Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Honda HRX217HYA imported from USA - A better mower for less $$ than an Aussie HRU ???

Default Re: Honda HRX217HYA imported from USA - A better mower for less $$ than an Aussie HRU

thank you from Honda ...its about as close as youll get mate lol
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Default Re: Honda HRX217HYA imported from USA - A better mower for less $$ than an Aussie HRU

Quote Originally Posted by Arfa Brayne View Post
    Still waiting for a "thank you" from Honda for doing all their R@D and market analysis while they did corporate dinners and free bar tabs.

Copy and paste my work - then hand it to the boss.

Agreed.

Okay 14 14 14 14 14

I see Speedway Sales are not selling to Australia anymore. I just tried to buy blades and a bag, and at the checkout, the only country options are USA, UK and Germany.

Anyone know where we can get blades cheap?

Hi SunMowing - since they sell the HRX in Aust now maybe try a Honda dealer.

Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

$90?, fark they'd want to last a good while

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

No one has said a bad word about these mowers yet, but I am still not convinced they are better than the current 216. I had a look at one the other day in my Honda dealer, and they are plastic, I just cant believe that it would outlast the alloy base, which I only get about 18 months out of. I put this down to the sandy soil around here and the amount of lawns we are mowing. But then I see a set of blades for $90 bucks, are you kidding me, they would want to last a couple of months which I doubt they would. I go thru a set of blades every 3 to 4 days this time of year, no doubt that bar blade would last longer but how long??? Arfa is the one with most hours on one of these mowers, your imput on my concerns may ease my mind

Lightbulb Re: Honda HRX217HYA imported from USA - A better mower for less $$ than an Aussie HRU

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    No one has said a bad word about these mowers yet, but I am still not convinced they are better than the current 216. I had a look at one the other day in my Honda dealer, and they are plastic, I just cant believe that it would outlast the alloy base, which I only get about 18 months out of. I put this down to the sandy soil around here and the amount of lawns we are mowing. But then I see a set of blades for $90 bucks, are you kidding me, they would want to last a couple of months which I doubt they would. I go thru a set of blades every 3 to 4 days this time of year, no doubt that bar blade would last longer but how long??? Arfa is the one with most hours on one of these mowers, your imput on my concerns may ease my mind
    $90 for a set of blades is typical Honda Australia "bend over mate" pricing.

I got a bunch of genuine honda blades for $13 each (lower - shipped with mower from USA) and $16 each (upper - special parcel including freight ex USA)
    They outlast 2-3 sets of the cox ride on blades I use on the HRU 216's, which outlast 2-3 sets of standard HRU 216 OME blades.
    So as a direct comparison,
    - HRX217HYA lower blade cuts the same amount of lawns you would need at least 6x sets of HRU 216 standard swingback blades and bolt sets.
    - HRX217HYA upper blade cuts the same amount of lawns you would need at least 12x sets of HRU 216 standard swingback blades and bolt sets.

To give you an idea, my original HRX is on it's 4th lower and 2nd upper blade after 2x years of mowing.
    I don't know what OME Honda HRU swingback blades cost - (haven't used 'em for more than a decade) - but
    2x HRX lowers + 1x HRX upper = $42-00 (buying from USA) = 24 x pairs HRU swingback blades & bolts @ $10/pair = $240.00 (ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-21-...-/200840058229 )

Alloy Vs Plastic
    The turf/soil here is not sandy - so it's a big difference to your conditions. Main abrasion to my decks and blades are gumnuts, sticks and rocks.

Generally (for my conditions) the alloy decks of the old HRU's would wear through just in front of the LH rear wheel at around 2 1/2 years mowing. By this amount of work the old HRU's were ready for retirement, as just about everything else was worn out except the engine (which was about 3/4 worn out)
    The HRX is currently looking like it will go well past 2 1/2 years. When it does wear thin, I'll experiment with a hot air gun and some plastic filler rod to see how hard plastic welding is. At least I don't need tig and argon like repairing cast alloy does.

