When my last new Hru216d got pulled from the shed last month, I knew it was time to bite the bullet and find a replacement model for the business.
The local offering from Honda was the HRU216M = same old tired GXV160 motor & gearbox with a blade brake/clutch for $1,600.00, so I had a look around and I think I've found a better option in the USA. It's a genuine Honda with a Better motor, better drive, better mulching, better catching, lighter, and for only US$680 + freight. The USA model is a HRX217HYA - so I imported one for trial.
Mower HRX 9.12.12 002 (800x600).jpgMower HRX 9.12.12 008 (800x600).jpg

Checked out the options on Evilbay, the Chondas are tempting - being a copy of what I've run for more than 10 years, but I'd heard a fair bit about Proscape's stuff, and liked the idea of a more powerful motor (Kawasaki), so I bought a Proscape 21inch Self drive first (before the HRX217) to try out , it only took a day - there were so many faults and failings with it I sold it to a bloke for $150 less than I bought it for after only cutting 20m of grass. Piece of crap in my opinion.

The HRX is just the opposite - OK, first what I don't like -
  • I don't like the 4x height adjusters (one for each wheel), but it cuts flat - unlike the crescent cut finish of the local HRU's.
  • The deck is "Nexite" = (Honda speak for "plastic"), but I bought a plastic deck mower for my parents 13 years ago and it's bloody bullet proof, so it will be interesting to see how long it lasts in a commercial environment. The Honda alloy decks always fail at around 2x years service on the gearbox/LH side of the deck, so if it lasts 2 years it's as good - we'll see.
  • The drive system runs gears in the wheels like a Rover drive system - which are 1960's design garbage, let's hope Honda have got it right, and the input to the hydrostatic drive is by belt - another fail point compared to the shaft drive Honda 3 speed box. Once again - we'll see.

Mower HRX 9.12.12 007 (800x600).jpgMower HRX 9.12.12 009 (800x600).jpg

Now for the good bits -
  • First has to be the 187 cc Honda motor. Cast sleeve bore, Overhead cam (not just overhead valve) with a decent torque curve - at last a bit more power!!
  • Equal first is the Hydrostatic drive - It's faster than the old 3 speed by almost another gear, infinitely variable drive means no wheelspin marks on boggy lawns, and although I don't like the "gear in wheel" system it drops the drive axle lower and opens up the grass chute.
  • Versamow mulch system - not only is it less awkward than a seperate mulch plug, but it works better. It packs the catcher FULL of grass without choking, and when you set it to "mulch" it's hard to tell that the lawn was mulched and not caught. Bloody beautiful finish compared to the Aussie HRU.

And the unknown -
The blade brake/clutch - new area for me, I like that I can stop the blades without stopping the mower, but it means you can't let go of the handle without the blades stopping - which is a real bugger when you're turning at the end of a run, slows you down heaps.
But we all know can't is a terrible word, so I've modded the blade brake with a catch that locks it on, and with a bump of the palm releases it. = no more "can't".
The other thing with the blade brake is the possibility of more to go wrong, more to fail/repair. Wait and see.