher REPEATEDLY along with it's miniture flap spring in the equation.
    The catcher frame itself needs a stronger cross piece of metal brace to hold the weight of wet grass.

Today I spat it with the increpid design and had to pull the pin on the arvo jobs as it dropped the catcher every 20ft of progress. It's not the first time I've had to modify to keep it going.
    I will be asking the dealer to see B/S//Victa rep when the are expected to show what failure means in design.

Late this arvo and into the evening in a real hurry, I'v had to try and stop the flap lid from flexing in the heat and applied hi-strenght Bog filler in between the underside plastic stengthening webbings that don't work. (Pictured)
    Also welded a simple hooking device to ensure it doesn't drop the catcher tomorrow.
    Plus a previously posted picture of how to increase the flimsy spring tensions as a temp measure.

I just detest badly designed things from people with uni degress in engineering who should be able to do better. Then they go home and brag to family over dinner how great this mower we developed will be released to the public.

Yep, you can tell I was/am and have been p***ed today into this evening and hopefully not too much tomorrow. Now it's done I need a COLD beer.

Spring mod that gives a further10 months of time before a spring replace.

Bog in between plastic webbing of flap

Handy work

Welding in a hurry and wanted some strength to it.
    Cheers Garry

Default Re: Victa Turfmaster Design??

As much as people malign Hondas I can tell you the catchers don't drop off them Garry!

the bugbear of victa catchers since the 70's

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    As much as people malign Hondas I can tell you the catchers don't drop off them Garry!
    Paul,
    I've looked at catcher setup on the honda and they in the Star Trek era, whilst Victa is the Saturn Rocket development.
    The bugger of a catcher better not fall of tomorrow.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    the bugbear of victa catchers since the 70's
    Yep, at least my Victa has some 2012 arc welding hopefully taking it into the 2013 International CES awards nomination - guess I'd better dry clean my suit incase they call me.
    Cheers Garry

I have awarded myself an Honoray Degree in Engineering as my Grass Catcher has not dropped, something Victa can't achieve. It slows me just slightly re hooking the chain loop on /off. But it works and now I'm in top gear knowing it won't drop and cause an accident.

Guess I'll look like this bloke when it gets presented to me. Best I get me speech together.

Cheers Garry

good stuff Garry Bsc.eng.

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    good stuff Garry Bsc.eng.

Regards,

Garry Bsc.eng

I can used to that as my letterhead signature, thanks Redeye
    Cheers Garry

Well done Gazza
    If it wasn't for the discoveries and developments made by the common bloke, all these academics would have bugger all to stuff to actually study when they go to Uni.

How good would it be if the white shirted, soft handed, business lunching academiacs got the shaft, and were replaced with someone like us who could design something that did the job properly.

They'd be out of a job, but at least they could pick up some gardening work - pruning dead bouganvillea maybe, or whippying dog bombs.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.