I've heard rumours that Speedway are not selling to Australia any more (possibly a directive by Honda Australia to force purchases here locally) - but it's just a matter of using one of the many companies that "on-freight" to Australia from the USA. I'm just glad I ordered a few mowers and spares while the exchange rate was favourable and Honda OPE Australia were still unaware they sold equipment to contractors who mow lawns.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

i change the lower blade like every 3 months and upper blade every 4-5 months.
    after 2 years use, the deck still in good conditions..

some car bumpers are also plastic now

looked at the HRX217 last week, It didn't take long to work out its a piece a ****, the height adjustment is crap, small adjustment handles and 4 to adjust is ridiculous. It also had a lot of resistance when pulling mower backwards, wasn't free wheeling.

Worse case, hit US eBay for blades $24 a set plus shipping. Even at one set your $20 a set cheaper than buying locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    looked at the HRX217 last week, It didn't take long to work out its a piece a ****, the height adjustment is crap, small adjustment handles and 4 to adjust is ridiculous. It also had a lot of resistance when pulling mower backwards, wasn't free wheeling.
    I had the same thoughts initially Macka with the adjustments, would still prefer the single adjuster but the mower is so good otherwise its not a deal breaker.

Love my hrx, even choose to use it on some of my old ride in yards
    I spend most of my money on beer and horses, I just waste the rest....

http://www.sterlinggardenservices.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    Fair criticism. - all valid and true. (although the pulling backward issue is most likely cable adjustment)

What mower is a better alternative then ?
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

I've got an hour meter on my HRX. In Brisbane soil conditions (which until recently meant mowing lots of dirt, rather than grass) I am getting 40-45 hours out of a bottom blade and double that out of a top blade.

Good news, blades are not $90 a set. I recently needed a bottom blade urgently so I tried my local Honda dealer and was pleasantly surprised. Bottom blades are about $25 each. I bought their entire stock of two bottom blades (hopefully they'll increase their inventory in future) and negotiated a 10% discount. Happy with that. Top blades are cheaper.

My HRX has 120 hours on it and overall I am still very pleased with it.

I've had a few minor issues recently, which would be more of a problem for someone who doesn't like (or have the confidence) to tinker with their machine. It has been running rich, using too much fuel and fouling plugs. Initially I thought it was an air filter issue. But after changing the filter and installing a Victa snorkel kit, I still had issues. Turns out the auto choke was not working. The choke is held in a normally-closed position automatically by spring pressure. As the mower warms up, a wax-actuator on the cylinder head pushes the choke open. Well, mine was not working and the choke was staying closed. I didn't have time to mess around with the wax-actuator so for the immediate-term, I removed the choke butterfly completely and couldn't be happier with the result. The mower starts first pull (I am in balmy Brisbane remember) and has a slight power increase and improvement in response to thick grass. It remains to be seen if I have ruined the first-pull starting of my Honda in the cold of winter, but a whole new carb is for these costs bugger all, so if I've just made a high performance summer only carb for my GCV190, I'm happy with that. I may need to fix the wax-actuator when winter comes.

My electric start is currently not working. But I am confident I can fix that. Just need to find the time to take a look at it. The pull start works fine.

Macka, my machine has very little resistance to pull backwards, it freewheels fine. The drive lever needs to be fully disengaged to pull backwards, of course. Yep, the 4 wheel adjusters are a PITA. And you're dead right about the short handles, they're not long enough. But, you get used to it, and a regular clean and lube with lanolin spray makes the process a bit less painful.

I did my valve adjustment at 100 hours. Both valves were loose at about 0.3mm. Adjusting per Honda specs (0.15mm for in and 0.2mm for ex) made the engine a lot quieter. It was very easy job with good access to the screw and lock-nut adjusters once the rocker cover was off. Though the rocker cover was a b*tch to get off - needed a real good pry. I did not notice any difference in performance.

I haven't worked out how to adjust the governor yet, but that is next on the mod-list. I need to get a bit more speed out of her.

This may be a re-post, but for anyone interested in changing the max RPM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOHv3X42-wk

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast